Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Opinion on Head Prestige S or Yonex Vcore 100s (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446391)

abhimawa 11-22-2012 08:15 AM

Opinion on Head Prestige S or Yonex Vcore 100s

hi there all,
Recently, I have been back to tennis after about 7 years of absence.
My skill is just so-so, about 4.5 in good days, but has been inconsistent now.
Now at my 40's, I feel that I don't have the muscle anymore to play with my old racquets, the Estusa Power Beam Pro, strung at 57 and 60. My volley is still there, but serve can be inconsistent, and constantly late on forehand, and even more on the backhand.

I know I need to practice a lot more to get my timing back. But, then, the racquets seem very heavy, and unforgiving sometimes. Took off the leads, but did not help that much. Therefore, I consider to switch to easier racquet to play with, so that I can concentrate more on my footwork.

I browsed around the internet, read some reviews, and judging from the specification, I feel that either Head Prestige S Yonex Vcore 100s will be my next racquet.

In the country where I live, racquet demo seems impossible. Thus, I'd appreciate if someone who had experienced with these 2 racquets can give some opinion.

The reason behind Yonex is that I used to play with RD-7 when I was a kid, and still can remember its sweetspot and stability. Meanwhile, I tried prestige 300 a long time ago, and felt that it was also very sweet, but had to stick with Estusa PBP since I didn't want to change my style that time.

On the court, I tried my friend's Babolat, the Nadal-like racquet, and somehow felt awkward. I tried the Pure Drive, the blue one, felt better than the yellow Nadal's version, but still awkward. Another tryout was a friend's prestige 300. Nice feeling, but still a bit demanding.

Really really appreciate any input here regarding those two racquets.

Thanks.

NLBwell 11-22-2012 08:41 AM

Play with your current racket (without lead) a little more until you feel like your timing is pretty good.
Then move to one of the others (they seem to be pretty similar - seems you have done some research). That way, you don't have the new racket just reinforcing your bad technique and timing since they will allow it. There will be an adjustment period, but at least you would be starting from a good spot.

Overheadsmash 11-22-2012 10:48 AM

I have the new S and it is nice, stable stick that is pretty easy to swing. I use tourna silver rough 17 in it at 50 lbs. I really like the prestige line because the feel is so nice.

tistrapukcipeht 11-22-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhimawa (Post 7029016)
hi there all,
Recently, I have been back to tennis after about 7 years of absence.
My skill is just so-so, about 4.5 in good days, but has been inconsistent now.
Now at my 40's, I feel that I don't have the muscle anymore to play with my old racquets, the Estusa Power Beam Pro, strung at 57 and 60. My volley is still there, but serve can be inconsistent, and constantly late on forehand, and even more on the backhand.

I know I need to practice a lot more to get my timing back. But, then, the racquets seem very heavy, and unforgiving sometimes. Took off the leads, but did not help that much. Therefore, I consider to switch to easier racquet to play with, so that I can concentrate more on my footwork.

I browsed around the internet, read some reviews, and judging from the specification, I feel that either Head Prestige S Yonex Vcore 100s will be my next racquet.

In the country where I live, racquet demo seems impossible. Thus, I'd appreciate if someone who had experienced with these 2 racquets can give some opinion.

The reason behind Yonex is that I used to play with RD-7 when I was a kid, and still can remember its sweetspot and stability. Meanwhile, I tried prestige 300 a long time ago, and felt that it was also very sweet, but had to stick with Estusa PBP since I didn't want to change my style that time.

On the court, I tried my friend's Babolat, the Nadal-like racquet, and somehow felt awkward. I tried the Pure Drive, the blue one, felt better than the yellow Nadal's version, but still awkward. Another tryout was a friend's prestige 300. Nice feeling, but still a bit demanding.

Really really appreciate any input here regarding those two racquets.

Thanks.

If you can try the Ezone Xi 100, I chose this one over the Vcore 100S, to me overall it's better, if there were no Ezone Xi, I'd play with VCore 100S. I did try the Babolat ones, all were horrible, they play like Walmart racquets, if you're used to Yonex solid feel with no vibrations, I gotta say, more Yonex for you.

BigM 11-22-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tistrapukcipeht (Post 7029381)
If you can try the Ezone Xi 100, I chose this one over the Vcore 100S, to me overall it's better, if there were no Ezone Xi, I'd play with VCore 100S. I did try the Babolat ones, all were horrible, they play like Walmart racquets, if you're used to Yonex solid feel with no vibrations, I gotta say, more Yonex for you.

Wallmart??? LOL!! Anti Bab?

Personally I would wait for the new Vcores to come out. They are much better than their previous incarnations. They play much smoother in my opinion. The new 98 could be something worth checking out.

tistrapukcipeht 11-23-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigM (Post 7029509)
Wallmart??? LOL!! Anti Bab?

Personally I would wait for the new Vcores to come out. They are much better than their previous incarnations. They play much smoother in my opinion. The new 98 could be something worth checking out.

BigM,

not anti Bab, but very honest how I felt about their racquets, I won't say the same about their strings, very good strings, but these 2 racquets I demoed are the very worse.

I test drove a Mercedes C250 and a Mercedes E350, big difference between the 2, even bigger difference it is to my VW Passat, which isn't a bad car.

So comparing Yonex to Babolat now I got this conclusion it is like comparing the E350 to a GM car, that much difference in comfort and performance.

I was actually going to apply to the TW play test, but I saw that it was even stiffer than before, so I gave up on it, is getting colder and last thing I wanna do is get injured.

