Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   tennis post prostate removal? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446045)

basil J 11-18-2012 08:07 AM

tennis post prostate removal?

I was curious if any of the older posters here have gone through the removal of their prostate and still play tennis without issue. Shockingly, last 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and now face the daunting procedure of having my prostate removed. I am 51, extremely fit, eat a Gluten free dairy free diet, don't drink or smoke and workout 4-7 times per week. My whole adult life has been about good will, fitness and family. I work hard, play hard and try to look at things with a glass 1/2 full attitude. I have been to 3 docs and the prognosis is the same from all of them. Chemo and radiation is off the table because I don't want bladder issues down the road. Prostate removal, when done at a younger age has a 99% success rate and I am being told that within 8 weeks I will be back to a full work and exercise schedule. I am looking at probably early january for the procedure to take place. If anyone could share their experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. Tennis & skiing are my 2 passions in life outside of my family and my work, and I would hate to have to give them up. One other thing, guys, get your annual Physicals!!!. Last year I had no signs, symptoms or low PSA number and a clean bill of health.
Thanks in advance

ollinger 11-18-2012 08:35 AM

Good luck with your illness; personally, I'd have the radiation -- several friends who had it years ago are doing quite well. One friend who didn't now has a bone metastasis and soaring PSA.

Tennis should not be an issue. I often play with two guys who had prostatectomy -- both went to Johns Hopkins where "nerve sparing" technique is said to be particularly good. The surgery should have no impact on playing tennis, once you've healed.

basil J 11-18-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7022783)
Good luck with your illness; personally, I'd have the radiation -- several friends who had it years ago are doing quite well. One friend who didn't now has a bone metastasis and soaring PSA.

Tennis should not be an issue. I often play with two guys who had prostatectomy -- both went to Johns Hopkins where "nerve sparing" technique is said to be particularly good. The surgery should have no impact on playing tennis, once you've healed.

Good to hear that. Radiation is not an option I am considering due to my young age, historically prostate cancer patients can develop bladder infections and or cancer later down the road from the chemo/radiation treatments. The surgeon I am leaning towards works primarily with athletes and has a great track record of keeping nerves intact.

5263 11-18-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basil J (Post 7023215)
Good to hear that. Radiation is not an option I am considering due to my young age, historically prostate cancer patients can develop bladder infections and or cancer later down the road from the chemo/radiation treatments. The surgeon I am leaning towards works primarily with athletes and has a great track record of keeping nerves intact.

Is it the same for the "seeding" version?

ssgator80 11-19-2012 02:57 AM

I have BPH. My PSA has been elevated but the last test was low. The Doctors want to do TURP, but god I dont want to. I swear I can live with the systoms. I'm 50.

scotus 11-19-2012 03:00 AM

Sorry to hear about this. I hope you beat this and enjoy a long happy life.

Best wishes.

basil J 11-19-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7024035)
Sorry to hear about this. I hope you beat this and enjoy a long happy life.
Best wishes.

Thanks. I literally have no symptoms so this was a bit of a surprise. My gleason index is at 6 and I can continue to monitor until it gets to a level 7 but I don't want to wait. I will probably have it removed and be done with it in the early spring. I have a 6 & 9 year ols and I want to be around for them & my wife for a long time forward.

bad_call 11-21-2012 06:24 AM

basil - how was the cancer discovered? have "cloudy" psa levels here last checked but that was a while back. age 60 here and not as fit as yourself but try to eat healthy and drink IPA beer. the hops are good.

basil J 11-22-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_call (Post 7027514)
basil - how was the cancer discovered? have "cloudy" psa levels here last checked but that was a while back. age 60 here and not as fit as yourself but try to eat healthy and drink IPA beer. the hops are good.

I had a 12 point biopsie and 2 of the biopsies were at a gleason 6.
I have decided to pursue an active monitoring of it. It is very early stage 1 and at this time I do not see a need to have surgery. I have met with 2 leading oncology authorities in the boston area and the consensus is the same from the both of them.

El Diablo 11-22-2012 09:27 AM

Gleason 6 is borderline for "active monitoring" so I assume your PSA is well under 10, the other criterion for active monitoring. Seems like you've gone from your first post in which you'd seen three experts and the consensus was surgery; 9 posts later the consensus is no surgery at this time?

basil J 11-22-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 7029039)
Gleason 6 is borderline for "active monitoring" so I assume your PSA is well under 10, the other criterion for active monitoring. Seems like you've gone from your first post in which you'd seen three experts and the consensus was surgery; 9 posts later the consensus is no surgery at this time?

First 3 Docs I saw: were 2-urologists, 1 is a surgeon. Surgery was the direction they were pushing me. Got into see 2 different oncologist's at MGH and Dana Farber this week, and their perspective was a little different. They agreed that surgery was the right treatment but felt that with a PSA at 3.7, that surgery was a little premature. I am going with the recommendation of active surveillance and biannual psa testing with an annual biopsie. I feel alot better about my situation but am realisitic with the possibility that at any time if my status changes, I will have to undego surgery.

Chas Tennis 11-22-2012 07:15 PM

Research-

1) Death rates from prostate cancer. Probability of dying from prostate cancer.

2) Autopsy rates for prostate cancer. Autopsy rates vs age for males in general (not related to screening, diagnosis or any health issue)

El Diablo 11-23-2012 08:09 AM

^^ autopsies are seldom done any more because of CT and MRI -- people rarely die now without knowing what's going on inside them. But old autopsy data showed a remarkably high percentage of elderly men had prostate cancer they never knew about. Prostate cancer that develops after age 65 tends not to be very aggressive. And prostate cancer remains a source of considerable mortality.

El Diablo 11-23-2012 08:18 AM

(lung, colon, and prostate cancer are the most frequent causes of cancer mortality in men)

Chas Tennis 11-23-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 7029853)
^^ autopsies are seldom done any more because of CT and MRI -- people rarely die now without knowing what's going on inside them. But old autopsy data showed a remarkably high percentage of elderly men had prostate cancer they never knew about. Prostate cancer that develops after age 65 tends not to be very aggressive. And prostate cancer remains a source of considerable mortality.

I should have qualified - these are simply autopsies of deceased males. Research the numbers.

El Diablo 11-23-2012 09:10 AM

^^ Socratic method? Do you have something to contribute here other than homework assignments?

Research-
"pedantic"

ramos77 11-24-2012 05:02 AM

my dad passed away from prostate cancer at 61 recently

very agressive type, and unfortunately caught it too late

PSA test was useless

I hope it all works out for you, don't let it get to you.

Best of luck

Seventeen 11-24-2012 05:38 AM

All the best mate.

basil J 11-24-2012 07:33 AM

Thanks . Much appreciated.