Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Is Granollers Always So Absolutely Horrible? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445999)

winstonplum 11-17-2012 01:43 PM

Is Granollers Always So Absolutely Horrible?

Granted I don't watch a lot of him or doubles in general, but God, how many volleys can you dump into the bottom of the net. And when standing about a foot from the net! Every now and then you see a player that just makes you feel great about being a 4.0 hacker because you see the pro making the exact same mistakes as you do out on the muni courts. Volley long, volley into the net, volley into the net, volley long.

I mean, come on, we all have bad days, but show a little emotion. Poor Lopez was bobbing and dancing around, obviously trying to make the most of one of the biggest matches of his career, and Granollers had all the intensity of someone at a wake. Jesus, slam your racquet, throw it, bash it against your head a la Youznhy, just do something. Granners totally cost them that match. Does he always suck so bad?

treblings 11-17-2012 01:50 PM

not always. he played pretty decent in London:)

ruerooo 11-17-2012 02:04 PM

No.

He and Marc were just named Doubles Champions of the World last week.

What I think is that he underestimated what that feat would take out of him in terms of fatigue. It reminds me of what Milos is going through playing members of the Big Four on a more regular basis. It's an adjustment, another step up -- and they have to be ready for it.

I don't think he was ready today.
:-(

jaggy 11-17-2012 02:10 PM

Yes always. No exceptions.

ruerooo 11-17-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7021808)
Yes always. No exceptions.

Then how'd he win the WTF doubles with Marc -- accident?

I'd think a Hoosier would have better discernment skills.

:shock:

Gonzalito17 11-17-2012 03:31 PM

I saw Granollers win a singles title and he was as fired up and intensely emotional as any player I've seen, it was awesome to see actually. Very surprised to hear he was so unusually subdued emotionally today. Maybe he was psyched out or the pressure completely killed him.

Headshotterer 11-17-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 7021739)
Granted I don't watch a lot of him or doubles in general, but God, how many volleys can you dump into the bottom of the net. And when standing about a foot from the net! Every now and then you see a player that just makes you feel great about being a 4.0 hacker because you see the pro making the exact same mistakes as you do out on the muni courts. Volley long, volley into the net, volley into the net, volley long.

I mean, come on, we all have bad days, but show a little emotion. Poor Lopez was bobbing and dancing around, obviously trying to make the most of one of the biggest matches of his career, and Granollers had all the intensity of someone at a wake. Jesus, slam your racquet, throw it, bash it against your head a la Youznhy, just do something. Granners totally cost them that match. Does he always suck so bad?

better than u lmfao

Tennis_Hands 11-17-2012 04:22 PM

Granollers was awestruck by the presence of the Worm.

:)

roundiesee 11-17-2012 04:31 PM

I did watch the first three sets, and granted I don't really know how badly Marcel played in the fourth, but I don't think it's quite fair to blame him. Even Tomas was making a lot of 'basic' errors, and the commentator kept saying he wasn't used to doubles, LOL! I think the match likely turned late in the second set when Radek really stepped it up a notch and played very very well indeed, and then inspired Tomas to follow suit. The Spanish pair were quite decent but in that arena and under pressure of the Davis Cup, they probably were second best on the night, :(

winstonplum 11-17-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headshotterer (Post 7021982)
better than u lmfao

I would hope so considering I'm not a professional tennis player. It was just amazing how blank he looked out there after netting volley after volley. I guess he didn't get the memo that this entire tie was going to come down to the doubles rubber. I don't think Spain can sweep tomorrow. Expecting to see Berd take it in the first match.

Feli should have played.

TonyB 11-17-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Why does it matter if he's not slamming his racquet? That makes no sense. He's level-headed and a pro. He realizes sometimes you're having an off-day. How do YOU know what his physical/mental state was during the match?

I don't show any emotion when I win and I don't show it when I lose. Tennis is tennis. I like pros that keep their wits about them when they play. I hate seeing someone lose control during a match, even pros. Once you lose your mental control, you're finished.

jaggy 11-17-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruerooo (Post 7021840)
Then how'd he win the WTF doubles with Marc -- accident?

I'd think a Hoosier would have better discernment skills.

:shock:

I cant imagine why

Tennusdude 11-17-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

As you said, you dont watch alot of Granollers. He played very well in London and if it were for his excellent play while Lopez at times struggled to hold serve, they would never have won the championship. I am assuming that Spain lost the doubles by your comments. However, I dont believe the Bird will beat Ferrer and there is no way Stepanek will beat Almagro. But we will see.

Ripster 11-18-2012 01:23 PM

I don't know how this team won London. Watching them against the Czechs they looked simply awful. Lopez has a terrible backhand and serve, Granollers has weird technique on all his shots and neither of them look particularly comfortable at net. Granollers did have some decent reflex volley's I'll give him that.

NLBwell 11-19-2012 08:43 AM

Tennis players have good days and bad days.

atatu 11-19-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruerooo (Post 7021794)
No.

He and Marc were just named Doubles Champions of the World last week.

What I think is that he underestimated what that feat would take out of him in terms of fatigue. It reminds me of what Milos is going through playing members of the Big Four on a more regular basis. It's an adjustment, another step up -- and they have to be ready for it.

I don't think he was ready today.
:-(

I think the Czechs were probably a little more fatigued, having both played singles the day before. I will say one thing, he was better than Verdasco was in that DC match in Austin last year.

jokinla 11-19-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennusdude (Post 7022235)
As you said, you dont watch alot of Granollers. He played very well in London and if it were for his excellent play while Lopez at times struggled to hold serve, they would never have won the championship. I am assuming that Spain lost the doubles by your comments. However, I dont believe the Bird will beat Ferrer and there is no way Stepanek will beat Almagro. But we will see.

You must not watch a lot of Stepanek.

Sabratha 12-08-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokinla (Post 7024660)
You must not watch a lot of Stepanek.

Ah, that Stepanek.