Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   polarized sunglasses (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446124)

rich s 11-19-2012 05:42 AM

polarized sunglasses
 
was wondering who else uses polarized sunglasses to play tennis and your thoughts on polarized vs non -polarized lenses.

I like how the polarized lenses cut the glare, but they seem to play with my eyes.... or at least it's in my head that they mess with my eyes and possibly depth perception.

Do you use polarized or normal lenses?

Other than glare reduction, Do you find polarized lenses to be different from regulsr lenses in what and how you see.

Been needing to get new sunglasses but not sure if I want to get another pair of polarized or just get regular lenses...

would like to hear your opinion

Geology_Rocks! 11-19-2012 09:26 AM

I wanna know this one too, I recently got the Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 as a gift with non polarized lenses.

I'm still getting used to them as I never use glasses of any kind, but I must say they are growing on me, especially when playing in the morning.

About the polarized lenses for tennis I've seen mixed reviews, some say they are a must because hard courts reflect a lot of glare while others say they will mess with depth perception.

jonnythan 11-19-2012 09:31 AM

I like polarized glasses for some things, most notably anything involving a boat. I do not like them for golf, tennis, etc. The reason is that the image characteristics change as your head tilts, which happens constantly in tennis. Glare goes in and out as your head moves.

scotus 11-19-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 7024586)
I like polarized glasses for some things, most notably anything involving a boat. I do not like them for golf, tennis, etc. The reason is that the image characteristics change as your head tilts, which happens constantly in tennis. Glare goes in and out as your head moves.

Really? I don't notice any of these.

I just use whatever sunglasses I grab. Some are polarized and some are not.

With polarized lenses, the vision is clearer with less glare. That's all.

Maybe your polarized lenses have prescription in them?

jonnythan 11-19-2012 04:13 PM

No, it's the nature of polarization.

Go outside tomorrow with your polarized glasses on. Look at a static scene like a parking lot.

Tilt your head left and right. You will quite clearly see the intensity of the glare go up and down. Or just hold your sunglasses out in front of your face and rotate them about the center. You will see the image appreciably change.

It's just the nature of polarized light. The glare is primarily in a single polarization range. As you rotate the polarized lenses against the glare's polarization, the amount of glare getting through goes up and down.

If you ever use a polarizing filter on a camera you will see the same effect. These filters are assembled so that you can swivel them while they're mounted. As you twist the filter you will see the glare level go up and down.

You can see a great demonstration of this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KJTg5DDbfo

This is someone filming while rotating the polarizing filter. This is the exact same effect you see as you tilt your head left and right while wearing polarizing sunglasses. Maybe most people don't notice it specifically, but this is what you're experiencing when you get "reduced depth perception" or whatever.

Chotobaka 11-19-2012 05:25 PM

No issues with my polarized Bolle Kickbacks changing or distorting at any angle. Perhaps their being small and curved has something to do with this.

jonnythan 11-19-2012 05:46 PM

They don't distort. But the glare gets brighter and dimmer as you tilt your head.

If it doesn't, your glasses aren't polarized.

scotus 11-19-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnythan (Post 7025232)
No, it's the nature of polarization.

Go outside tomorrow with your polarized glasses on. Look at a static scene like a parking lot.

Tilt your head left and right. You will quite clearly see the intensity of the glare go up and down. Or just hold your sunglasses out in front of your face and rotate them about the center. You will see the image appreciably change.

It's just the nature of polarized light. The glare is primarily in a single polarization range. As you rotate the polarized lenses against the glare's polarization, the amount of glare getting through goes up and down.

If you ever use a polarizing filter on a camera you will see the same effect. These filters are assembled so that you can swivel them while they're mounted. As you twist the filter you will see the glare level go up and down.

You can see a great demonstration of this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KJTg5DDbfo

This is someone filming while rotating the polarizing filter. This is the exact same effect you see as you tilt your head left and right while wearing polarizing sunglasses. Maybe most people don't notice it specifically, but this is what you're experiencing when you get "reduced depth perception" or whatever.

in that case, maybe my polarized lenses are fake!

jonnythan 11-19-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7025362)
in that case, maybe my polarized lenses are fake!

It's possible. It's easy to test though.

Hold the glasses out in front of you, in front of your computer screen. Rotate the lenses. The screen should get very dark at two points 180 degrees apart through the rotation.

That's the same effect you get outside. As the lenses rotate against the polarization of the glare, the brightness of the glare goes up and down. At the point where the lens polarization is the same as that of the glare, the polarization does nothing. At a point 90 degrees from that point, the polarization blocks the glare. The glare intensity varies as you rotate between those points.

adamX012 11-19-2012 07:18 PM

anyone knows? can I have polarized sunglasses with strong description on it? thanks?

GlenK 11-20-2012 04:11 AM

Polarized gives me a headache in about 30 minutes. No idea why but it makes choices kind of simple.

ramos77 11-20-2012 04:22 AM

cant play with sunnies on, I'm convinced I can't see the ball as well

sundaypunch 11-20-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramos77 (Post 7025898)
cant play with sunnies on, I'm convinced I can't see the ball as well

I also never liked playing with sunglasses. I ended up buying some Bolle's with the green "competivision" lenses and love them. It took some getting used to but I definitely see the ball much better.

It washes out most everything you see but makes the ball pop. For me it makes it easier to track and concentrate on the ball with everything else minimized. I have talked to others that hate them so you never know.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boll...BUSH-BCVG.html

bigmalik76 11-20-2012 08:48 AM

I don't have any issues if I have them on the whole session or match. If I wear them in the beginning and take them off it takes me a bit to adjust. I use Oakley Radars.

goran_ace 11-20-2012 08:50 AM

Distortion has more to do with the quality of the lens (material, construction) than the polarization. Buy a high quality sports lens (e.g. Oakley, Bolle) and it won't be a problem, but you can't expect the same performance from a $20-30 pair of glasses.

Polarized lenses are great on the water for boating, and especially fishing, but unless you play on a court that has a lot of glare coming off the court, polarization isn't needed.

gmatheis 11-20-2012 08:23 PM

I prefer not to use sunglasses at all, but I keep a pair of polarized glasses in my bag for when I get stuck serving into the sun.

GlenK 11-21-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 7026168)
I also never liked playing with sunglasses. I ended up buying some Bolle's with the green "competivision" lenses and love them. It took some getting used to but I definitely see the ball much better.

It washes out most everything you see but makes the ball pop. For me it makes it easier to track and concentrate on the ball with everything else minimized. I have talked to others that hate them so you never know.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boll...BUSH-BCVG.html

I have struggled with sunglasses forever, but these are without doubt the best I've ever used. Normally I have issues with polarized as well but for some reason these don't bother me. They are also perfect for shaded courts where shadows affect play.

3fees 11-22-2012 08:20 AM

I use yellow polarized(blue blockers)uva and uvb 100%-much clearer than dark sunglasses,, no issues.

schenkelini 12-25-2012 03:39 PM

I use Maui Jim's Maui Rose polarized glasses. They are fantastic!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse