Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Welcome One and All to the First Annual Box League Games! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446279)

Fuji 11-20-2012 07:50 PM

Welcome One and All to the First Annual Box League Games!

Welcome one and all to the first annual Box League Games!

As some of you may remember I did a blog regarding my tennis life many moons ago that crashed and burned due to personal issues. This time around I want to make a better and more comprehensive guide into the life of a mid range 4.0 player here in Canada. Being a 4.0 player here means I will be competing against players that are 4.00 to 4.99. The top end 4.0 players are what top end 4.5 players are in the USA. I'll be posting general information regarding my game, and the results of my matches throughout the next year, (or at least I hope to!)

Here is the meat and potatoes of the system we shall be working on here:

1) This is a box league format. You live and die by the box you are placed into by the reining president of the club.
2) Matches are to be played in sixty (60) minutes or less.
3) Matches are best of 11 games. First to six (6) wins. In the event of a five (5) all match, a tie-break shall be played to determine the outcome.
4) At the end of each season, results will determine which box you are placed into.

This time around will be my second “season” of box league. It's a continuous club competition that goes full year round to my knowledge. This season there are 11 boxes. I am placed in box 6, very middle of the road. Boxes 1, 2, and 3 are Open to 5.0 respectively. Boxes 4-5-6 are 4.99-4.0 respectively. Boxes 7-11 are below 4.0 ranging to 1.0. This season runs from November 20th, 2012 to January 27th, 2013. I have 7 other tributes in my box that I must compete against to be crowned champion of box 6 to advance further in competition.

The main goals of the league are to:

Get plenty of match experience over the course of this year.
Hone present skills and strokes to a higher level.

Some simple information about myself that has most likely be echoed for years around this forum:

I'm 6'0 tall / 180lbs / Young Adult
I play defensive tennis with offensive minded striking ability. I serve larger then average for my level.
I've played as high as top end 4.0 in the past for singles, but due to injury/burn out I dropped drastically in ranking.
I'm a complete gear head. Stay tuned for my delves into madness with different gear as I also heavily test string for “the other forum” and I test rackets as they come in for my shop.
I'll also be uploading videos of my strokes and match play as often as I can get a recording set up. Here is the first one of my serve taken by my coach.

http://youtu.be/g6Z0U6K3b4c
Last but not least, I with you all well and I hope you enjoy the journey to the depths of my tennis soul!

-Fuji

Fuji 11-20-2012 07:57 PM

Reserve post for future videos and easy references:

-Fuji

Fuji 11-20-2012 08:06 PM

November 20th, 2012.

Hello fellow readers and sponsors! I'd like to thank each of you for making it past the first post without quickly clicking away in a bout of disgust! There are a few things I want to talk about tonight.

Regarding the serve video:
- Yes, I know I started way too far back from the baseline. I have since corrected this.
- Yes, my toss arm is too far forward, I also have been working on getting it to go straight up, rather than up and forward.

With that out of the way, on to the next topic.

Obviously this blog isn't going to be for a lot of people on this forum. I fully accept that, and with that I hereby accept the criticisms that will accompany this. All I ask is that you do not clutter this thread with stabs at me, I'd honestly much rather you private message me instead. I don't claim to be a tennis god, rather I claim to be a highly dedicated and motivated tennis player in pursuit of the sheer bliss of being the best I can be. It's going to be a long road filled with bumps and bruises, but I hope some of you can find the glimmer of entertainment I hope to provide with my plight.

Last but not least, I will be attempting to update this as much as I can with my tennis endeavours, but there will be posts that are longer then average making up for a few days worth of life. I apologise in advance to those looking for quick one liners, this isn't the reading for you!

Thanks again!

-Fuji

Fuji 11-22-2012 06:14 PM

November 22nd

Hey all!

Nursing a bit of a shoulder niggle today and yesterday but I'm hoping it will be feeling good tomorrow morning. I have 2 hours of practice tomorrow which should be a good way to work out some kinks. Hitting with a player who came in top 3 for box 1 last season, and we normally have a solid hit. After that I'm practising with a futures player that is coming off injury so maybe I'll be able to squeak some points off him! :razz:

I'll check back in tomorrow with an update on how it went. Happy Thanksgiving / Black Friday for all those who have it this weekend!

-Fuji

Fuji 11-23-2012 03:15 PM

Hey all!

