Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   fish farm raised vs wild caught (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446200)

rk_sports 11-19-2012 09:27 PM

fish farm raised vs wild caught

Is that a true picture even today?
Read that fish farming has improved lately and so some of those PCB's and diseases are not as before!

Heard that so called wild caught salmon sold at stores are actually farm raised at a lot of stores :confused:

Ramon 11-20-2012 03:50 AM

It's hard to know who to believe anymore. Results of studies are often highly correlated to the motivations of those who funded the tests!

Personally, I prefer my Salmon to be wild and my Catfish to be farm raised. Salmon is a clean fish, and the wild Salmon just has more flavor. Bottom feeders in the wild eat just about anything, and the farm raised Catfish tastes much cleaner.

El Diablo 11-20-2012 04:38 AM

Matters are complicated by the nomenclature. For example, a store selling "Atlantic salmon" is selling a type of salmon, not a source. Virtually all "Atlantic salmon" sold today is farm raised.

SystemicAnomaly 11-20-2012 05:00 AM

It would seem that some farm-raised sources have improved in the past decade or two. This seems to be particularly true of many fish farms in the US. I have noticed in recent years that some farmed fish contains higher levels of omega 3's (Ω 3's) than their wild counterparts. Sometimes, but not always, farming fish reduced the threat of over-fishing wild fish. OTOH, other problems still persist with farm-raised fish, especially fish from the North Atlantic and many other of parts of the world.

The OP table is a bit misleading with respect to Nutrition. Note that Ω 3's are a type of fat. The table suggests that wild fish contains higher levels of Ω 3's (which is not always true these days) and less fats. It says that farm raised fish contain less Ω 3's and more fats. From this we cannot tell if it means that the overall fat content is less in wild fish or if it means that the fats other than Ω 3 fats is less.

For a more accurate picture of the current pro/cons of farm-fish vs wild-caught fish refer to the following sources. In some cases the consumption of farm-raised fish is preferable to wild-caught fish. For the most part, I would probably avoid eating tilapia on a regular basis -- especially tilapia farmed in China and other parts of SE Asia. These fish are often very low in Ω 3 fats and very high in Ω 6 fats. High levels of consumption of these fish would tend to throw off the dietary balance of these fats quite a bit.

http://www.rodale.com/wild-or-farmed-fish

www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_regional.aspx

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/35370.php

http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/...-fish-farming/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmed_fish#Issues

user92626 11-20-2012 10:16 AM

Farm Raised - sustainable, affordable.
Wild Caught - starvation.

Starvation is no fun.

Fee 11-20-2012 12:04 PM

The more I read about the entire fish industry - wild caught or farm raised - the less inclined I am to eat any of it. The best sustainably wild caught stuff is too expensive for my budget and the farm raised stuff seems to be an environmental nightmare along with other issues. And then there's the mercury...

Argh. Argh to all of it.

rk_sports 11-20-2012 12:45 PM

As I mentioned earlier, heard that some stores sell farm raised as wild caught!!
Now how can we detect this?
Is there a standard? like (not to get into org.milk discussion here) USDA seal for organic milk

El Diablo 11-20-2012 01:29 PM

^^ No, you can't detect it. You can only hope someone involved rats them out, as happened a few decades ago when a grocery store chain in NYC was found to be passing off non-kosher chickens as (more expensive) kosher chickens.

LuckyR 11-20-2012 03:50 PM

Farm raise salmon are gray and need artificial coloring to be salmon colored and recently they are required to label the artificial colors.

SystemicAnomaly 11-20-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sports (Post 7026671)
As I mentioned earlier, heard that some stores sell farm raised as wild caught!!
Now how can we detect this?
Is there a standard? like (not to get into org.milk discussion here) USDA seal for organic milk

The following story contains some suggestions from Consumer Reports...

http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly...ld-60705.shtml

jonnythan 11-20-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sports (Post 7025603)

Is that a true picture even today?
Read that fish farming has improved lately and so some of those PCB's and diseases are not as before!

Heard that so called wild caught salmon sold at stores are actually farm raised at a lot of stores :confused:

I got to "fishmeal made of crops" and stopped. Fishmeal is not from plants.