Anyway, can you compare the VCore Xi 100 with Ezone Xi, and also Vcore 98D with VCore Xi 98D?

I appreciated!:)

mirceam 11-23-2012 12:39 PM

Go 4 Yonex VCore 98D or the new Xi98 . More power than the Prestige and almost the same control. I strung mine with poly 48/46 lbs. It feel stiff but i didn't had any arm problems .

my second racquet is Babolat Pure Drive Roddick GT. The Roddick is also a nice racquet but has just a little more power than i like.

BigM 11-23-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tistrapukcipeht (Post 7030164)
BigM,

not anti Bab, but very honest how I felt about their racquets, I won't say the same about their strings, very good strings, but these 2 racquets I demoed are the very worse.

I test drove a Mercedes C250 and a Mercedes E350, big difference between the 2, even bigger difference it is to my VW Passat, which isn't a bad car.

So comparing Yonex to Babolat now I got this conclusion it is like comparing the E350 to a GM car, that much difference in comfort and performance.

I was actually going to apply to the TW play test, but I saw that it was even stiffer than before, so I gave up on it, is getting colder and last thing I wanna do is get injured.

Anyway, can you compare the VCore Xi 100 with Ezone Xi, and also Vcore 98D with VCore Xi 98D?

When I was using the 98D i found it to feel a little too stiff in the upper hoop. Its a difficult thing for me to fully explain it was like the frame had no real sweet spot. The new version of this frame plays smoother. I really notice a big jump in comfort even though the specs remain the same. I felt like the ball was able to stay on the strings much longer which for me made it a much more enjoyable frame to play with. Its still firm and responsive , just more comfortable.

I'm still considering my thoughts on the new 100s. I'm not sure if its better or not lol.

Hope that helps.

tistrapukcipeht 11-24-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigM (Post 7030510)
When I was using the 98D i found it to feel a little too stiff in the upper hoop. Its a difficult thing for me to fully explain it was like the frame had no real sweet spot. The new version of this frame plays smoother. I really notice a big jump in comfort even though the specs remain the same. I felt like the ball was able to stay on the strings much longer which for me made it a much more enjoyable frame to play with. Its still firm and responsive , just more comfortable.

I'm still considering my thoughts on the new 100s. I'm not sure if its better or not lol.

Hope that helps.

I'll have to demo both, and see how they go against the Ezone Xi, for sure the VCore 100S I didn't think it was as great great as the Ezone Xi, 98D was very good, but I like the Xi feel better, 98D was more accurate and amazing at hitting winners, whippy and powerful for killing points.

sundaypunch 11-24-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tistrapukcipeht (Post 7030164)
BigM,

Not anti Babolat? A quick look at your posting history and it looks like most of your day is spent making negative comments about them. For someone that doesn't like them you seem to have a strange obsession with them. You had a better chance of winning the US Open than getting picked by TW to playtest the new APD, lol.

tistrapukcipeht 11-25-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 7030849)
Not anti Babolat? A quick look at your posting history and it looks like most of your day is spent making negative comments about them. For someone that doesn't like them you seem to have a strange obsession with them. You had a better chance of winning the US Open than getting picked by TW to playtest the new APD, lol.

haha, still I'm not saying anything that isn't truth and well reported here, by people that work in the business -AKA Drakulie- loose butt caps, grommets breaking easily, racquets with premature cracking, low quality, overpriced stiff causing many arm problems...

Sorry but if they don't want to be named as cheap racquets they should improve their racquets 110%.

And now they raised the price $199 for the junk aero pro made in China, now this is outrageous.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore.

abhimawa 11-25-2012 08:14 AM

Thanks for all the inputs!
NLBwell's comment made me doing the recap. I realized that without sound footwork, there is no good timing, and no solid stroke consequently. Racquet plays an important role, but so do footwork and timing.
Now about the racquet, a friend of mine has both Head Prestige 300 MidPlus and a Yonex Vcore 98D. I tried both (both have Luxilon strings), and I think they are very capable racquets with different feel. The Yonex has crisp-feeling, and can be a bit hard on the arm.
The Prestige 300 has the distinctive Prestige's feeling.
So, I've decided not to get neither the vcore 100s nor the prestige S..

tistrapukcipeht 11-25-2012 10:45 AM

If it is about the feel being soft, look at RDiS 200 Lite, number of people said it is really soft.

TripleB 11-25-2012 11:24 AM

All I can add is demo, demo, demo.

I've tried all the racquets mentioned here, except the Prestige 300, and none of them were good (IMO of course). The only one that gave me hope was the RDiS 200 Lite and it would need lead...just didn't have enough mass and got pushed around.

TripleB

abhimawa 11-26-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleB (Post 7032173)

TripleB

Thanks TripleB, but that I could not do. No store would allow it in my country. At the end, I think close string pattern provides better control sacrificing only marginal spin ability, while leather grip has more bevel definition, and more solid feel.

lightflow 11-26-2012 10:00 PM

deleted....

JackB1 01-04-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleB (Post 7032173)

I've tried all the racquets mentioned here, except the Prestige 300, and none of them were good (IMO of course). The only one that gave me hope was the RDiS 200 Lite and it would need lead...just didn't have enough mass and got pushed around.

TripleB

what the heck is the "Prestige 300"???

DownTheLineWith90 01-04-2013 07:21 PM

Walmart hahahaha

DownTheLineWith90 01-04-2013 07:22 PM

^^ I know there's a Head IG Speed 300.
Never heard of the Prestige 300..

JackB1 01-29-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7098610)
what the heck is the "Prestige 300"???

Again...what the heck is the "Prestige 300"????????