Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best Dry Over Grip (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445985)

dekko1 11-17-2012 10:29 AM

Best Dry Over Grip

Hey guys. In the 90s and 2000s I was using Tourna Grip, the original one. To me that was the best, as I sweat quite a bit in my hands. But for some reason, all of a sudden Tourna Grip became really bad, durability was terrible, and it became more tacky.
So I started using the Pacific orange grip, I think it's called XTR dry or something like that. I have been using it for a few years now, it has been really good, BUT, last pack I bought was very tacky, to the point that I can't barely hold the racket after a few games. I am really sure that it's the same grip, and all 3 grips of the pack feel the same.

So, can anyone suggest me another really good Dry Over Grip?
How is Tourna Grip lately?

Ramon 11-17-2012 10:44 AM

My favorite dry grip is Dunlop Viper Dry (the white one). It's thicker than other grips I use (like Supergrap and XtremeSoft), but it absorbs much better than both of them.

fusion91 11-17-2012 12:23 PM

I've also used Tourna Grip since the 90s when I was a junior. Last year I tried Solinco Heaven and it's been my overgrip of choice ever since. It feels similar to Tourna -- dry and gives you an assuring grip when you sweat. But it is a bit thicker, softer, and definitely lasts longer than Tourna.

Geology_Rocks! 11-18-2012 11:57 AM

One more vote for Solinco Heaven. I also switched from Tourna.

808 11-18-2012 12:22 PM

Yep, Solinco Heaven Grip is where it's at. As fusion91 said tiny bit thicker, a touch softer and longer lasting than Tourna.

db10s 11-18-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 7021583)
My favorite dry grip is Dunlop Viper Dry (the white one). It's thicker than other grips I use (like Supergrap and XtremeSoft), but it absorbs much better than both of them.

This and Tourna...

dekko1 11-19-2012 07:45 AM

Thanks guys. I think I'll give Solinco a try, sounds like this is what I need. I'll might also get a small pack of the Dunlops.

Thanks again!!!

darklore009 11-19-2012 08:24 AM

solinco heaven grip

Rjtennis 11-29-2012 08:22 PM

The Heaven grips are very nice and way more durable than Tourna, but they are also thicker. I bought a few 30 packs but ended back with Tourna because of the thickness despite the horrible durability. If anyone wants to trade for Tourna Grip I probably have 40 Heaven Grips left.

jrxl 11-29-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 7039117)
The Heaven grips are very nice and way more durable than Tourna, but they are also thicker. I bought a few 30 packs but ended back with Tourna because of the thickness despite the horrible durability. If anyone wants to trade for Tourna Grip I probably have 40 Heaven Grips left.

I will take you up on that. Shoot me an email at jrxl99@aim.com.

Dragan 11-30-2012 01:10 AM

Babolat VS Overgrip.

Gus88 12-13-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekko1 (Post 7021550)
Hey guys. In the 90s and 2000s I was using Tourna Grip, the original one. To me that was the best, as I sweat quite a bit in my hands. But for some reason, all of a sudden Tourna Grip became really bad, durability was terrible, and it became more tacky.
So I started using the Pacific orange grip, I think it's called XTR dry or something like that. I have been using it for a few years now, it has been really good, BUT, last pack I bought was very tacky, to the point that I can't barely hold the racket after a few games. I am really sure that it's the same grip, and all 3 grips of the pack feel the same.

So, can anyone suggest me another really good Dry Over Grip?
How is Tourna Grip lately?

u need to try the heaven grip. Great for sweaty hands.

Francis27 12-13-2012 04:08 PM

Sweaty hand - Tourna Grip Original (lacks durability though)

Babolat VS Original grip ( i love this grip, used by pros)

Matchball 12-13-2012 04:40 PM

Dunlop Viper Dry - dry and durable as much as it gets . . .

CHOcobo 12-17-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 7021583)

Are you serious? I just give it a try last week and it doesn't absorb. It IS the best over grip for people who doesn't sweat, but it doesn't absorb anything. I put a droplet of water on the grip and it just stays there forever. When I put one on my tourna tac it absorb it pretty quick.

I just love how it looks and feels!

Ramon 12-22-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOcobo (Post 7068444)
Are you serious? I just give it a try last week and it doesn't absorb. It IS the best over grip for people who doesn't sweat, but it doesn't absorb anything. I put a droplet of water on the grip and it just stays there forever. When I put one on my tourna tac it absorb it pretty quick.

I just love how it looks and feels!

I haven't tried that test. What I know is that my grip doesn't slip when I have Viper Dry on in the summer.

canny 12-22-2012 01:02 PM

I reallly dislike the tourna dry grips. Tacky. They're better. But my favorite is Wilson Pro Overgrip. Just the right balence. Perforated is even better and received top reviews by all tw play testers this year.

Ramon 12-22-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canny (Post 7075273)
I reallly dislike the tourna dry grips. Tacky. They're better. But my favorite is Wilson Pro Overgrip. Just the right balence. Perforated is even better and received top reviews by all tw play testers this year.

Considering the title of the thread, I would personally disqualify any mention of Wilson Pro. It's a good grip in the Fall, but it's dangerous in the summer. It literally flew out of my hand one day and nearly hit an elderly lady playing in the next court.

db10s 12-22-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7061999)
Babolat VS Original grip ( i love this grip, used by pros)

Only in the winter...

mctennis 01-01-2013 08:34 PM

Try MasterWrap overgrips. THE best dry overgrip I've ever used. Never gets soapy feel or slick feel like so many of the other ones do.