Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   what is the best soft, last long multi string? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446022)

Magic of tennis 11-17-2012 10:20 PM

what is the best soft, last long multi string?
 
I know it might not be easy answer. I am breaking my strings too often.
I have been using Pro's Pro Kingut for several months. I like it a lot. But it breaks easily after 6 - 8 hours of playing.
Does anyone know which multi string is soft and last long?

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-17-2012 10:26 PM

Try Head RIP Control. Its durability is a hit or miss for some people, but to me, it's the most durable string outside of polyesters.

And it's soft too.

darklore009 11-17-2012 10:41 PM

Rip control breaks on me. Once the outer layer is through, it breaks easily. Isospeed control is durable

mikeler 11-18-2012 03:21 AM

Some others that have proven quite durable for me are Discho Microfibre, Prince Premiere Attack and Babolat Xcel.

Ramon 11-18-2012 04:10 AM

Multis that lasted a long time for me (over 12 hours before I started playing more aggressively) are RIP Control, Prince Premier Attack, Discho Microfibre, and Kirschbaum Touch Multifiber (all 16 gauge).

My problem, lately, has been that I've started playing more aggressively from the baseline, and now I'm breaking multis in under 5 hours, usually with a shank. PPA and KTM have both been prone to premature breakage on shanks. I haven't tried DM lately because I try to fill my TW orders to get free shipping, and they don't sell it at TW.

I might try a setup with RIP Control in the mains and PPA in the crosses. RIP Control 16 is probably the most durable of the bunch, and I'd like to see how it stands up to shanks. I prefer the other strings on the list for playability.

I'm also playing with natural gut on one racquet. Gut definitely takes sudden stress better than synthetic multis, but it's expensive and doesn't hold up well in when it gets wet, so I always bring a spare racquet with multi.

Magic of tennis 11-19-2012 08:06 PM

I have broken two racquet' strings at the same play twice in past few weeks. That's why I came to ask this forum
Thank you all guys.

JT_2eighty 11-20-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklore009 (Post 7022421)
Rip control breaks on me. Once the outer layer is through, it breaks easily. Isospeed control is durable

I agree on this. Rip Control can be durable for some people, but once that outer layer is worn, the core is fragile.

Isospeed Control 16 is basically the same material as Rip Control's outer layer, without the fragile inner core.

It has the same, muted feel of RIP, with the best durability you will find on a multi. It is soft on the arm, but not as powerful as other multis. While most multis feel lively and springy, Isospeed & RIP strings have a much deader 'feel', but that deadness does not make them any 'less-soft' for a multi. In that sense, they are still soft/arm-friendly, due to the multifilament construction. But for some people, that change in 'feel' can be a deal-breaker. Great control for a multi and great durability too. If you like RIP, you'll like Isospeed Control.

anubis 11-20-2012 10:13 AM

Prince Premiere attack 16

ElVapo 11-21-2012 07:56 AM

I know this might sound strange...the multi which lasts the longest in my raquets is the tecnifibre x-one biphase 1.24/Gauge 17.

netguy 11-21-2012 08:11 AM

Pacific Classic 16g has the longest window playability compare to any multi for those who live in mediterranean weather. It's pretty soft and economical in the long run.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444785

parasailing 11-22-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElVapo (Post 7027670)
I know this might sound strange...the multi which lasts the longest in my raquets is the tecnifibre x-one biphase 1.24/Gauge 17.

That string lasts me about 5 hours tops. Once X1 starts to fray, it's all over. I second Kirschbaum Multi Touch one of the most underrated strings here on the forum.

Mantis Comfort Synthetic should be something to consider. It smells like glue and you can get high from it when you are stringing :).

Ramon 11-22-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7029537)
That string lasts me about 5 hours tops. Once X1 starts to fray, it's all over. I second Kirschbaum Multi Touch one of the most underrated strings here on the forum.

Mantis Comfort Synthetic should be something to consider. It smells like glue and you can get high from it when you are stringing :).

Kirschbaum Touch Multifiber is one of my favorite multis. I just wish it was less expensive. If you don't regularly break strings on shanks, it lasts about as long as any multi and doesn't change much.

Mantis Comfort Synthetic is very soft, but durability is terrible. Stay away from it if you want something that lasts long.

I'd have to say Pacific Classic natural gut gives me the best combination of softness, playability, and durability right now. I have to disqualify most multis because I shank the ball too much. I'll be trying Babolat Tonic in the near future to see how it compares.

Magic of tennis 11-30-2012 09:04 AM

It sounds like Pacific Classic is the winner. I will try them and confirm in the future.

Valjean 11-30-2012 11:06 AM

Since you were having trouble with breakage I would invest in a string saver package and install one, no matter what string you decide to try out.

A thicker gauge than you are used to is another good idea.

fortun8son 11-30-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7022525)
Some others that have proven quite durable for me are Discho Microfibre, Prince Premiere Attack and Babolat Xcel.

These three seem to have the best combination of softness and durability.
PPA has the best price.
RIP/Isospeed strings, though technically multis, are in a class by themselves, as are the Ashaway Zyex strings.

mlocke1322 11-30-2012 09:43 PM

I've had good luck with both of Solinco's multis. Tru-feel is soft and has great feel. Vanquish is a little stiffer but more durable. I was sawing through X-1 Biphase like crazy in hybrids but these have held up well. Tru-feel is being replaced by Solinco though so whatever retailers have left is it. There are nice options from head, discho etc as others have said too.

NLBwell 12-01-2012 08:37 AM

NXT Max is crisper than most multis, but it lasts by far the longest of the many I've tried.
For me, it plays the best also but not everyone likes it.

fuzz nation 12-01-2012 11:27 AM

I've had a mixed experience with a number of multi's, but I've also been pleasantly surprised with the softness I get from Gosen OG Sheep Micro. It seems to deliver more softness than other syn. guts I've sampled, yet without getting overly mushy in the way that many multi's seem to as they age.

I offered this just because I think that a softer syn. gut might be a decent alternative for a multi user who needs some extra durability. Haven't used it in a while, but I also recall finding a rather soft ride with Prince Original Syn. Gut (pre-Duraflex).

K21ferg 12-01-2012 04:42 PM

Babolat xcel
 
My favorite multi has to be the Babolat xcel string(16 gauge). This is the most popular choice of string for the customers I string for and I get nothing but great feed back. I also tested out this string @60 pounds and was very pleased.
Even at 60 pounds this string still was very soft and offered arm friendly play. This string had tremendous feel and played with great control. As I continued to play throughout the week these strings held there tension and continued to play great. I played for 2 hours with this string each day and by the end of the 2nd week they began to fray and that allowed amazing spin control. 3 days into the 3rd week they broke but I hit with a lot of spin and break strings very often and these held up longer then other multis I have played with. Although they are a bit expensive they played the softest had the most feel and control throughout the strings life.

mikeler 12-01-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K21ferg (Post 7041962)
My favorite multi has to be the Babolat xcel string(16 gauge). This is the most popular choice of string for the customers I string for and I get nothing but great feed back. I also tested out this string @60 pounds and was very pleased.
Even at 60 pounds this string still was very soft and offered arm friendly play. This string had tremendous feel and played with great control. As I continued to play throughout the week these strings held there tension and continued to play great. I played for 2 hours with this string each day and by the end of the 2nd week they began to fray and that allowed amazing spin control. 3 days into the 3rd week they broke but I hit with a lot of spin and break strings very often and these held up longer then other multis I have played with. Although they are a bit expensive they played the softest had the most feel and control throughout the strings life.

XCel is a great string but very expensive.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse