Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Multi recommendation for power, or just string looser? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446243)

bkpr 11-20-2012 09:36 AM

Multi recommendation for power, or just string looser?

Hey all.

Looking to try a new string. I've been playing with Wilson Sensation 17 in my BLX Blade 98s for the better part of 18 months at low to mid 50s tension, sometimes crossing it with a syn gut for experimenting. I like the feel of the string, but I'm looking for a little more power. I prefer the feel when I'm strung in the mid-50s, but I can live with a 50lbs racquet.

Should I just string a little lower, i.e. 46lbs?, or is there a string which suits what I'm after?

Thanks in advance!

kopfan 11-20-2012 09:54 AM

try out tourna quasi on crosses at your usual 54s lbs. Very soft multi and stretches well. String co poly in the main and you will get feel, power, control, spin potential. When doing a hybrid, it is the cross string that provide you the overall feel and the main string doing all the brushing work most of the time.

anubis 11-20-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkpr (Post 7026282)
Hey all.

Looking to try a new string. I've been playing with Wilson Sensation 17 in my BLX Blade 98s for the better part of 18 months at low to mid 50s tension, sometimes crossing it with a syn gut for experimenting. I like the feel of the string, but I'm looking for a little more power. I prefer the feel when I'm strung in the mid-50s, but I can live with a 50lbs racquet.

Should I just string a little lower, i.e. 46lbs?, or is there a string which suits what I'm after?

Thanks in advance!

You want more power? Softer strings offer more power. Look for multis that are rated for very low stiffness. You can find their stiffness ratings on TW's learning center. Once you find a soft string, string it lower than you are now. If you string in the "low 50's", what is that, precisely? 52lbs? 50lbs? Whatever you're stringing at, string 2 lbs lower than that. Keep stringing 2 lbs lower until you find the tension that gives you the most power without sacrificing control.

mikeler 11-20-2012 12:33 PM

Tecnifibre X1 16 has a lot of pop which is controllable for the first few hours. Some other strings that have a lot of power but may be considered "springy" are Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17, Genesis Xplosion 16 and Gamma TNT2 16.

bkpr 11-20-2012 06:25 PM

Cool, thanks for your responses everyone!

@Mikeler, I've read many, many of your multi reviews. Great information, although it scares me to try and find a new string by going through all of your reviews :S

@Kopfan, I thought it was the other way round: a hybrid setup will feel more like the main, but be mellowed out by the cross.

mikeler 11-20-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkpr (Post 7026980)
Cool, thanks for your responses everyone!

@Mikeler, I've read many, many of your multi reviews. Great information, although it scares me to try and find a new string by going through all of your reviews :S

@Kopfan, I thought it was the other way round: a hybrid setup will feel more like the main, but be mellowed out by the cross.

Don't be afraid my friend. It is just one person's opinion. :)

The main string/tension provides 75% of the setup. The cross strings can make or break that last 25% though.

fortun8son 11-20-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7026578)
Tecnifibre X1 16 has a lot of pop which is controllable for the first few hours. Some other strings that have a lot of power but may be considered "springy" are Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17, Genesis Xplosion 16 and Gamma TNT2 16.

^^^+
Sensation 17 arlready has a lot of power. You are lessening it by crossing with syngut.
Premier Softflex 17 is also a candidate for a non-stringbreaker.
A lot of people forget about Fibergel Power.

You can also try adding some lead at 10 & 2.

bkpr 11-21-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7027201)
Sensation 17 arlready has a lot of power. You are lessening it by crossing with syngut.

I didn't realise that. I was experimenting with something to produce a bit more spin, which I think it actually did, but I'm not sure I like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7027201)
You can also try adding some lead at 10 & 2

I've stayed away with putting lead in the hoop of the Blade 98s as I reckon there's enough heft there already.

===

I'll try a full bed of Sensation again (or maybe NXT 17) to see if the difference really is in the crossed syn gut. Failing that, I'll try one of the strings you fine people have suggested. I'm a tinkerer at heart, but I need to resist the temptation to find that 'perfect' string.

Thanks again for your help!

fortun8son 11-21-2012 03:31 PM

Oops, didn't read your sig.
NXT will have less power than the Sensation.
You could try X-One Biphase 18 or the Fibergel for something cheaper.
Durability could be an issue, though.

Muppet 11-21-2012 05:00 PM

I'm not sure what your technique is like, but it seems like you should be getting more than enough power from multi in the low 50s. If you plant your feet well, rotate your torso as you swing your arm, and meet the ball out in front, following all the way through, you'll gain in both power and precision.