Vlad_C 11-21-2012 01:55 PM

I like the radioactive fish from Japan.
I believe they can give me superpowers.

SystemicAnomaly 11-22-2012 02:26 AM

^ Godzilla vs Mothra vs Vlad C. :twisted:

chrischris 11-22-2012 05:32 AM

Add a few glasses of milk from cows that have had Bovine Growth hormone injections and you are ready to grow places.

There was a story on that once . Some company sold that as a profit maker and played down the known bad and dangeros sides of using it. Prosilac .

Arent raised salmon also injected / feed various dope?

PCXL-Fan 11-22-2012 06:21 AM

Whether or not you think there is industrial/institutional falsification of study data on the long term health effects of eating gmo foodstuff, be at least aware that % of salmon sourced from from US and other countries may being begin genetically modified if the FDA and other countries regulatory bodies approve it (and we all know FDA has a history in recent decades of being a beacon of ethics).

El Diablo 11-22-2012 07:40 AM

^^ reminds me of the people who complain about irradiated food but use a microwave at home (most irradiation of food is done in the microwave wavelength range). Truth be told, the sorts of genetic modifications being done in the food industry seem unlikely to produce changes that are harmful. Genetically modifying cattle for example to produce fewer fat cells sounds like a good thing, and there isn't evidence of harm. Moreover, those who moan ab out genetic modification would be asked to remember on this Thanksgiving day that the primary goal of food industry genetics is to produce more and less costly food for a world in which a great deal of hunger still exists. Tissue culture has progressed to the point where it will soon be commercially feasible to grow hamburger meat in a lab; scoff at this only if you have made sure hunger has been fully resolved.

El Diablo 11-22-2012 07:46 AM

(not sure what data re the FDA is being suggested here --- none, it would seem --- but half of all initial submission New Drug Applications in the U.S. are rejected by the FDA. Companies can then re-submit, and re-submit again, but over twenty percent are never accepted after multiple rounds of request for approval.)

rk_sports 11-22-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7026965)
The following story contains some suggestions from Consumer Reports...

http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly...ld-60705.shtml

That's disappointing news :(

Although its a bit old article '06, few things stand out...
  1. salmon’s off-season (November, December and March), we discovered that 13 of 23 salmons labeled as wild turned out to be farm-raised
  2. Farmed salmon are raised in pens, where they eat meal made from other fish that may have lived in polluted waters. As a result, they tend to accumulate more PCBs and dioxins than wild salmon. These industrial chemicals can cause cancer and reproductive problems, are fat-soluble and can be stored in the body’s fat tissue for years.

I'm assuming that #2 is true for all (other than salmon) farm raised fish

So the thing I'm not sure is... what quantities (PCBs and dioxins) are in there? ==> Does having occasional farm raised fish (say once or twice a week) outweigh the negatives? :confused:

sureshs 11-22-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 7028988)
^^ reminds me of the people who complain about irradiated food but use a microwave at home (most irradiation of food is done in the microwave wavelength range). Truth be told, the sorts of genetic modifications being done in the food industry seem unlikely to produce changes that are harmful. Genetically modifying cattle for example to produce fewer fat cells sounds like a good thing, and there isn't evidence of harm. Moreover, those who moan ab out genetic modification would be asked to remember on this Thanksgiving day that the primary goal of food industry genetics is to produce more and less costly food for a world in which a great deal of hunger still exists. Tissue culture has progressed to the point where it will soon be commercially feasible to grow hamburger meat in a lab; scoff at this only if you have made sure hunger has been fully resolved.

Sure. That is not the issue though. The issue is how much the industry is resisting to label GMO food as such. They spent a huge amount of money to defeat Prop 37 in California. If their goal is to solve the world's hunger, why not just tell us if the food is GMO or not? A lot of underhand tactics were used.

Just let us know and we will decide whether to eat it or not. Fair?

Tennusdude 11-22-2012 02:19 PM

I heard that McDonald's hamburgers are made from old dairy cows. Anyone else hear that?