Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Cardio Health (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446106)

ted1613 11-18-2012 08:59 PM

Cardio Health

I recently had my heart rate measured and I'm at a resting rate of 45 bpm. This really surprised me because I had to run a mile for my PE final and I didn't do so well. I was in at 7 min flat, but it wasn't like I was taking it easy. My time has actually gone down. I did 6:40, 3 years ago in middle school.

OHBH 11-18-2012 09:14 PM

Just because your heart is in good shape doesn't mean your lungs or legs are equally developed. Unless you actually do a lot of running on the track your time is not going to improve much. No workout can prepare the body for running except more running.

El Diablo 11-19-2012 04:47 AM

Bradycardia in teens is not necessarily a good thing and can be a sign of underlying medical problems. Do a search on it. Unless you're extraordinarily well conditioned, there's some medical eval that should be done.

charliefedererer 11-19-2012 07:53 AM

You don't say who took your heart rate.

But like blood pressure, heart rate should be taken multiple times to be sure the one reading is an accurate reflection of your rate.

It is easy to take your own pulse.

Check it right now and at least several more more time to be sure that low rate of 45 is really an accurate reflection of your heart rate.

[An easy way is to check your pulse at your wrist over 15 seconds, then double it and double it again to get your rate for one minute.]

Is your pulse [heart rate] still at 45?

El Diablo is right that a low heart rate could be reason for medical concern. Could be. Not necessarily so.
So there is no reason for you to be worried over something like this - if indeed your heart rate is this slow on multiple determinations do the smart thing and ask your doctor. No one on Talk Tennis or any other internet site can tell what is going on in YOU. Why not just get checked out and find out for sure?

ted1613 11-19-2012 08:33 PM

My friend is in nursing school and measured me. that was by that machine cuff thing and then I did it manually. Just used a timer. You're right I'll make sure to ask my doctor about this.

junbumkim 11-22-2012 08:36 AM

So you are senior in highschool?

Low resting heart rate can mean good cardio health but it doesnt mean that you will have speed as well. Most likely you will have better endurance than average.

Could indicate a problem but could mean that your heart is working very efficiently. If you have played other sports like basketball where you run till you are really out of breath and you were fine, then i wouldnt worry too much.

You can ask the doctor and the doctor will assess further.

3fees 12-03-2012 03:11 PM

actually low heart is a good thing so long as it related to physcial conditioning and not medical problems:

"Borg's physical conditioning was legendary and unrivalled. He could outlast most of his opponents under the most grueling conditions. Contrary to popular belief, however, this wasn't due to his exceptionally low resting heart rate, often reported to be near 35 beats per minute. In his introduction to Borg's autobiography My Life and Game, Eugene Scott relates that this rumor arose from a medical exam the 18-year-old Borg once took for military service, where his pulse was recorded as 38. Scott goes on to reveal Borg's true pulse rate as "about 50 when he wakes up and around 60 in the afternoon."Borg is credited with helping to develop the style of play that has come to dominate the game today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rn_Borg

:mrgreen:

LeeD 12-03-2012 03:21 PM

I've played sports all my life, usually at pretty high levels, and my resting heart rate has never tested below 61.
Not sure if there's any direct correlation. I know lots of guys with really low heartbeats who were not athletes in any way, shape or form. Low as in sub 50.

ollinger 12-04-2012 08:50 AM

^^ MOST of the instances of bradycardia (heart rate below 60) one encounters are due to heart disease, and bradycardia is the most common reason for implantation of a pacemaker.