Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Robin Soderling: "If no comeback in 2013, then I do not know...." (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446177)

Walenty 11-19-2012 03:43 PM

Robin Soderling: "If no comeback in 2013, then I do not know...."

More of a paraphrase than a quote, but someone interviewed him a few days ago:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/1...soderling.html

http://www.eurosport.se/tennis/soder...10/story.shtml

You have not yet taken a final decision about your career?

- No. However, I feel that as time goes on, I have to know the uncertainty is not so funny. Will not it be a comeback in 2013 ... then I do not know what. Then I aim for me on veteran Tour. Then I feel it will be tough to come back.

Soderling say it with a smile. During the absence, he has learned not to take anything for granted.

- The most frustrated with is myself. I do everything I can to get back.

Do you feel stressed?

- Well, in the beginning when they rested three days, people thought it was great. Now I released it. However, frustration and powerlessness, it is really annoying.

Who have you spoken to?

- I've talked a bit with a sports psychologist. The situation has been frustrating but not crazy hard. I can only accept it. It does not happen in a day but over time I have learned.

*And*

"The final decision on my career has yet to peak," he said. "If I get back in 2013, then I do not know ... I guess I just stayed veteran circuit. Already would probably be too heavy to get back.

"I'm frustrated because I'm doing what I can. If you would have asked me before two-three weeks ago, I would have been really positive. Could I play basically every day, but then I catch cold. Sometimes I go full half an hour, the next day it's too much. Hard to deal with it. Impotency is upsetting. I also consulted with sports psychologists, situation is irritating, but not to drive you crazy. Gradually, I realized that I only accept state. Nothing is certain."

kimbahpnam 11-19-2012 03:50 PM

he sold himself to the devil for that win vs rafa and now it's time to collect......

but seriously, i actually miss him on tour and i'm not a fan of his.

beast of mallorca 11-19-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walenty (Post 7025187)

- No. However, I feel that as time goes on, I have to know the uncertainty is not so funny. Will not it be a comeback in 2013 ... then I do not know what. Then I aim for me on veteran Tour. Then I feel it will be tough to come back.

*And*

"The final decision on my career has yet to peak," he said. "If I get back in 2013, then I do not know ... I guess I just stayed veteran circuit. Already would probably be too heavy to get back.

That's just sad. Hope he comes back as healthy as ever. I don't like him, but he's a big asset to the game we love. And any true tennis fan would want all the very best to be as healthy as can be and be at their very best to compete with one another, even at the expense of beating my Favorite player. Well, hope and pray he recovers fast. The Big 4 needs more Big competitors. :(

monfed 11-19-2012 06:12 PM

LOL more freebies at RG for Ralph. How unfortunate..

AtomicForehand 11-19-2012 06:22 PM

Just thought I might be able to make a bit smoother translation from the Swedish. Some idioms seemed a little strange in Swenglish. :) Basically a good job from Walenty though.

Söderling:If I don't make a comeback in 2013, then I just don't know

It will soon be a year and a half since Robin Söderling last played a tennis tournament. "If I'm going to make a comeback, it has to be during 2013. Otherwise more than two years will have gone by," he says in an exclusive interview with TT.

The aftermath of the mononucleosis is still with him, but he is making progress now. "The difference now is that I can tolerate more practice. Things are moving forward," says Söderling.

Söderling has been away from the game for the entire year of 2012, and besides the grand slam competitions, he also missed the Olympics in London.

"I'm doing everything I can to come back and this is my goal, but of course it's tough."

Q. You haven't yet made any final decision about your career?

"No. However, I feel that the more time passes, the more the uncertainty isn't very much fun. If I don't make a comeback in 2013...then I just don't know. Then I can aim for the seniors tour. I feel that it is just tough to come back then."

Söderling says it with a smile still. During his absence he's learned to take nothing for granted.

"The one who is the most frustrated is me myself. I am doing everything I can to come back."

Q. Do you feel stressed?

"Nah...in the beginning when you rested for three days you thought it was a lot. Now I've let it go. However, the frustration and the powerlessness--it's really irritating."

Q. Who have you spoken with?

"I've talked a little with a sports psychologist. The situation has been frustrating but still not crazy difficult. I can only accept it. You don't do that in a day, but with time I've learned to."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walenty (Post 7025187)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/1...soderling.html

http://www.eurosport.se/tennis/soder...10/story.shtml

Soderling say it with a smile. During the absence, he has learned not to take anything for granted.

- The most frustrated with is myself. I do everything I can to get back.

Do you feel stressed?

- Well, in the beginning when they rested three days, people thought it was great. Now I released it. However, frustration and powerlessness, it is really annoying.

Who have you spoken to?

- I've talked a bit with a sports psychologist. The situation has been frustrating but not crazy hard. I can only accept it. It does not happen in a day but over time I have learned.

rdis10093 11-19-2012 06:24 PM

he has a kid, he is out of thegame

single_handed_champion 11-19-2012 08:37 PM

Did he mean impotency in the serious sense?

smoledman 11-19-2012 09:27 PM

He's been a big missing piece to the top 10.

ctoth666 11-19-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by single_handed_champion (Post 7025576)
Did he mean impotency in the serious sense?

Yeah I'm wondering whether that's lost in translation or something. If not, that's got to be difficult to overcome psychologically.

joeri888 11-19-2012 10:25 PM

Soderling was one of those guys with the game to trouble tennis's very best players. However unlike other players with that kind of game (Cilic, Ferrer, Tsonga, etc.) he actually brings it in big matches against big players. This guy was on the verge of cracking the top 4 once. He even had the no. 4 ranking for a week. He could've been an interesting addition to the field and to a more competitive subtop.

Even though I didn't really like his game, I sorely miss him. I'm also forever thankful for his 2009 efforts.

PhrygianDominant 11-19-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7025196)
Pretty lame that you take it on Soderling because you feel hurt about him thrashing Nadal that day.

I hope he comes back healthy enough to play...if not hopefully the sickness does not affect his life. Being Impotent is a huge psychological scar for anyone. At least he had a child in the nick of time.

I am pretty sure he doesn't mean it in the literal sexual sense, the whole interview is google translated or something. I think he means powerlessness or something similar.

Sabratha 11-19-2012 11:36 PM

Hope the guy can make a come back, I've always enjoyed watching his matches.

Mortifier 11-20-2012 02:04 AM

The interview in Swedish is really not that negative as the translation makes it out to be.

...and it never mentions anything about impotency. That's just a ridiculous translation.

Rock Strongo 11-20-2012 02:59 AM

I guess I could translate it properly when I get home from school, depending on how I feel.

sbengte 11-20-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortifier (Post 7025823)
The interview in Swedish is really not that negative as the translation makes it out to be.

...and it never mentions anything about impotency. That's just a ridiculous translation.

Guessed as much, given the context. I really don't get what is with these tennis players and mono. Haven't heard any other sportspeople get it :confused:
Hope we don't have another Ancic like case here and Soderling does make a decent comeback.

Sabratha 11-20-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbengte (Post 7025887)
Guessed as much, given the context. I really don't get what is with these tennis players and mono. Haven't heard any other sportspeople get it :confused:
Hope we don't have another Ancic like case here and Soderling does make a decent comeback.

Tennis players kiss the wrong people. :lol:

zagor 11-20-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namelessone (Post 7025710)
There is no known cure for trolling addiction.

There's a difference between some lighthearted trolling and acting like a sicko, *********'s comments in this thread and the one about Novak father's illness make me think that not all is right upstairs with the guy.

AtomicForehand 11-20-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctoth666 (Post 7025624)
Yeah I'm wondering whether that's lost in translation or something. If not, that's got to be difficult to overcome psychologically.

Read post #5 for a better translation.

AtomicForehand 11-20-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Strongo (Post 7025841)
I guess I could translate it properly when I get home from school, depending on how I feel.

Took care of that already in post #5.