Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   POG OS - Similar racket? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446396)

Rulo 11-22-2012 08:51 AM

POG OS - Similar racket?

I got a racket for free from a seller because he took too long to send me the racket I bought XD

The racket is a Prince Synergy CTS DB 26 Oversize (Something like that)
Is it any good??
How can you compare it to the POG OS??
I'm definitely not an OS user, but I like to experiment with different rackets, is this racket worth a try?

struggle 11-22-2012 10:23 AM

tapered i believe?

won't play like a POG, but i know some users of the CTS frames and they like them.

maybe abit too much of a "thunderstick", but give it a whirl. nice doubles stick, perhaps.

Rulo 11-22-2012 11:21 AM

Yep, in fact its Constant Tapered Beam, 26mm. Can I get some massive topspin out of it? What string would you recommend?

mad dog1 11-22-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulo (Post 7029191)
Yep, in fact its Constant Tapered Beam, 26mm. Can I get some massive topspin out of it? What string would you recommend?

try it out and see.

makinao 11-22-2012 01:09 PM

I consider it a demi-classic among Prince OSs. With the right string setup, it might change your mind about OSs.

Steve Huff 11-22-2012 02:47 PM

I've heard a lot of good over the years of stringing about them.

goran_ace 11-22-2012 03:46 PM

In my opinion the Prince CTS Lightning/Synergy DB26 is one of the best rackets they ever made (my personal favorite of that era was the Approach/Synergy 28 ). Rock solid old-school graphite feel, easy access to spin, really great all around (serves, groundies, net play) but will feel a bit sluggish compared to today's tweener rackets. Compared to the POG OS it's going to feel a lot stiffer in the head and give you some extra pop.

goran_ace 11-22-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulo (Post 7029191)

Back in the day I used to string a lot of those with synthetic gut in the 65-68 range, but back then it seemed like people were only using prince synthetic gut or pro blend (kevlar hybrid). I'd think it would take to a soft poly really well.

Rulo 11-22-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7029404)
Back in the day I used to string a lot of those with synthetic gut in the 65-68 range, but back then it seemed like people were only using prince synthetic gut or pro blend (kevlar hybrid). I'd think it would take to a soft poly really well.

I was thinking about SPPP.... How would it work??
What tension would you recommend?? I was thinking about 28 kilos, but I'm afraid the racket it's too old and could crack or something, because a few months ago, I send one of my PST+ to a tennis shop and ask them to string it with Ballistic Polymono at 28 kilos....4 hours later, the racket broke at 3 o'clock :cry:

makinao 11-23-2012 03:54 AM

I got a second-hand Synergy CTS DB 24 Oversize, and strung it with a no-name mono poly 17 at 25 kilos. I think it could take 28 kilos since it's an OS.

goran_ace 11-23-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulo (Post 7029419)
I was thinking about SPPP.... How would it work??
What tension would you recommend?? I was thinking about 28 kilos, but I'm afraid the racket it's too old and could crack or something, because a few months ago, I send one of my PST+ to a tennis shop and ask them to string it with Ballistic Polymono at 28 kilos....4 hours later, the racket broke at 3 o'clock :cry:

The racket should be able to handle 28 kilos (62 lbs), but I wouldn't go any higher than that and it's probably best to go lower from a playability standpoint. In my opinion SPPP performs better at lower tensions. If you want a tighter stringbed, keep the tension the same and just choose a stiffer string. If you've never hit the racket before I'd say strung it at 28 kg (midpoint of tension range 55-70 pounds) with synthetic gut the first time so you have some sort of reference on what the racket feels like, then next time you have it strung try out the SPPP at 24-25 kg. From there you can go up or down 1-1.5 kg depending on your preference.

If your racket cracks, it cracks. You got it for free, and it's a 20 year old racket. What do you expect. Your PST+ on the other hand should not have cracked just from stringing poly at high tension, perhaps it already had hairline fractures from hitting the court.

adista4 12-01-2012 12:42 AM

The Head TT Radical Tour (zebra) is almost identical in terms of playability, with a little less spin potential