Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Anything new to try? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446034)

crosscourt 11-18-2012 05:22 AM

Anything new to try?

I am finding it difficult to motivate myself at the moment -- getting to the gym, running, swimming, cycling are all unappealing. Has anyone tried anything different recently?

LeeD 11-18-2012 01:33 PM

I windsurf all summer, try to play tennis and snowboard, some surfing in the fall/winter. Took up kiteboarding for one season, but stopped after placing 13th kiter in the Bridge to Bridge here in SanFrancisco.
Where are you? Do you have $$$ and time?

El Diablo 11-18-2012 01:36 PM

Taking out the trash at my place is a pretty good workout. The bags of wet kitty litter renders the bins almost unliftable.

5263 11-18-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscourt (Post 7022636)
I am finding it difficult to motivate myself at the moment -- getting to the gym, running, swimming, cycling are all unappealing. Has anyone tried anything different recently?

Have you tried HIIT training with CrossFit?

NickC 11-18-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscourt (Post 7022636)

Go play pickup soccer. I try to play a few hours a week and it's a great workout.

charliefedererer 11-18-2012 08:40 PM

Is there someone you've played who has exceptional fitness that he uses as a weapon? Maybe playing him again can motivate you to get as fit as him.

If tennis is your love, do you approach hitting sessions with determination to come out of a split step every time your opponent hits, get to every ball, and recover as quickly as possible. Is there someone you know that likes to really work hard during hitting sessions with continuous play?

Have you used a heart rate monitor?

HIIT based on reaching maximum heart rate levels can be motivating in that you have a target to shoot for.

Would a change in location help your running?

Is there a nearby park or woods or run to a destination that would make it more enjoyable?

Have you ever found that sprints on a football field where the yard markers quickly disappear make you seem like you are running even faster? (And many football fields are well maintained, softer surfaces than other alternatives.)

Any desire to get really stronger?
Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Soccer was mentioned above. How about basketball?

crosscourt 11-21-2012 09:08 AM

I live in London. Taking out the trash is more of a mental than a physical challenge because our rules on recycling are so complicated. By the time I have sorted out my different grades of plastics I wish that I hadn't.

I have tried running in the park, sprinting on the track, playing new people. I still really enjoy tennis. But it is the mental focus that I need to train properly that has deserted me.

I agree about pick up games of soccer or other sports because the competition is its own stimulant. But winter is here, the days are short, and I am at work during the hours of daylight...

Kite boarding sounds fun. I did something similar with skiing a few years ago.

Short intense periods of activity may be the way forward.

Dags 11-21-2012 11:39 AM

Insanity.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ms/insanity.do

crosscourt 11-23-2012 02:14 AM

It's easier to get photoshopped...

makinao 11-23-2012 02:51 AM

Hmmmm ... you could try something VERY different, like T'ai chi.

Dags 11-23-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscourt (Post 7029695)
It's easier to get photoshopped...

Yeah, but the photoshop won't help you on court. ;-)

crosscourt 11-24-2012 07:15 AM

You are right of course. But I don't think much of what they are doing will help them on court. They look much too big to play tennis.

Dags 11-24-2012 09:03 AM

I found it great for tennis. A lot of focus is on explosive power from the core and legs, and you typically work at high intensity for 3 minute bursts with 1 minute to recover. The main appeal was that all I needed was a space and a DVD player, so could do it at home.

I can sense the idea hasn't exactly grabbed you though, so shall move along and let you listen to other suggestions. :)

crosscourt 11-25-2012 02:14 AM

Actually it does appeal. Short intense workouts that build explosive power seem right for tennis. But looking at the people in the photographs they all look as if they are trying to get big and strong rather than fast. For me, the key to tennis fitness is being fast in short bursts for a long time. I agree that core strength is very important. I have done Pilates these last five years to try to get core strength without sacrificing spinal mobility and more general flexibility. Some of what the guys in the film do would make me very stiff.