Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Dumb ways to die... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445935)

Tammo 11-16-2012 04:41 PM

Dumb ways to die...

better link in second post

Tammo 11-16-2012 04:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kre9wcMiNX0

quest01 11-16-2012 06:51 PM

I read this story where an old lady was sleeping in her bed and a tree fell, went through the roof, landed on her bed and killed her. That's a weird way to die. I can't imagine where your sleeping peacefully in your bed and all of a sudden a split second later your dead from being crushed from a tree.

SoBad 11-16-2012 07:38 PM

If I climbed Mt. Everest and made it safely home, and then took a shower, slipped, fell, and damaged my head in a lethal way, I'd say that's a pretty unfortunate way to go away.

ollinger 11-17-2012 05:37 AM

A compulsive swallower (nails, pins, small pieces of metal, etc.) from the local state psychiatric hospital was often admitted to the hospital I practice in some years ago after swallowing things, to be treated medically. Unable to do anythng for him, the state finally decided to keep leather mittens strapped on his hands at all times in the hope he couldn't then pick things up to swallow. One day he started to chew threough the mittens to try to get them off, accidentally aspirated (inhaled) a piece of the leather, choked and died.

stringertom 11-17-2012 12:32 PM

Those are examples of bad luck deaths. A dumb death would be something like Steve Jobs' demise. Here's a very wealthy guy who could have had any available treatment for his problem but ignored warning signs and then sought experimental treatments that delayed the proper procedures until it was too late for what he needed. We'll never know how much longer he could have survived had he pursued more conventional treatment earlier and that's a shame for us he played dumb in the biggest predictament anyone can face.

treblings 11-17-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoBad (Post 7020722)
If I climbed Mt. Everest and made it safely home, and then took a shower, slipped, fell, and damaged my head in a lethal way, I'd say that's a pretty unfortunate way to go away.

similar story happened to Reinhold Messner, one of the better mountain climbers out there.
injured himself seriously trying to climb over the wall at his home, because he couldnīt find the keys. multiple fractures that took months to heal

SoBad 11-17-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 7021718)
Those are examples of bad luck deaths. A dumb death would be something like Steve Jobs' demise. Here's a very wealthy guy who could have had any available treatment for his problem but ignored warning signs and then sought experimental treatments that delayed the proper procedures until it was too late for what he needed. We'll never know how much longer he could have survived had he pursued more conventional treatment earlier and that's a shame for us he played dumb in the biggest predictament anyone can face.

The thing about getting sick is that it affects your judgment and ability to analyse the problem and seek cure. Also, successful (wealthy) people are often lonely, because they find it hard to trust people around them, usually for good reasons. I think the combination of these two factors explains many celebrity/wealthy deaths (including overdose/suicide cases) that appear bizarre and difficult to explain on the surface.

SoBad 11-17-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7021766)
similar story happened to Reinhold Messner, one of the better mountain climbers out there.
injured himself seriously trying to climb over the wall at his home, because he couldnīt find the keys. multiple fractures that took months to heal

I believe an Everest conqueror actually did die in a shower slip at home at one time, I just cannot think of the name.

Vermillion 11-17-2012 09:08 PM

Without living.

SoBad 11-17-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermillion (Post 7022368)
Without living.

Truer words have never been spoken.