Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shbh, please critique (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446011)

njboy 11-17-2012 05:27 PM

Shbh, please critique

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZA1a...e_gdata_player
Thanks a lot.

I reminded me taking high loop take back and preparing earlier today and recorded a new video. Please take a look if little bit better. Many many thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrTOH...e_gdata_player

RF20Lennon 11-17-2012 05:30 PM

Youre accelerating way too soon in a hurried motion! and your feet are no positioned to hit the shot. Work on footwork and take back the racket sooner and pace the racket head speed. But you have excellent Explosion!!!!

Chas Tennis 11-17-2012 09:39 PM

I see one thing clearly different from what I have noticed in videos of top pro players - the height that your racket attains in the backswing is much lower than theirs.

For example, look at racket face height and upper arm height the Heinen's and Federer's backhands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqBEErW0vTA

In these videos the racket is above the head just prior to the downward & forward swing.

In your stroke, the racket is about at your waist height.

In my opinion, there is probably a biomechanical advantage for getting the upper arm (humerus) up somewhat - it stretches the largest muscle attached to the arm, the lat. Forehand too.....

njboy 11-18-2012 05:01 AM

ye s

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas Tennis (Post 7022386)
I see one thing clearly different from what I have noticed in videos of top pro players - the height that your racket attains in the backswing is much lower than theirs.

For example, look at racket face height and upper arm height the Heinen's and Federer's backhands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqBEErW0vTA

In these videos the racket is above the head just prior to the downward & forward swing.

In your stroke, the racket is about at your waist height.

In my opinion, there is probably a biomechanical advantage for getting the upper arm (humerus) up somewhat - it stretches the largest muscle attached to the arm, the lat. Forehand too.....

i tried to fix long time ago but no progress. Any tricks?

njboy 11-18-2012 05:02 AM

Thank u

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 7022151)
Youre accelerating way too soon in a hurried motion! and your feet are no positioned to hit the shot. Work on footwork and take back the racket sooner and pace the racket head speed. But you have excellent Explosion!!!!

When do I need take tha raq back?

zapvor 11-18-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njboy (Post 7022144)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZA1a...e_gdata_player
Thanks a lot.

your mechanics look pretty good. each one is about the same. but your timing is the issue. you are making contact a tad late so your body is like going off to the side. try to make contact so your body is more forward, not to the side.i have the same issue with timing

rkelley 11-18-2012 08:51 AM

There are some good things in your bh. You're getting your shoulders turned and you're stepping into the ball. This is good, but overall it's missing some key things.

The biggest thing I noticed was that your hitting structure (the angles and relative position of your arm, racquet, and body) is incorrect at contact. Specifically, your arm and racquet form almost a line. You're grip appears to have your index knuckle on bevel 8, and it seems like you're flexing your wrist to accelerate the racquet into the ball. What you want is for your arm and racquet to form a right angle at contact, not a line. You want your wrist to supinate to accelerate the racquet into and across the back of the ball.

On foot work and general position, on many shots you back up right before you hit in order to take the ball as it's falling. This is a really bad habit to get into. Generally, as much as you can you want to stand your ground or move into the ball, not back up to take the ball in a preferred place. As you're learning a shot I can understand why you don't want to take balls on the rise, but for now just set-up a little further back so you can always be moving into the ball.

Here are two really good videos on ts 1hbh. I'd really advise thinking in terms of starting over. As I said you have some good aspects to your bh, but it has some serious flaws. You'd be better off just starting from scratch and learn the proper motion. While you're at it, I'd go with a bit more conservative grip. Index knuckle bevel 1. It will help promote the correct hitting structure as you rebuild.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbpze...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Cb9...8&feature=plcp

And if you're interested in the slice bh, here's good video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqkkWtq-Lk

njboy 11-18-2012 09:53 AM

ye s

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7022885)
your mechanics look pretty good. each one is about the same. but your timing is the issue. you are making contact a tad late so your body is like going off to the side. try to make contact so your body is more forward, not to the side.i have the same issue with timing

i feel the same thing. I am late and rush to hit the ball at most of time.

njboy 11-18-2012 09:56 AM

Thank u

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 7022898)
There are some good things in your bh. You're getting your shoulders turned and you're stepping into the ball. This is good, but overall it's missing some key things.

The biggest thing I noticed was that your hitting structure (the angles and relative position of your arm, racquet, and body) is incorrect at contact. Specifically, your arm and racquet form almost a line. You're grip appears to have your index knuckle on bevel 8, and it seems like you're flexing your wrist to accelerate the racquet into the ball. What you want is for your arm and racquet to form a right angle at contact, not a line. You want your wrist to supinate to accelerate the racquet into and across the back of the ball.

On foot work and general position, on many shots you back up right before you hit in order to take the ball as it's falling. This is a really bad habit to get into. Generally, as much as you can you want to stand your ground or move into the ball, not back up to take the ball in a preferred place. As you're learning a shot I can understand why you don't want to take balls on the rise, but for now just set-up a little further back so you can always be moving into the ball.

Here are two really good videos on ts 1hbh. I'd really advise thinking in terms of starting over. As I said you have some good aspects to your bh, but it has some serious flaws. You'd be better off just starting from scratch and learn the proper motion. While you're at it, I'd go with a bit more conservative grip. Index knuckle bevel 1. It will help promote the correct hitting structure as you rebuild.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbpze...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Cb9...8&feature=plcp

And if you're interested in the slice bh, here's good video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqkkWtq-Lk

I have played many years so starting over is not easy because the years bad habit.
My grip is between 1 and 8 and I am short.

