Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How my world has changed ... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445877)

yourmailman 11-15-2012 10:01 PM

How my world has changed ...

My world has changed since I bought my stringing machine!

Not too very long ago, I had my racquets strung pretty darned tight. I carry 4 to 6 racquets on any given day. When I got back into tennis a few years ago, I would carry 6 religiously. 2 at 60, 2 at 65 and 2 at 70 (yes, 70). I would use the different tensions depending on my opponent, the speed of the court, and the weather. Having 2 at each tension insured that I always had a backup to whatever I was using.

I don't break that many strings, but I would always have the ones of the same tension restrung at the same time, and the cost started adding up.

When I got an unexpected bonus earlier this year, I decided to incest in a stringing machine. I researched and pondered for quite a while on what was the best machine for me with the funds I had. I wound up getting a Gamma 5003 two point machine.

Since I started stringing in May, I have learned a great deal from this forum, from some YouTube videos, and from my coach.

I started coming down on my tension and found that many of my shots were much more consistent around 52 to 50. A pretty fair distance from the 70 and 65 that I had been playing.

Erlier in the year, I got some Dunlop Biomimetic 100's from TW Europe. I absolutely loved them. I had them strung from the store, 3 at 52 and 3 at 50.

All was fine with the world until I went to Indian Wells this spring. While playing on the courts at the hotel, I actually broke a string. The next day, we trucked into the TW tent at the tournament. I had a nice talk with the stringer, purchased some syn-gut strings and had him string the racquet at 48. I like that even better than the 50's and 52's.

When I got my stringing machine, I practiced on a few of my old Aerogel 500's, then set about restringing my Biomimetic 100's at 48, 46 and 44. The next round, I went a little lower ... 45, 44 and 42.

People started commenting on the amount of power I had, and how much my serve had improved, and I could see very little on my video tapes of matches that was different, so I concluded it was the lower string tension.

A week ago, I broke a string and decided to to experiment. I did something drastic ... I strung it at 38 (co-poly mains and syn-gut crosses). I played one match with it and totally smoked a guy who had always beat me the few times we played.

So today, I tried another experiment. I took another Bio 100 and cut the strings out. I restrung with all syn-gut at 36 and headed out for my doubles match. It may be partly mental, but I was a different player. I was able to get huge amounts of topspin on my ground strokes, and some of the shots I made at net actually surprised the crap out of me. Nice, crisp volleys with lots of pop, and some insane angles. I also had a slew of aces and service winners. Granted, it did take a little getting used to. I hit quite few long until I backed down on the throttle a little.

A friend of mine pointed out that I was now playing with a string tension that is about half what I was using only a year ago. That blew my mind!

How my world has changed!

I also seem to be able to string a lot faster at the lower tension. Is that normal, or am I just getting used to my machine?

Has anyone else experimented with ridiculously low string tension?

ATP100 11-15-2012 11:44 PM

Use the search function, there's a big thread on it.
Nothing new.

mikeler 11-16-2012 05:01 AM

Your decision to "incest" in a stringing machine has payed off. Congrats.

Mongolmike 11-16-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7019445)
Your decision to "incest" in a stringing machine has payed off. Congrats.

Sorry, that stuck with me too... made me laugh. I love my stringing machine too, but I do have my limits.

mikeler 11-16-2012 06:36 AM

On serious note, with the Exo Tours I'm using now I'd go broke if I had to pay stringing labor.

yourmailman 11-16-2012 07:37 AM

As William Shatner said in Star Trek IV ... "One little mistake!"

Thanx guys, it is funny now that I see it. Must have been tired. Or maybe it was a Freudian slip. :shock:

The machine has not yet paid for itself, but it is well on its way. Plus, I like the fact that I can experiment whenever I want.

I have gotten much better since I started a few months ago. It used to take me an hour to do one racquet. Now I can do the mains in under 15 minutes, and the crosses take about 25. I could probably do better speed wise, but I always double check my crosses to avoid having to pull them out and start over because of one mistake.

I have been using two pieces on all of my racquets, even when they are the same. It just seems a little easier to me. I have heard that a one piece has less tension loss over time. Is there that big of a difference? I have not seen any tension loss on my two piece jobs with the same type string. I always double tie every knot.

jim e 11-16-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourmailman (Post 7019640)
I could probably do better speed wise, but I always double check my crosses to avoid having to pull them out and start over because of one mistake.