Sorry if I presumed incorrectly that this information would be useful to you.

bkpr 11-22-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7028202)
NXT will have less power than the Sensation.
You could try X-One Biphase 18 or the Fibergel for something cheaper.

I thought NXT had more power (I think I saw that on stringforum?). I could be wrong about that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 7028341)
I'm not sure what your technique is like, but it seems like you should be getting more than enough power from multi in the low 50s … Sorry if I presumed incorrectly that this information would be useful to you.

I'm around 3.25 rating nowadays (I'm guessing), so there's much improvement to be made. On that note, yesterday I tried one change which was simply trying to step into each ground stroke. I realised I tend to hover close to the baseline and move back a step or two to prepare for an oncoming fast ball, leading to me hitting while moving backwards. Staying back a bit and stepping in to the shot made a big difference to my power. Cheaper than trialing strings too :)

===
I'll go back to full Sensation 17 first, and see how that plays out. Then the tinkering bug will hit again, and I'll try another string. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Muppet 11-22-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkpr (Post 7028835)
I'm around 3.25 rating nowadays (I'm guessing), so there's much improvement to be made. On that note, yesterday I tried one change which was simply trying to step into each ground stroke. I realised I tend to hover close to the baseline and move back a step or two to prepare for an oncoming fast ball, leading to me hitting while moving backwards. Staying back a bit and stepping in to the shot made a big difference to my power. Cheaper than trialing strings too :)

===
I'll go back to full Sensation 17 first, and see how that plays out. Then the tinkering bug will hit again, and I'll try another string. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I'm glad that's working better for you now. Please keep us posted on how your string trials go for you.

bkpr 11-26-2012 07:17 PM

Well, here's an update: yesterday was my birthday and from my wife I received 2x Wilson Gut 16 and 2x Alu Rough 16L :D (Not really sure how she knew of this string combo other than asking someone at the tennis store what 'Federer' uses, heh.) Top wife!

Now that my string experimentation has changed I have a new question: If I'm currently running Sensation 17 @ ~53lbs, with syngut cross at ~51lbs, what would you recommend as a starting tension for the 'Federer' setup? I've never used gut OR poly, so maybe the best thing is to string at the same tension Gut/Poly 53/51lbs, and see what has to happen after that?

A quick Googlé search seems to say to string gut a couple lbs higher, but I don't know how the poly will affect it (I presume it'll stiffen the bed).

Any thoughts are appreciated :)

fortun8son 11-26-2012 10:26 PM

Stay with the same tension.
The heavier gauge will feel stiffer (as will the poly cross vs. syngut) and the Blade 98 is very different than Fed's Six.One Tour.
You could check Serena's tensions.
Alas, it will not be more powerful than Sensation 17.
More spin, though.
Maybe just use the natgut fullbed and bank the ALU.

UCSF2012 11-26-2012 10:33 PM

Blade 98 with full multi not providing enough power. ....time to improve your technique. You should be able to blast 140mph serves with that as is.

bkpr 11-27-2012 04:31 AM

- Full bed eh? Might give it a go.
- Improve my technique, are you joking?!?! My wife seemingly compares me to Federer!!! ;)

Yes, my technique does need improving no doubt. I mentioned above that I've just begun really stepping into every groundstroke and it has increased my power — and confidence — a fair bit already. But I ain't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth!

mikeler 11-27-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkpr (Post 7034405)
- Full bed eh? Might give it a go.
- Improve my technique, are you joking?!?! My wife seemingly compares me to Federer!!! ;)

Yes, my technique does need improving no doubt. I mentioned above that I've just begun really stepping into every groundstroke and it has increased my power — and confidence — a fair bit already. But I ain't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth!

At your level, don't bother with poly. It is just a waste. You've gut a beautiful gut string. Go full bed at similar tension to your multi and enjoy.

bkpr 11-27-2012 05:51 AM

Ok, will do. Will drop it in this week.
I've been reading a bit on hybrids and full beds of gut and getting a little excited. I really have no idea what to expect.

Thanks everyone.

NLBwell 11-27-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkpr (Post 7034405)
- My wife seemingly compares me to Federer!!! ;)

Do you have twins?

NLBwell 11-27-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7034444)
At your level, don't bother with poly. It is just a waste. You've gut a beautiful gut string. Go full bed at similar tension to your multi and enjoy.

Yes, the gut will last a long time. If you cross with a poly the poly will die quickly and the stringbed won't be very good for long.
The gut will be significantly more powerful at the same tension. Normally, I would say string a few lbs higher with gut to not change the power level so much, but since you want more power, give it a go at your current tension. (I assume you have an 18 main string Blade.)