I feel the angle of raq and my arm is roughly 90 degree but I have to look the image at contact point.

rkelley 11-18-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njboy (Post 7022990)
I have played many years so starting over is not easy because the years bad habit.
My grip is between 1 and 8 and I am short.

I feel the angle of raq and my arm is roughly 90 degree but I have to look the image at contact point.

Look at the video. Your arm and racquet are basically in line at contact. Your form is very consistent.

I understand that starting over isn't easy. I rebuilt my fh from a traditional, flatish old school fh (decent shot) to a modern fh. It took time and practice. But if you care enough to post a video, then you obviously care. Perhaps saying that you need to start over is overstating it a bit, but there are significant flaws in your basic form that will prevent you from getting to a high level bh. That's too bad because there are a lot of good things about how your hitting as well.

But that basic problem of the hitting structure is not a tweak, it's a pretty major fix. There are other issues as well. Watch the videos in the link. That guy knows what he's talking about regarding a 1hbh.

njboy 11-18-2012 10:27 AM

Thank u

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 7023051)
Look at the video. Your arm and racquet are basically in line at contact. Your form is very consistent.

I understand that starting over isn't easy. I rebuilt my fh from a traditional, flatish old school fh (decent shot) to a modern fh. It took time and practice. But if you care enough to post a video, then you obviously care. Perhaps saying that you need to start over is overstating it a bit, but there are significant flaws in your basic form that will prevent you from getting to a high level bh. That's too bad because there are a lot of good things about how your hitting as well.

But that basic problem of the hitting structure is not a tweak, it's a pretty major fix. There are other issues as well. Watch the videos in the link. That guy knows what he's talking about regarding a 1hbh.

I will load the video into video edit tool and watch it frame by frame.

And I also recorded a new video today. Thank you again.

ShoeShiner 11-18-2012 10:57 AM

Your BH stroke is fine for me. Many club players have 1HBH as good as you have.
But if you want some comments, in my opinions are :
✺ You should turn your shoulders more, some instructor said turn your shoulders until you can show your back to the opponent. This will general more power in swing for 1HBH.
Practicing by shadow swing in front of a mirror while imagining the ball coming, when the ball bounces you swing, may be help your late swing.

Cheetah 11-18-2012 11:22 AM

There's a hitch in your swing. you stop the racquet moving at the end of the backswing and then lower it before starting the forward swing. This is the same as just having a low takeback.

You're not rotating your torso enough. back has to face net more.
Not bending your knees enough.
Position of raquet just before forward swing is not correct. You have the head of the racquet pointing to the back fence. Should be pointing to right side fence.

Stance should be more closed. Not neutral.
Takeback is too stiff and forced. have to relax.
contact point is not far enough out in front.
Left arm should be used for balance at the end of swing by moving in opposite direction. Not dangling around in front of your body.
sometimes the hand is too far above the ball at contact which is why you have that high follow through. Should be more at the same level as the ball at contact. This is making your swing path 'incorrect'. and not enough drive through the ball. The way you contact makes it so you will have a hard time imparting ulnar deviation on the ball and impossible to hit an i/o bh and also you won't be able to have a variety of spins. It will be difficult to hit a flat drive and then a looping cc bh.
You are leaning back at contact.
you are swinging only with the arm instead of using legs/torso/shoulders to swing the racquet.

everything else looks good.

mad dog1 11-18-2012 11:58 AM

^^ yep, cheetah's advice is right on.

njboy 11-18-2012 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7023131)
There's a hitch in your swing. you stop the racquet moving at the end of the backswing and then lower it before starting the forward swing. This is the same as just having a low takeback.

You're not rotating your torso enough. back has to face net more.
Not bending your knees enough.
Position of raquet just before forward swing is not correct. You have the head of the racquet pointing to the back fence. Should be pointing to right side fence.

Stance should be more closed. Not neutral.
Takeback is too stiff and forced. have to relax.
contact point is not far enough out in front.
Left arm should be used for balance at the end of swing by moving in opposite direction. Not dangling around in front of your body.
sometimes the hand is too far above the ball at contact which is why you have that high follow through. Should be more at the same level as the ball at contact. This is making your swing path 'incorrect'. and not enough drive through the ball. The way you contact makes it so you will have a hard time imparting ulnar deviation on the ball and impossible to hit an i/o bh and also you won't be able to have a variety of spins. It will be difficult to hit a flat drive and then a looping cc bh.
You are leaning back at contact.
you are swinging only with the arm instead of using legs/torso/shoulders to swing the racquet.

everything else looks good.

3 months ago you gave me lot of suggestions. Did u see any improvement?

Cheetah 11-18-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njboy (Post 7023277)
3 months ago you gave me lot of suggestions. Did u see any improvement?

Do you see any improvement?

njboy 11-18-2012 01:45 PM

Yeah

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7023283)
Do you see any improvement?

From the results of view, yes, less ue
But not sure the stroke itself.

Cheetah 11-18-2012 01:52 PM

old vid link?

LeeD 11-18-2012 02:04 PM

I see a 3.0 to weak 3.5 1hbh that is very INflexible, can only hit lower thigh high balls, cannot create angles or pace, and hit with a mixture of sidespin and top (that's the GOOD part).
The player might not be able to handle various spins and pace of the incoming balls, especially a mixture of topspin and hard slice.

njboy 11-18-2012 02:42 PM

You are right

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7023314)
I see a 3.0 to weak 3.5 1hbh that is very INflexible, can only hit lower thigh high balls, cannot create angles or pace, and hit with a mixture of sidespin and top (that's the GOOD part).
The player might not be able to handle various spins and pace of the incoming balls, especially a mixture of topspin and hard slice.

So need improve.