Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What do you guys do on pulling main below the frame? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446058)

BlxTennis 11-18-2012 09:40 AM

What do you guys do on pulling main below the frame?

I have a question on how do you guys deal with pulling tension on main that the string goes below the frame like the 3rd main which indicated below with a redline? Seems like that puts stress on the string itself especially for gut. Seems like the only stringer tackles this problem is the stringway concorde system?

Roger Wawrinka 11-18-2012 01:47 PM

I'm having trouble with what you are saying, so I am not really sure what you mean.

cluckcluck 11-18-2012 02:43 PM

Are you talking about going over or under the throat? I always go under with my Stringway. If I go over, I could potentially damage the paint of the stick (my own or clients') and I don't feel that I am getting all the tension to the string.

zapvor 11-18-2012 02:47 PM

actually it depends on the machine. i always go under because its more level with the gripper

BlxTennis 11-18-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7023365)
Are you talking about going over or under the throat? I always go under with my Stringway. If I go over, I could potentially damage the paint of the stick (my own or clients') and I don't feel that I am getting all the tension to the string.

Can you actually have the string going over the throat or the frame? I have never seen the gripper above the racquet frame. So by going over the frame, the string is actually being pull down resting on the frame when tensioned. Isn't it? Well, my string is below the frame when pulling that particular string gripping by the gripper. I can see that string come in contact with the frame when being tensioned. No one else seen this with your crank stringing machine?

struggle 11-18-2012 06:14 PM

under. not alot of options. i don't sweat it.

edit: ^^^ yes, the string contacts the SLICK frame. again, i don't sweat it.
certainly there is more friction at other points in the entire process.

cluckcluck 11-19-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlxTennis (Post 7023635)
Can you actually have the string going over the throat or the frame? I have never seen the gripper above the racquet frame. So by going over the frame, the string is actually being pull down resting on the frame when tensioned. Isn't it? Well, my string is below the frame when pulling that particular string gripping by the gripper. I can see that string come in contact with the frame when being tensioned. No one else seen this with your crank stringing machine?

In this video: http://youtu.be/HARPkXL6UyA?t=4m46s He goes over the throat.

pvaudio 11-19-2012 10:28 AM

Hmm, looks like someone hotlinked an image which is not theirs? :)

Lakers4Life 11-19-2012 12:48 PM

It's one of Irvin's videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HARPkXL6UyA

He makes some good points, but some bad technique.

seekay 11-19-2012 01:34 PM

I believe that Irvin uses a Wise 2086 tension head with the Gamma adapter (same as I use). It brings the top of the diabolo and the string gripper level with the grommets, which is different from most other machines (which drop the tension head to allow 360 degree rotation).

In that configuration, the string's path is essentially the same whether it goes over or under the frame. Over is usually more convenient for the stringer.

pvaudio 11-19-2012 01:35 PM

^^^ Indeed, my sister has that machine minus the crank.

mikeler 11-19-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7024999)
^^^ Indeed, my sister has that machine minus the crank.

Must resist obvious crank joke...

Irvin 11-19-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7024929)
It's one of Irvin's videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HARPkXL6UyA

He makes some good points, but some bad technique.

And what is the bad technique?

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekay (Post 7024997)
I believe that Irvin uses a Wise 2086 tension head with the Gamma adapter (same as I use). It brings the top of the diabolo and the string gripper level with the grommets, which is different from most other machines (which drop the tension head to allow 360 degree rotation).

In that configuration, the string's path is essentially the same whether it goes over or under the frame. Over is usually more convenient for the stringer.

if you have a diablo you should not need the adapter.

Lakers4Life 11-19-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7025172)
And what is the bad technique?

You make a good point on how to set the anchor clamp and the starting clamp outside the hoop to back it up just in case it slips. The bad technique is when you move the anchor clamp to the head beside the other side main. What you should have done was continue to finish the 2nd main first then proceed to the other side (anchor side). That's how the USRSA demonstrates it, in Racquet Service Techniques, page 29. Though I understand you were demonstrating how to start mains, but it demonstrated flaws that should not be encouraged.

What was the point of having an anchor if you move it the main next to the clamped main? It does not make sense. (wasted movement)

I don't want to derail this topic any more than I have to. I just wanted to point out that everything you post on YouTube is not Stringer's Gospel.

zapvor 11-19-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7025396)
You make a good point on how to set the anchor clamp and the starting clamp outside the hoop to back it up just in case it slips. The bad technique is when you move the anchor clamp to the head beside the other side main. What you should have done was continue to finish the 2nd main first then proceed to the other side (anchor side). That's how the USRSA demonstrates it, in Racquet Service Techniques, page 29. Though I understand you were demonstrating how to start mains, but it demonstrated flaws that should not be encouraged.

What was the point of having an anchor if you move it the main next to the clamped main? It does not make sense. (wasted movement)

I don't want to derail this topic any more than I have to. I just wanted to point out that everything you post on YouTube is not Stringer's Gospel.

wow! good eye. definitely not stringer's gospel. YuLite is a much better source on everything stringing. too bad he's left us.

Irvin 11-20-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7025396)
... What was the point of having an anchor if you move it the main next to the clamped main? It does not make sense. (wasted movement) ...

So you're not pulling tension against a single machine clamp.

Lakers4Life 11-20-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7025819)
So you're not pulling tension against a single machine clamp.

You missing the point, Irvin. You have an anchor clamp. Then you pull tension on the other side and clamp at the head. Then you pull tension on the anchor main, to release the starting clamp, and move the anchor clamp next to the previously clamped main in a staggered position. WHY?
There is no need to remove the starting clamp. You could have removed the starting clamp when you start the other (anchor) side.

Seriously think about what you are doing, before trying hard to show people!

zapvor 11-20-2012 04:44 PM

i just looked-82 videos! someones been busy haha

Lakers4Life 11-20-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7026944)
i just looked-82 videos! someones been busy haha

Even Mike (YULitle) did not have that many videos.

zapvor 11-20-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7026986)
Even Mike (YULitle) did not have that many videos.

quality over quantity baby!