Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who Are We Kidding About the Next Generation? . . . There Is No Next Generation! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446202)

winstonplum 11-19-2012 10:14 PM

Who Are We Kidding About the Next Generation? . . . There Is No Next Generation!

Dimitrov, Harrison, Tomic, Young . . . don't make me laugh. Hype, hype, and more hype.

There are three players in the top 20 under 25: Cilic, Delpo, and Raonic. Can you see any of those guys taking a slam in the next four years? Maybe Delpo if he gets a dream draw. Has there ever been a time in tennis like this?

Connors, McEnroe, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Sampras, Courier, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic--all of them had won a slam by the time they turned 22, some of them had won multiple slams before they turned 22. Agassi was 22, but it was his third slam final. The only player to buck this trend (late start winning slams but define a generation) was Lendl--24 in 1984. But again, he it was his fifth slam final. The similarities between him and his charge are just ridiculous.

My point is that players that win slams, players that define an era, a generation, make the big push when they're 20, 21, 22. No one is going to be winning slams besides the top four for the next four years. Their numbers are going to get gaudier and more impressive. Tsonga, Delpo, Ferrer, Berdych . . . all of them would need dream draws and lightning in a bottle performances to get a slam, or in Delpo's case, scrounge up another one.

The "next generation" are fifteen and sixteen year olds we've never heard of.

djokovic2008 11-19-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 7025634)
Dimitrov, Harrison, Tomic, Young . . . don't make me laugh. Hype, hype, and more hype.

There are three players in the top 20 under 25: Cilic, Delpo, and Raonic. Can you see any of those guys taking a slam in the next four years? Maybe Delpo if he gets a dream draw. Has there ever been a time in tennis like this?

Connors, McEnroe, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Sampras, Courier, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic--all of them had won a slam by the time they turned 22, some of them had won multiple slams before they turned 22. Agassi was 22, but it was his third slam final. The only player to buck this trend (late start winning slams but define a generation) was Lendl--24 in 1984. But again, he it was his fifth slam final. The similarities between him and his charge are just ridiculous.

My point is that players that win slams, players that define an era, a generation, make the big push when they're 20, 21, 22. No one is going to be winning slams besides the top four for the next four years. Their numbers are going to get gaudier and more impressive. Tsonga, Delpo, Ferrer, Berdych . . . all of them would need dream draws and lightning in a bottle performances to get a slam, or in Delpo's case, scrounge up another one.

Not every player develops the same, I heard commentary during the Raonic roddick match saying Raonic will DEFINETLEY win a slam in the next few years. If he continues to go forward then he can do it.

jokinla 11-19-2012 10:21 PM

It seems unlikely that it will compare to this generation.

smoledman 11-19-2012 10:29 PM

Filip Krajinović will be the next great player.

beast of mallorca 11-19-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonplum (Post 7025634)

More like the 11 to 13 year olds of today that will make the next generation of great players.

beast of mallorca 11-19-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7025651)
Filip Peliwo will be the next great player.

Corrected that for you............:)

Sabratha 11-19-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djokovic2008 (Post 7025638)
Not every player develops the same, I heard commentary during the Raonic roddick match saying Raonic will DEFINETLEY win a slam in the next few years. If he continues to go forward then he can do it.

Raonic won't be winning a slam, unless he gets a dream draw later in his career when he hasn't got much of a chance at winning one anymore; ala Goran.

Russeljones 11-20-2012 12:07 AM

It's sad that you've (OP) missed all the discussions on this topic. Maybe try the search function and help yourself to the constructive discussion (which has sadly been diluted by a repetition of misinformed representations similar to yours).

winstonplum 11-20-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 7025731)
It's sad that you've (OP) missed all the discussions on this topic. Maybe try the search function and help yourself to the constructive discussion (which has sadly been diluted by a repetition of misinformed representations similar to yours).

Thank you for adding your insipid piece of doggerel. Maybe you should try to add something constructive to this thread, instead of just leaving a snide remark. Please enlighten me, oh master, to the "misinformed representations" (whatever that jumbled nonsense phrase means) that I have made.

Gonzo_style 11-20-2012 08:53 AM

We got one in Paris...

Sabratha 11-20-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 7026314)
We got one in Paris...

You don't know how well he's going to do in the up coming Australian Open. Let him post some Grand Slam results after his big run before saying anything too big.

InspectorRacquet 11-20-2012 09:41 AM

As far as I see it, Nadal's absence was really the best chance for anyone from the younger generation to step up and go deep in a slam whilst causing an upset or two.

We all saw Janowicz pull a dream run in Paris this year, but it was the end of the year and most players in the draw were just plain tired (not making excuses, just stating realities). That was the closest we got to a changing of the guard.

Now that Nadal will be back, we have to wait at least another five years.

Gonzo_style 11-20-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspectorRacquet (Post 7026400)
As far as I see it, Nadal's absence was really the best chance for anyone from the younger generation to step up and go deep in a slam whilst causing an upset or two.

We all saw Janowicz pull a dream run in Paris this year, but it was the end of the year and most players in the draw were just plain tired (not making excuses, just stating realities). That was the closest we got to a changing of the guard.

Now that Nadal will be back, we have to wait at least another five years.

I think it's too much, we will probably have at least two new top 10 members in 2014, I have high expectations for JJ.

Sabratha 11-20-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 7026409)
I think it's too much, we will probably have at least two new top 10 members in 2014, I have high expectations for JJ.

Let him defend his Paris final at the end of 2013 before talking about 2014.

Gonzo_style 11-20-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 7026417)
Let him defend his Paris final at the end of 2013 before talking about 2014.

But before Paris he can collect a lot of points because Janowicz has almost nothing to defend. JJ already played Masters finals, better than Raonic, Dimitrov, Harrison, Tomic and others...

tacou 11-20-2012 10:03 AM

I don't think any of these kids will do amazing things, but don't get too caught up in the moment. You realize how different the tour will look 3 years from now? Djokovic and Murray will still be playing slam finals but they are not going to win as often as Nadal/Fed did. A couple of the young guys will get a slam or 2 around 2015-2016

Andres 11-20-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 7025724)
Raonic won't be winning a slam, unless he gets a dream draw later in his career when he hasn't got much of a chance at winning one anymore; ala Goran.

Dream draw, ala Goran?

Goran had to go through Moya, Roddick, Rusedski, Safin, Henman and Rafter to win Wimbledon.

dudeski 11-20-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andres (Post 7026482)
Dream draw, ala Goran?

Goran had to go through Moya, Roddick, Rusedski, Safin, Henman and Rafter to win Wimbledon.

So you are saying he beat two decent grass court players? Unless of course you think that 18 year old Andy Roddick was a grass court giant. Certainly you can't imply that Rusedski was good on grass given that he only reached Wimbledon Q once in his life and lost to Pioline. Moya never made it past 2nd round at that point. We know how much Safin hates playing on grass so that basically leaves Henman and Rafter as the only two good grass court players.

Rock Strongo 11-20-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andres (Post 7026482)
Dream draw, ala Goran?

Wow. That draw is sheer brutality on any level.