Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dunlop biomimetic M 3.0 review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446237)

JackB1 11-20-2012 07:44 AM

Dunlop biomimetic M 3.0 review

Okay guys I just picked up a demo of the new Dunlop M3 .0. I was a user of the 4D 300 a couple of years back and really liked that racket. It was my main stick for over a year so that says a lot even though it was the tour model. I have to admit I was very curious when I heard about Dunlop redesigning the 300 model with a whole new mold. The new 3.0 really does feel like a whole new racket, for the better or worse I'm not quite sure. It definitely feels a lot more firm and stiff then prior years models. There is a little more power to be had this time, but not a whole lot just like the TW reviewers stated. This racquet feels very crisp to me, and maybe a little tinny feeling. The balance and swing weight feels perfect for me, I would say 325 is very accurate. The static weight on my demo came in at 325 grams and the balance came in at four points headlight. The racket feels great through the air, not too light and whippy and not too heavy and sluggish. Groundstrokes felt pretty good, easy to keep the ball in play and definitely more on the control side of things. Serves were also pretty good with a nice amount of power and spin. My biggest and really only issue with this racket, at this point, is the sweet spot that the TW reviewers speak of. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it, but it seems rather easy to miss the middle of the racket. This results in a lot of shots that don't go where you intended and also in some bad feeling shots. The feel of the racket on impact reminds me a lot of Babolat's feeling. I am curious to hear if other users here will find the same problem with this new 3.0. I will pay more attention to this next time I go out and hit with this racket which may be tonight. If that doesn't change that would definitely be a dealbreaker for me. Would love to hear from anyone else who has tried this racquet so far and what you thought of it. I am kind of surprised at the lack of discussion about this racket so far, as the prior models were quite popular. So that's it for now, more to come.

By the way, this entire review was done using my iPhone's text to speech feature, so if there are some misspelled words or strange sounding sentences please forgive me :-). It's not perfect but it sure beats typing :-)

Power Player 11-20-2012 07:48 AM

Tinny? That is a shame. Dunlop has gone to the Dark side. I always loved that solid/muted feel the old Dunlops had.

JackB1 11-20-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7026192)
Tinny? That is a shame. Dunlop has gone to the Dark side. I always loved that solid/muted feel the old Dunlops had.

Me too. There was no sweeter feeling sweetspot than the AG4D 200.

The new molds feel nothing like the prior one's. Not much flex or pocketing going on. How much of this is due to my demo's string choice and tension is unknown. It has Dunlop Silk in it and it feels pretty high tension. I got the demo literally right off the truck.

Broly4 11-20-2012 08:20 AM

To me, you've been influenced by the tw review before the test, take into account that only Mark has experience with Dunlop, the others use/prefer overpowered frames.

robbo1970 11-20-2012 08:23 AM

I have read similar reviews, that Dunlop is going for a more 'modern' feel, which I guess means Babolat tinny feel.

Its a shame because the 'traditional' feel of Dunlop rackets is what makes them special. I just hope some of the 'Classic' range have kept the traditional feel to them.

I'm going off Silk too. It just feels......weird. I'm tempted to just stick in a decent nylon for now, at least I don't mind and know where I am with nylon.

Maybe the M3.0 just needs a re-string to improve feel.

What is it you mean by 'tinny'? Do you mean that feel you get when you hit with a lower end alloy racket?

JackB1 11-20-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broly4 (Post 7026266)
To me, you've been influenced by the tw review before the test, take into account that only Mark has experience with Dunlop, the others use/prefer overpowered frames.

not at all. I have liked many frames that the TW reviewers haven't and I form my own opinion. I realized they are just 4 or 5 individual opinions and may or may not coincide with mine.

JackB1 11-20-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo1970 (Post 7026271)
I have read similar reviews, that Dunlop is going for a more 'modern' feel, which I guess means Babolat tinny feel.

Its a shame because the 'traditional' feel of Dunlop rackets is what makes them special. I just hope some of the 'Classic' range have kept the traditional feel to them.

I'm going off Silk too. It just feels......weird. I'm tempted to just stick in a decent nylon for now, at least I don't mind and know where I am with nylon.

Maybe the M3.0 just needs a re-string to improve feel.

What is it you mean by 'tinny'? Do you mean that feel you get when you hit with a lower end alloy racket?

Are you currently trying a demo too?

By "tinny" I mean, not solid and stable feeling. Hard to put into words exactly...like tasting a wine. Reminded me of the prior year Pure Drive's. Almost like a non-descript "blah" feeling on impact....not one that you remember and want to hit again and again. Also very "crisp" feeling...not plush and full feeling.

Perhaps that is why the TW reviewers as a whole, were very luke warm on it? Just kind of a "non memorable" hitting experience. Again...this is with their Silk string at their tension.. I haven't really liked ANY racquet yet with that string in it.

Broly4 11-20-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7026288)

By "tinny" I mean, not solid and stable feeling. Hard to put into words exactly...like tasting a wine. Reminded me of the prior year Pure Drive's. Almost like a non-descript "blah" feeling on impact....not one that you remember and want to hit again and again. Also very "crisp" feeling...not plush and full feeling.

Perhaps that is why the TW reviewers as a whole, were very luke warm on it? Just kind of a "non memorable" hitting experience. Again...this is with their Silk string at their tension.. I haven't really liked ANY racquet yet with that string in it.

