Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Heavier, middleweight, or light? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445932)

LeeD 11-16-2012 03:21 PM

Heavier, middleweight, or light?

I see all these threads on plowthrough.
Who would win on a one on one match? Conan the Barbarian? Someone strong wielding a huge sword with skill.
ToshiroMifuni in 7 Samurai? A skilled sumurai.
Or one of the 3 Musketeers, using their epee's?
Power vs versatility vs speed and quickness.

stringertom 11-17-2012 04:18 AM

Errol Flynn...GOAT of swordsmen! If you haven't already read My Wicked Wicked Ways, please do! The autobiography of the real "most interesting man in the world". He would never have settled for a Dos Equis!

tennytive 11-17-2012 05:23 AM

My vote goes to the skilled samurai.

By the time Conan could raise his sword, the sam would cut him off at the knees and jump back out of harm's way.

The musketeer would have a better chance, but if he didn't score on the first attack, the sam would slice him up faster than the deli man with a baked ham.

Of course this presumes no armor allowed.

LeeD 11-17-2012 01:14 PM

So would this be applicable to tennis?
First strike is important.
Power is important.
Avoiding the power is very important to survive.
First strike with little power might not reward you with a win.
Huge power only is important if you have time to use it.

maverick66 11-17-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennytive (Post 7021101)

Of course this presumes no armor allowed.

This is a big part of it.

Also there are to many variables in your question.

Where do they fight, do they duel, and how can we ever make the skill level of each person the same?

I will add I would be shocked if we didnt get a whole bunch of people saying samurais as they are the most over glorified group of warriors ever in history.

LeeD 11-17-2012 03:13 PM

I'd like to think a fencer has the advantage in speed, in and out, side to side, and quickness of strike. I came in 7th in StanfordU's, Novice competition, out of 400+ entries, my first semester, against 4th semester fencers.
A samurai would have more than twice the power, and less than half the speed, the sword being more than twice as heavy.
Conan would have every advanatage in power, and would always win if he could either first strike or counter, given enough time and speed. For sure, speed is a disadvantage, but intimidation factor the biggest advantage....along with biggest target (takes a big guy to wield that big sword).
Since I"m small and light (5'11" and 145lbs), maybe a cross between an epee and a samurai sword is most efficient. Something either two handed like a smaller Katana, or bigger one handed like a sabre from cavalry days.
Now would this also apply to tennis? The whole point to this otherwise senseless debate?
Using Aero500's now, but maybe a little too light for effective strikes against strong 4.0 opponents. Adding an oz for 11 oz, for slightly more power and penetration, and OS for bigger sweetspot... MicroGelRadOS.