Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Djokovic & Adidas (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445991)

Gru 11-17-2012 12:44 PM

Djokovic & Adidas

Just purchased a pair of Adidas shoes on tennis-warehouse site, and was surprised to see Djokovic:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-MSADIDAS.html

Is Adidas his sponsor, I guess they are?

jokinla 11-17-2012 03:33 PM

No, it has been proven by some here in this forum, that even though he is the #1 player in the world, he accepts no money from Adidas, he just likes to wear them for free, and evidently he also likes it when they take his picture and put it next to their logo.

Bobby Jr 11-18-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokinla (Post 7021947)
No, it has been proven by some here in this forum, that even though he is the #1 player in the world, he accepts no money from Adidas, he just likes to wear them for free, and evidently he also likes it when they take his picture and put it next to their logo.

That's not true.

They also give him 2 free t-shirts as well. :lol:

rafafan20 11-18-2012 03:00 PM

He'd be #1 in cb 4.3s :)

Adidas_Anderson 11-18-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7023308)
He'd be #1 in cb 4.3s :)

He is still number 1 ;)....Look how he slides with his barricade's:)

dr325i 11-22-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gru (Post 7021655)
Just purchased a pair of Adidas shoes on tennis-warehouse site, and was surprised to see Djokovic:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-MSADIDAS.html

Is Adidas his sponsor, I guess they are?

If they are, they have not updated him on the colorway in 8 months.
Not sure what is he promoting for them if the colors changed 10 times Since then...

Bobby Jr 11-22-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7029246)
Not sure what is he promoting for them if the colors changed 10 times Since then...

We all thought the same thing when Federer wore two seasons old shoes which didn't remotely match the retail model he was being promoted as wearing.

I guess, like Djokovic, Federer works for free t-shirts and shoes.:lol:

dr325i 11-22-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7029281)
We all thought the same thing when Federer wore two seasons old shoes which didn't remotely match the retail model he was being promoted as wearing.

Show me that please where federer wore old COLOR Scheme shoes...
What is under the PJ is totally irrelevant to 99.5% of potential customers......

tistrapukcipeht 11-22-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7029281)

lol, Nice one Bobby! :)

Bobby Jr 11-22-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7029342)
Show me that please where federer wore old COLOR Scheme shoes...
What is under the PJ is totally irrelevant to 99.5% of potential customers......

So the details fit when you want them to, but not when they don't fit your example?

No surprises there.

I recall when he was wearing a non-current model that was part of your reasoning that he couldn't be endorsing Adidas, despite Federer having done the same on many occasions... but now that Djokovic IS wearing a current model your reasoning seems to have morphed to he's not wearing the current colour version?

Can players ever wear the current model in a colour variant that is unavailable to the public? Yes or no?

dr325i 11-22-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7029388)
So the details fit when you want them to, but not when they don't fit your example?

No surprises there.

I recall when he was wearing a non-current model that was part of your reasoning that he couldn't be endorsing Adidas, despite Federer having done the same on many occasions... but now that Djokovic IS wearing a current model your reasoning seems to have morphed to he's not wearing the current colour version?

Can players ever wear the current model in a colour variant that is unavailable to the public? Yes or no?

I am not sure you understand my point..
Federer has worn the latest PJ of whatever shoe with every colorway cycle.
Novak first had B6 way into B7 release and now is wearing the colorway that was released 8 months ago.
What is he selling for Adidas, assuming they dumped a load of $$$ on him? Why isn't he playing with the Microgel PJ of his racket -- because the latest PJ sells the rackets. Same with the shoes, the latest PJ is what every sponsored pro has. Novak has been and still is wearing whatever he wants from Adidas. Not the latest PJ, not the latest model if he desires, switches between models (depending on the surface), and so on...
On top of it all, still, Adidas does not show his face on their page and he does not mention Adidas on his own official page...
Great marketing on Adidas part...

To the highlighted part -- when did Federer wear the non-current model to a non-TT member -- meaning -- 99.5 people do not realize small differences between Fed actual shoe and the retail, or for example Murray shoe...

dr325i 11-22-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7029388)

Of course they can.
Can a sponsored player wear the last year's shoe, or shirt -- no.
Can a sponsored player wear in December the retail shoe released in May -- most likely not as they are paid to promote new "styles" and sell more, not to promote the brand (only)

Bobby Jr 11-22-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7029427)
Can a sponsored player wear the last year's shoe, or shirt -- no.