You should demo the racquet with your string of choice, it's the only way to know if the frame works for you, I usually break the strings in the first hitting session when demoing, but if not, cut them and restrung at my preference.

robbo1970 11-20-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7026288)

No, I have the Bio 300, but still strung with the silk. Im not a fan of it but will persist for a bit. Ive always preferred a very basic tournament nylon personally or PSGD, this silk just feels too stiff and powerless to me.

JackB1 11-20-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo1970 (Post 7026716)
No, I have the Bio 300, but still strung with the silk. Im not a fan of it but will persist for a bit. Ive always preferred a very basic tournament nylon personally or PSGD, this silk just feels too stiff and powerless to me.

I agree. To me silk feels like a cheap synthetic gut. Very much different than most other premium multis I have tried. Dunlop they definitely missed the mark on that one. On the other hand their new black widow Poly string is fantastic.

robbo1970 11-20-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7026754)
I agree. To me silk feels like a cheap synthetic gut. Very much different than most other premium multis I have tried. Dunlop they definitely missed the mark on that one. On the other hand their new black widow Poly string is fantastic.

Its a bit strange really, they have a great range of rackets but don't seem to back it up with a great choice of strings.

Like I said, I prefer Prince Nylon or SGD to silk.

JackB1 11-20-2012 08:22 PM

Played three more sets of doubles tonight with the 3.0. My impression of the racket improved slightly but I still have an issue with off-center hits. There just seems like there's too many that hit slightly off center and really don't go anywhere. The racket feels great if you could consistently hit the center. I think for 3.5 - 4.0s there are more user friendly options. More accomplished players that rarely miss the sweetspot and want a lighter players type racquet may like this one.

JackB1 11-24-2012 12:00 PM

would love to hear from anyone else that has tried this racquet.

JackB1 09-17-2013 08:10 AM

***thread revival***

anyone been using this racquet for any length of time? Seems to get very little talk around here. I haven't got to retry this after my initial "so-so" demo session with it, but was always curious how it would play with my string setup of choice?

MikeHitsHard93 09-17-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7763256)
***thread revival***

anyone been using this racquet for any length of time? Seems to get very little talk around here. I haven't got to retry this after my initial "so-so" demo session with it, but was always curious how it would play with my string setup of choice?

Jack I'm demoing this racket and I'm really liking it a lot. Really like the stability in the upper hoop! It almost cups the ball and spits it out...lol.

JackB1 09-17-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7763487)
Jack I'm demoing this racket and I'm really liking it a lot. Really like the stability in the upper hoop! It almost cups the ball and spits it out...lol.

It is a nice racquet. My initial review was a little biased because I LOVED the Dunlop 4D Aerogel 300 and had high expectations for this one. I would definitely pick this one over the Prestige S you are considering. There are many negatives comments about the S on these boards and there may be something to all that. I found it to be a nice feeling racquet, but had too many shortcomings.

MikeHitsHard93 09-17-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7763583)
It is a nice racquet. My initial review was a little biased because I LOVED the Dunlop 4D Aerogel 300 and had high expectations for this one. I would definitely pick this one over the Prestige S you are considering. There are many negatives comments about the S on these boards and there may be something to all that. I found it to be a nice feeling racquet, but had too many shortcomings.

I can basically come up with four words that characterize it for me: solid with no frills. That's really my feeling towards this racket. It's like a blank canvas for any style of player IMO.

The prestige s has a nice soft plush feeling, but it's a tiny bit unstable and I don't like the clear caps. What's also interesting is this demo round I ordered a grip size down from my usual size 4, and I really like the change! Pickup shots are easier it seems because I can flick my wrist easier...maybe it's placebo?

LeeD 09-17-2013 11:55 AM

I'm still on 4D300 with SolincoTB 16 at 47 lbs.
Very good, even though CJack says my tension has dropped to 37.
Also have Bio300T with Ice17 at 50 lbs., not bad, but needs a stronger hitter than me.
When I need more power, I just grab one of 3 Aero500's weighted to 11 oz and SW'ed up to 320. Those are strung with LuxBBLite16 at 52 lbs.

JackB1 09-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7763817)
I can basically come up with four words that characterize it for me: solid with no frills. That's really my feeling towards this racket. It's like a blank canvas for any style of player IMO.

The prestige s has a nice soft plush feeling, but it's a tiny bit unstable and I don't like the clear caps. What's also interesting is this demo round I ordered a grip size down from my usual size 4, and I really like the change! Pickup shots are easier it seems because I can flick my wrist easier...maybe it's placebo?

Tried the 3.0 M once again today for 3 sets of doubles. Unsure about it, but it's a interesting racquet for sure. It makes a unique "DINK" sound on impact, as opposed to a deeper sound you get from other racquets. Very controlled power and I could swing hard without too much fear of hitting long. Groundies felt good but I had a hard time with feel and touch shots. Serves had good placement but not as much pace as the V1. Will try some more this week.

MikeHitsHard93 09-22-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7773934)
Tried the 3.0 M once again today for 3 sets of doubles. Unsure about it, but it's a interesting racquet for sure. It makes a unique "DINK" sound on impact, as opposed to a deeper sound you get from other racquets. Very controlled power and I could swing hard without too much fear of hitting long. Groundies felt good but I had a hard time with feel and touch shots. Serves had good placement but not as much pace as the V1. Will try some more this week.

I kinda like the "dink" sound lol. Makes me feel like a hit a line drive with a baseball bat in a way...

Standout impressions I got were: does everything alright, and nothing great. Which is actually what I'm looking for. However, I felt like it was actually a bit unstable and the sweet spot was iffy at times. Lacked plow, and I'm beginning to see that I like that feature.