Hit this morning with good results. My backhand is hitting well, clean and out front! My forehand is starting to groove nicely as well, having a bit of issue with my foot work and making sure I take it out front but I like how it's starting to groove nicely.

Futures guy kicked my butt, he was taking it easy and he was hitting such a ridiculously heavy ball. In backhand to backhand rallies I was able to power him off the court. Forehands he just rocks me hard!

Hopefully I'm going to be able to get some video of us hitting next week. It would be interesting to see the difference between us on film!

Anywho, work all weekend so no matches. Sent out the organizational email tonight for the league so it should be fun!

-Fuji

axel89 11-24-2012 05:06 AM

hey fuji big fan of yours and i hope you do well in this box league or whatever hahah

sureshs 11-24-2012 11:38 AM

I thought box was some region of the court

Fuji 11-26-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel89 (Post 7030725)
hey fuji big fan of yours and i hope you do well in this box league or whatever hahah

Haha thank you!

-Fuji

Fuji 11-26-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7031048)
I thought box was some region of the court

I think it is? Or maybe it's curling I'm thinking about... :razz:

-Fuji

Timbo's hopeless slice 11-26-2012 01:42 PM

so, remind me, are you in the bit with the oil and the cowboys, the marijuana and the mountains or the flat bit in the middle?

:)

thejackal 11-26-2012 02:03 PM

best of luck in the league fuji.

I live in the part of canada with poutine. if you're ever in this neck of the wood we'll go hit.

Timbo's hopeless slice 11-26-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejackal (Post 7033685)
best of luck in the league fuji.

I live in the part of canada with poutine. if you're ever in this neck of the wood we'll go hit.

I've been to BC a couple of times in the winter (to ski), always wanted to see a lot more of Canada.

might get around to it in the next few years as the last of our kids leave home (hopefully!)

Fuji 11-26-2012 05:42 PM

LOL! I'm in the bit with the oil and cowboys! :razz: BC is wonderful though, I've gone skiing there quite a few times and I swear it has to be one of the best spots in the world. Timbo, if you ever make it out to my neck of the woods I'd love to hit!

@Jackal Thanks! For sure I'd love to hit. I've never been able to make my way down east yet but I hope to make it out in the next few years. Likewise the offer stands for you to have a hit if you make it out west!

-Fuji

thejackal 11-26-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7034004)
LOL! I'm in the bit with the oil and cowboys! :razz: BC is wonderful though, I've gone skiing there quite a few times and I swear it has to be one of the best spots in the world. Timbo, if you ever make it out to my neck of the woods I'd love to hit!

@Jackal Thanks! For sure I'd love to hit. I've never been able to make my way down east yet but I hope to make it out in the next few years. Likewise the offer stands for you to have a hit if you make it out west!

-Fuji

Used to work in edm and it was a bit of a hellhole. Heard good things about cgy though

Fuji 11-26-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejackal (Post 7034189)
Used to work in edm and it was a bit of a hellhole. Heard good things about cgy though

Really??? I'm born and raised in EDM. I definitely agree with your statement though, it's a bit rough around the edges to say the least. Cgy is a very nice place though, I really like it down there.

-Fuji

Fuji 11-28-2012 11:46 AM

Hitting booked again for Friday with a guy from box 1 and then a open player again. Should be interesting to say the least! Will post back saying how it goes! :)

-Fuji

Fuji 12-03-2012 06:39 PM

Hey all! Sorry for the lack of an update.

Killed my shoulder somehow during my hitting session on Friday. It's really my shoulder blade but I've been doing rest and basic stretching to see how it's holding up. Feeling much better today though which is nice. I hope to get a hit in before weeks end however to test the waters.

First match should be coming soon, hopefully before finals!

-Fuji

Fuji 12-09-2012 04:21 PM

Hey all!

Exams this week so I don't believe any matches!

Stay tuned for next week! :D

-Fuji

Fuji 12-12-2012 08:36 PM

Hey all, managed to sneek in a quick hit with an old friend today who plays solid low end 4.0 tennis. Was a pretty easy set we played that I won in a tie break, 7-6 (7-3). I didn't drop serve which is always a nice thing to have happen!

Still trying to work on some confidence issues with the forehand, but my backhand hit a ton of clean return winners and my twist serve was bouncing nice and high!

Overall a good hour long hit to relieve some stress of final exams!

-Fuji

corbind 12-14-2012 01:00 AM

Looking forward to reading these updates. We get a front row seat to your tennis life. :)