Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Another Amplifeel Victim, Looking for Advice on a Control Racket (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446156)

AYone 11-19-2012 12:38 PM

Another Amplifeel Victim, Looking for Advice on a Control Racket

Hello all, I'm new to the posting here, but a frequent customer of TW. I echo some of the comments/reactions of others that have played with the new Prostaff 6.1 line regarding the harshness of the amplifeel technology. I am frustrated to be in this growing minority because I believe I have solid form and have good strength in my hands and forearms. I have both the 95 and 100 PSs, and have tried customization with shock shield grips, lead tape and lower tensions with soft strings. All to no avail. The difficult thing is that I hit great with the rackets and really like them. Both have been gently used and I will probably end up selling them as soon as I find a replacement. Hence the post.

I am looking for a frame with the performance of the PSs but without the after effects from the amplifeel. The crazy thing is that I have an APDGT with a full bed of RPM Blast and have no discomfort when playing with that stick! However, the APDGT does not give the control and feel I desire in a frame. Some tennis pros believe its the coretex and GT tecnology that allows the stiffer Babalot frame to be easier on my arms. So maybe something like the Pure Storm Ltd would be a good candidate for me? I will probably try to demo a few control oriented frames, so please let me know if you have any additional advice. Thanks.

J011yroger 11-19-2012 12:48 PM

Check out my "Basalt Wars" thread for my journey. I found the ps90 to feel like crap strung with my normal Kevlar/alu blend, but not bad when I switched to BBO/ALU at much lower tension.

The racquets are still junk, they cave in and the buttcaps loosen up.

J

babolat king 11-19-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7024817)
Check out my "Basalt Wars" thread for my journey. I found the ps90 to feel like crap strung with my normal Kevlar/alu blend, but not bad when I switched to BBO/ALU at much lower tension.

The racquets are still junk, they cave in and the buttcaps loosen up.

J

There are probably a lot of racquets that would cave with a kevlar/alu blend at 70 lbs.

If not all.

db10s 11-19-2012 01:25 PM

Maybe an Aero Storm.....

J011yroger 11-19-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babolat king (Post 7024869)
There are probably a lot of racquets that would cave with a kevlar/alu blend at 70 lbs.

If not all.

They cave after 4 stringjobs of BBO/ALU at 50#.

J

svarthofde 11-19-2012 01:34 PM

you could just replace the handle for a while to see how it works... from what wilson says the amplyfeel tech is only in the handle. so you could give this a try before buying another raqcuet

richsox 11-19-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYone (Post 7024795)
So maybe something like the Pure Storm Ltd would be a good candidate for me? I will probably try to demo a few control oriented frames, so please let me know if you have any additional advice. Thanks.

I just recieved a demo PST Ltd. (am normally a Pure Drive user), and frankly it's perhaps the most demanding stick I've ever hand in my hands, even more so than the Wilson 6.1 Tour........

AYone 11-19-2012 01:39 PM

Thanks. I saw the post, I think I got up to page 5 or so... I went down to 49 pounds with NXT max on my PS 95 and some lead tape to help with stability. While it was easier on my hand/arm, it was not a complete cure. I would rather look for another stick then suffer after each match. I am going to start with the K-factor which seems to generally have positive reviews and no amplifeel issues. I'll give the Pure Storm some attention too at some point. If anyone has had similar experiences and moved on to other frames, let me know.

TimothyO 11-19-2012 06:57 PM

Sadly I had to leave the PS 95 too.

The Bio 200 Lite with a bit of lead tape is comparable. I've been VERY pleased with the 4D 200 Tour with some mods to reduce the SW. Recently I bagled a fellow club member known for being a very consistent "pusher". With my current setup I feel more confident hitting aggressive shots without fear of hitting wide or long.

The PSLGT is another great frame but you'll need some lead to give it some oomph and the right string for better spin potential given its dense pattern.

I feel like 95" open pattern frames provide just the right balance of control and spin potential.

JDMasFCK 11-19-2012 07:13 PM

Try the aero storm or the pure storm