Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   More feel and slightly less power than Head Rip Control? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445971)

marlinspike 11-17-2012 08:08 AM

More feel and slightly less power than Head Rip Control?

I've got Head Rip Control 16g in my Donnay Pro One, strung to 55lbs. I'd like a little more feel (or maybe more accurately a little more pocketing) but also less power, which AFAIK are contradictory desires. Anybody with a recommendation?

pvaudio 11-17-2012 08:20 AM

Yes, this string really does not exist, but the only suggestion I have is Mantis Comfort Synthetic. Perhaps not less power, but infinitely more feel than just about any other multi or non-gut for that matter. Its downfall is in fact that it is too low powered for the amount of feel that it has. Makes it feel like natural gut on strike.

mikeler 11-17-2012 08:22 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048

Ramon 11-17-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7021353)
Yes, this string really does not exist, but the only suggestion I have is Mantis Comfort Synthetic. Perhaps not less power, but infinitely more feel than just about any other multi or non-gut for that matter. Its downfall is in fact that it is too low powered for the amount of feel that it has. Makes it feel like natural gut on strike.

Another downfall of MCS is durability. If you're a string breaker, forget it. A typical 4.0-4.5 level player will break it in under 5 hours.

If you want something more durable, I would suggest looking at Mikeler's thread, picking one you think you would like, and stringing it higher (high 50's or low 60's).

COPEY 11-17-2012 09:56 AM

How about Rip 17 strung a little tighter. Worth a try if you like the string to begin with.

tlm 11-17-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlinspike (Post 7021324)
I've got Head Rip Control 16g in my Donnay Pro One, strung to 55lbs. I'd like a little more feel (or maybe more accurately a little more pocketing) but also less power, which AFAIK are contradictory desires. Anybody with a recommendation?

Rip control has a very muted feel to it, you could try the rip in 17 gauge. I always thought it felt better than the 16. But to find less power that could be tough, because to me rip control is one of the lowest powered strings out there.

marlinspike 11-17-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7021504)
Rip control has a very muted feel to it, you could try the rip in 17 gauge. I always thought it felt better than the 16. But to find less power that could be tough, because to me rip control is one of the lowest powered strings out there.

Well, truth be told 55lbs is lower than I normally go, so I'm happy to go to a higher tension, I'm just looking for something that will have more feel than Rip Control at 55lbs despite being strung tighter to cut down on power.

COPEY 11-17-2012 10:23 AM

You could still opt for 17 gauge. I haven't tried it, but from the posts I've seen of those who have, they say it plays quite a bit better than 16. If that doesn't interest you, give the Mantis a go. It's low powered for sure, but its durability (or lack of) may turn you off. You string for yourself?

marlinspike 11-17-2012 10:37 AM

No, I don't string my own, so I was turned off on the Mantis by the durability reports.

COPEY 11-18-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlinspike (Post 7021569)
No, I don't string my own, so I was turned off on the Mantis by the durability reports.

Understand, but if you're a 3.5 durability wouldn't be an issue really. I'm not saying you are, but if in fact you're somewhere in the 3.0/3.5 range, maybe play twice a week or so, it's not a bad option. Many factors are involved in determining whether or not a string works for you. No one's seen you hit, so it's a guessing game really.

Lastly, if you think you're a tennis lifer, consider getting your own stringer.

marlinspike 11-18-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 7022536)
Understand, but if you're a 3.5 durability wouldn't be an issue really. I'm not saying you are, but if in fact you're somewhere in the 3.0/3.5 range, maybe play twice a week or so, it's not a bad option. Many factors are involved in determining whether or not a string works for you. No one's seen you hit, so it's a guessing game really.

Lastly, if you think you're a tennis lifer, consider getting your own stringer.

Hmm...my play time has been severely reduced thanks to losing two of my tennis partners, and I'm not really a string breaker (except with 17g Babolat Xcel), but I thought I read that people get about 5 hours out of it. I'd rather not restring every 2 matches.

COPEY 11-18-2012 04:00 AM

Understand - just saying that when people recommend string on here it's all guess work really. If you're looking for a string job to last a few weeks, it's probably not your string even if you're not a string breaker.

I definitely understand about not wanting to restring after a couple of matches, but if you had your own stringer, it might be THE perfect string for you since you could restring at your leisure, and the cost would be minimal. ;-)

Seriously, I wish I had bought one years ago. One of the few things in life I regret.

fortun8son 11-18-2012 04:10 AM

Intellitour has more feel than RIP Control.
Getting less power is the problem.
Maybe add some lead to the handle to make it more headlight?

marlinspike 11-18-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 7022550)
Understand - just saying that when people recommend string on here it's all guess work really. If you're looking for a string job to last a few weeks, it's probably not your string even if you're not a string breaker.

I definitely understand about not wanting to restring after a couple of matches, but if you had your own stringer, it might be THE perfect string for you since you could restring at your leisure, and the cost would be minimal. ;-)

Seriously, I wish I had bought one years ago. One of the few things in life I regret.

I'll definitely buy one at some point, but right now I'm busy dumping literally all of my money into an engine I'm building, and a racquet stringer just isn't in the budget :(

COPEY 11-18-2012 04:16 AM

I hear ya - priorities. Hope you get that baby running!

Back to strings, give the Rip 17 a try at least. If nothing else it may solve the problem you have with respect to feel compared to the 16 ga.

ArliHawk 11-18-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 7022573)
I hear ya - priorities. Hope you get that baby running!

Back to strings, give the Rip 17 a try at least. If nothing else it may solve the problem you have with respect to feel compared to the 16 ga.

Agree, Rip 17 is worlds better in feel than the 16.

Jocke 11-19-2012 03:19 AM

I have a Pro One myself, but it's not my regular stick so I just play with it occasionally. Mantis Comfort Synthetic suits the Donnay well IMO. Could be it tames the power of the stick? Other sticks I've tried with MCS is Prince EXO3 Warrior, Prince EXO3 Tour Team, Head Radical S (with lead), Head Extreme Lite (with lead). I don't really like MCS in either of those sticks but in the Donnay it's actually ok. Can't really say anything about durability though.

fuzz nation 11-19-2012 03:56 AM

I definitely enjoy better feel with some of the 17 ga. options of strings I've tried, but I also have found that thinner strings can soften up a bit before they break down and snap. I've been quite happy with the softness of my Volkl C10's for a few years, but there seems to be that constant tradeoff to consider in terms of balancing feel and performance. A 17 ga. syn. gut may have really nice feel for me, but I run it a bit tighter than 16 ga. syn. gut to keep it from getting soft too quickly.

Lately I've had good luck with softer 16 ga. syn. gut offerings from both Tecnifibre and Gosen, but I've also used some multi's in my racquets, including RIP Control and X-1 Biphase. To get both the better feel of a thinner string along with some degree of control, I'd say you'd be smart to sample a couple of 17 ga. syn. guts. Softer options might include Gosen, Prince's original stuff (non-Duraflex), Forten... The syn. guts just don't seem to turn spongy for me in the same way that the multi's can.

You might even consider a simply hybrid of RIP Control in your crosses with a thin syn. gut in your mains. I doubt that your feel would be altered too much and the syn. gut could probably offer a mild bump in the control department.

esgee48 11-19-2012 11:45 AM

String the mains at 56/57 and the crosses at 53/52? Since the mains do most of the work, it should give you the desired control and more pocketing.

coloskier 11-19-2012 12:23 PM

I've found that RIP 17 was about as low on the power index as anything I've played.