As far as cross string weaving goes, if you start the weaving under the first main you will then be going over the last main, and the reverse is true as well, so if you start the same way each time, (I start typically going under the first main, as it is easier for me to go over the last main as it is a straight shot into the grommet that way, and saves me a little more time) . That way if you end the same way each time there will not be a mis weave unless there is an unlikely 2 mis weaves in one row.
Now you can string and not bother to check for a mis weave.

yourmailman 11-16-2012 08:57 AM

Thanx Jim.

I found that to be the best way. As you said, it is much easier to hit the grommet when the last weave is over the main. I guess I am still just a little self conscious and don't want to make a mistake and have to do the crosses over again.

sundaypunch 11-16-2012 11:29 AM

I'm just surprised that syn. gut at 36-lbs. is not a rocket launcher.

yourmailman 11-16-2012 11:36 AM

It can be. That's why I was hitting quite a few long in the first game or two before I got the knack of controlling it.

The topspin I get seems to pull it down into the court really well, and I have to aim a little better on my volleys.

dak95_00 11-16-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

I have heard that a one piece has less tension loss over time. Is there that big of a difference? I have not seen any tension loss on my two piece jobs with the same type string. I always double tie every knot.

Uh.... I thought lower tension or tension loss was the point.... Just kidding but you've got to see the irony of such a statement.

As far as loss goes, it would be a percentage of the overall tension which would be much lower due to the initial low tensions. I've tried as low as 30 but I'll have to give it a go again. I still prefer 58-60 lbs but it is cold here and I'd think lower tensions would be much more comfortable in colder weather.

I also think working my way down from higher to lower w/ normal intervals would be a smart way to do it. I tried to jump from 60 straight to 30 and it was difficult.

yourmailman 11-16-2012 08:40 PM

Dak,

I was asking, because even at the higher tensions, I didn't see any significant tension loss on any of my racquets. I have an app that measures tension and I keep track on all my racquets to see when there is tension loss.

I actually saw more loss on the one piece string job that came with the racquet.

I don't know if I would have felt the same if I had jumped down from 65 or 70 to 38 or 40. That seems like a very radical move. Moving down a few pounds at a time has allowed me to get the feel of what each step down does for my game. If I had gone down and didn't like the results, I would have gone back up. So far, I am liking everything about the very low tension.

fortun8son 11-16-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

As William Shatner said in Star Trek IV ... "One little mistake!"

Thanx guys, it is funny now that I see it. Must have been tired. Or maybe it was a Freudian slip. :shock:

It's a good thing you are not using those Freudian clamps. They always slip.:twisted:

yourmailman 11-16-2012 11:12 PM

The first thing I did when I got my Gamma 5003 was replace the Freudian clamps!

fortun8son 11-17-2012 12:17 AM

...and sometimes a starting clamp is just a starting clamp.

yourmailman 11-18-2012 07:43 AM

Sometimes you're the windshield ... sometimes you're the bug!

I have seen several people say that it is harder to weave the crosses with the main tension at an extremely low number. I have found just the opposite.

Any thoughts?

yourmailman 11-24-2012 10:39 PM

Ordered a tension calibrator to double check my stringing machine. It registered right on at 2 different tension settings.

I will check it again in a few months.

I'm really starting to enjoy the stringing. I have progressed to the point were I can double task and watch the tele while stringing.

It's really great to have complete control over my strings instead of depending on someone else to do it. No waiting, no payout for the labor, fun for the cats (chasing the ends).

yourmailman 12-11-2012 09:30 PM

I have also now done a few string jobs for friends. They all seem to like the results and one even said it was better than the last one they got from a pro at their home club.

I am not charging anything, because it is still a learning experience for me.

I now have all of my playing Biomimetic 100s strung up at 30#. One each of the following ... all syn-gut, all poly, poly mains & syn-gut crosses, syn-gut mains and poly crosses.

I like them all, but am partial to the all syn-gut. The all poly seems a little stiff, even at the low tension. I need some more play time with the hybrids, but they seem very promising.

Irvin 12-12-2012 03:22 AM

Yourlimboman

If your full poly is too stiff have you tried any lower? How low can you go?

yourmailman 12-12-2012 10:42 AM

I am going to try the poly at 20#s.

I played today with all three again and still like the syn-gut the best, but the hybrid is growing on me.