Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jungle Law /Law of the Jungle ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445964)

chrischris 11-17-2012 06:44 AM

Jungle Law /Law of the Jungle ?

What does this mean to you and why so?

Its a common expression .

Its widely accepted to mean lawlessness.

I recently discovered it may actually mean precisely the opposite.

ollinger 11-17-2012 06:57 AM

It means that as carbon dioxide emissions from the burning of fossil fuels continue we are witnessing recession of the jungle as it is replaced by arid and desert terrain. In West Africa the jungle recedes by several thousand square kilometers each year, as it is replaced by extension of the Sahara Desert. Only by using safe and renewable sources of energy such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, nuclear, geothermal, and hamster wheel can this steady erosion of our beloved environment be halted and hopefully reversed. Is this the new Law of the Jungle, chrischris?

vive le beau jeu ! 11-17-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 7021186)
What does this mean to you and why so?

Its a common expression .

Its widely accepted to mean lawlessness.

I recently discovered it may actually mean precisely the opposite.

for me it's "law of the strongest"... but maybe you mean it was a kinda 'set of rules' in kipling's jungle book ?

anyway, today your thread made me think about this old cartoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4hXdsVUnp4
;)

r2473 11-17-2012 07:02 AM

I've always taken it to mean that Federer is GOAT.

OHBH 11-17-2012 07:09 AM

I always thought it to be about social darwinism. Though in some cases I believe it simply refers to the status quo much like the phrase "that's the law of the land" i.e that is just the way things are. The two different phrasings you use really make a difference in that regard. While "Jungle Law" sounds much more inclined to social darwinism, "the law of the jungle" is much more like my second example.

chrischris 11-17-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBH (Post 7021228)
I always thought it to be about social darwinism. Though in some cases I believe it simply refers to the status quo much like the phrase "that's the law of the land" i.e that is just the way things are. The two different phrasings you use really make a difference in that regard. While "Jungle Law" sounds much more inclined to social darwinism, "the law of the jungle" is much more like my second example.

'Just the way things are' is a bit along what i heard.
What does that mean?

Are things naturally out to kill each other for survival?

Sumo 11-17-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 7021546)

Are things naturally out to kill each other for survival?

Yes, either for food or ensuring DNA is passed on.

chrischris 11-17-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumo (Post 7021642)
Yes, either for food or ensuring DNA is passed on.

Ok, but in addition there is evidence of a broader and more soothing meaning of Jungle Law/ Law of the Jungle.
Competition in its original and sustainable form and sense.

Sumo 11-17-2012 11:50 AM

Kill or be killed.

chrischris 11-17-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumo (Post 7021666)
Kill or be killed.

Thats the common interpretation of 'Jungle Law/Law of the Jungle'.

But i counter.
Its not the more interesting understanding and meaning of the law.
There is another one that i find eyeopening and more true to fact.

LeeD 11-17-2012 03:21 PM

Bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, smarter, luckier, smaller, all have the same applications. More, you live. Less, you won't.

chrischris 11-18-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7022013)
Bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, smarter, luckier, smaller, all have the same applications. More, you live. Less, you won't.

Is that meant to mean 'everyone for themselves'
individuality over teams?

Sumo 11-18-2012 07:33 AM

Why don't you just tell us what you want to hear.

chrischris 11-18-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumo (Post 7022779)
Why don't you just tell us what you want to hear.

Do you in the real jungle see obese animals?

LeeD 11-18-2012 01:53 PM

Sure you do. In societal congregations, there are slim strong hunters and a ruling class of overweight, under conditioned leaders. The leaders USED to be the hunters, but now have fallen off a bit due to age and reputation.
You can survive as a loner, a pack, or a mass. There are drawbacks of each.

chrischris 11-18-2012 02:26 PM

Ok,would you lean toward cooperation or individuality being the best strategy for survival 'in the jungle' / in nature?

LeeD 11-18-2012 03:02 PM

Depends on your disposition, your strengths, and your weaknesses.
Social animals will always favor a societal way of living.
Loners can make ALL their decisions, and answer to no one except themselves.

chrischris 11-18-2012 03:24 PM

Ok..
Still i feel there is a massive overrepresentation of understanding the 'law of the jungle/ jungle law' to mean each to their own and kill or be killed.
In nature , team work and interdependancy is a more functioning rule/law actually.

LeeD 11-18-2012 03:37 PM

Say you gots a partner, or S/O. Every decision you make takes into consideration of their feelings, strengths, weaknesses. Now add a few more in your family, and your decisions get diluted by the # of participants you have in your life.
As a society right now, we take in the notions of every single member, or try to anyways. That is a big gray area.

chrischris 11-19-2012 02:20 AM

Ok, in the jungle /nature the use of every capacity is optimal.
So there isnt waste of resources and therefore a smart setup of interaction which makes it strong and functioning over time.
A code of conduct and 'jungle law' if you will.
I think if we can allow us to learn FROM that law of the jungle ( instead OF it), we stand a chance way better than the mirage of prosperity we have at the moment.
That would make our economy better and more resilient and we would prosper and feel more fit and good about ourselves.

There is serious studies of these codes and laws being done and it can move forward our business models to be fitting in and give lasting prosperity and wealth .