Federer and his wearing of the V6 a couple of years after they stopped selling them says otherwise. They were miles different shoes - visually and technically - and often had barely were a token effort in terms of mimicking the retail shoe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7029427)
Can a sponsored player wear in December the retail shoe released in May -- most likely not as they are paid to promote new "styles" and sell more, not to promote the brand (only)

Well... they do. Bedych recently in fact. Here he is wearing a long-since unavailable colour variant of the V9 at Bercy in November. This gap is larger than your May-Dec gap.. it's Jan/Feb to Nov. And he's Nike's 4th, soon to be 3rd, highest profile male player.

jokinla 11-22-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7029246)

Uhm, he is wearing the stripes for them, which is what he's promoting, not the latest model, this seems to be the marketing strategy when it comes to Djoker and his gear, it's been that way for a while now, shared by multiple brands. Or he just likes to share his image on tv and print for free.

dr325i 11-23-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokinla (Post 7029541)
Uhm, he is wearing the stripes for them, which is what he's promoting, not the latest model, this seems to be the marketing strategy when it comes to Djoker and his gear, it's been that way for a while now, shared by multiple brands. Or he just likes to share his image on tv and print for free.

I don't t is "for free" as he gets their equipment free of charge.
He does not get money from Adidas to do it, though.
Or, not even close to, lets say, Tsonga or Verdasco...

In any case, this is the battle of opinions, no facts at all.
IMO, there is no way that the world #1, sponsored by Adidas, would either wear last year's model shoes (B6 vs B5) in totally outdated colors, or even the current model with 8-month old colors -- consistently.

To JUNIOR's comments, and he knows they are total BS:
1) Federer has been wearing non-standard CURRENT PJ shoes for a long time -- it is some kind of mix or old sole and different top, etc. However, masked/painted to look current to 99.5% of population. A completely normal marketing approach that is done with the rackets and in many other industries.
2) Berdych has switched his shoes, for whatever reason, for a single tournament (or maybe two), not consistently.
3) Novak has worn the old B6 straight for many tournaments after B7 came out and continues to wear the white with black stripes that has been "discontinued" long time ago. No other color, no other model, only this. Obviously his own choice and has nothing to do with Adidas direct marketing.

My opinion is that his ST/UNIQLO contracts do not allow him to be sponsored by Adidas, therefore, he is not promoting them on his web page and vice versa. However, since they have no shoe to offer, he is allowed to wear any shoe he wants -- Addias gives him free of charge and he "promotes" them for free... In the end, the contract he has with UNIQLO is probably worth more than what Adidas could/would offer.

Just my theory...

tennis_balla 11-23-2012 07:53 AM

DR stop it, that's too much common sense in one post for most to be able to handle here.

jokinla 11-23-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7029844)
DR stop it, that's too much common sense in one post for most to be able to handle here.

Common sense tells me that the #1 player in the world would be getting paid to wear whatever shoes he wants, as well as getting paid to have his picture next to their logo. Stupidity tells me that he would be doing this for free, as well as having his picture next to their logo.

dr325i 11-23-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokinla (Post 7029892)
Common sense tells me that the #1 player in the world would be getting paid to wear whatever shoes he wants, as well as getting paid to have his picture next to their logo. Stupidity tells me that he would be doing this for free, as well as having his picture next to their logo.

Do you think EVERY celebrity gets paid by whatever shoe company they wear. I am sure that Justin B-whatever kid is actually MUCH better promoter than any tennis player for any shoe company....

I didn't think so.
Him being a #1 in tennis and dressed in competitors clothes means little to Adidas.
Just like it did with Murray a few years ago before he joined Adidas and switched between Adidas and Nike as he wanted...
And, he was #4 in the world, more marketable than the current #1...

dr325i 11-23-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7029844)

I enjoy this, challenging both of them to show me a single proof or lead other than he is a #1 therefore must be sponsored. With all the other sports Adidas is making much more than with the barricades....or tennis...

I just wanted what the two smarties do for living.

dr325i 11-23-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7029447)
Well... they do. Bedych recently in fact. Here he is wearing a long-since unavailable colour variant of the V9 at Bercy in November. This gap is larger than your May-Dec gap.. it's Jan/Feb to Nov. And he's Nike's 4th, soon to be 3rd, highest profile male player.

Oh, I just realized that Berdych is done with the Nike so, this was another useless post of Junior's...