Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Old String Question for the experienced (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446417)

dak95_00 11-22-2012 06:56 PM

Old String Question for the experienced

I was bored this evening after string a handful of racquets the last few days and decided to string one of my own. I haven't been playing or doing much lately.

Anyways, I had an old set of strings that came w/ my Ektelon Model D and I'd never used & I've since sold that machine and bought another like it.....That's another story.

I strung my POG 90 with PDP Dura-Chrome. The set says, "Package contains 22' & 11' of L15 Gauge Gut String."

I didn't know how to string with these two lengths and just made it work since I knew I only needed 33' of string. Any thoughts from the experienced classic stringers? It has a green ribbon to it that makes it look like it was made for a POG. I've only string w/ gut now a few times. I wasn't too concerned with quality of job since it was my racquet but midway through I was questioning why I didn't ask before I started.

coachrick 11-22-2012 07:14 PM

The POG 90 might have been a little tougher than something like the Red Head or the PDP Open(for which the string was 'designed', I believe). The idea behind the string pattern was to string all the mains and a half-dozen or so of the bottom crosses with the 22' section, finishing the crosses with the 11' piece. This necessarily put a 'tie-off' in the middle of the crosses...not something most stringers want to try. With the PG 90 pattern, you would have a long end of the mains looping down to the appropriate cross and string up to the top tie-off. Then, start the rest of the crosses in the 'middle' and finish the crosses per normal. Getting the proper tension on that 'middle' cross was the trick.

The reason for the 22' lengths was simple ease of production. It was easier to QC a shorter length of nat gut and 22/11 worked on the early 'conventional' sized rackets.

There was at least one string supplier(70s into the 80s) who shipped their NYLON strings in 22' coils...Winn, I believe. The idea was the 22' coil could be cut to mate with two other 22' coils for two 'full' sets.

These youngsters have it SOOOOO easy these days ;) .

coachrick 11-22-2012 07:23 PM

As I'm picturing the PG 90, I might have tried to string 10 mains with the 11' section and tried a finesse by stringing the two outer mains on one side, top cross and the other two outside mains which would put you back at the top of the face to then finish the crosses like a normal job with the longer piece. Have to hope the football game you have on at the time isn't too interesting :) .

I believe the gut was actually made by American Eagle who also made a similar looking 'Rough' Gut favored by Roscoe Tanner.

Steve Huff 11-22-2012 07:29 PM

You should be able to string the POG 90 with 33' of string. It has a 14 x 18 pattern doesn't it? Give yourself 6' on the short side with the long string. You might have to be a little creative. If you have enough left over with the short side, string the top cross and tie off. If you want to be safe, just start stringing the crosses down from there and tie off to the previous cross. Or, after the last main on the long side, bring the string down to about the 7th cross and string back toward the top. Then, use the short side and do a starting knot where you left off and string toward the bottom.

Coachrick has a good memory. I have a set of Winn string here and it, indeed, is 22 x 11.

coachrick 11-22-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huff (Post 7029542)
You should be able to string the POG 90 with 33' of string. It has a 14 x 18 pattern doesn't it?
Coachrick has a good memory. I have a set of Winn string here and it, indeed, is 22 x 11.

The PG 90 can be strung with a bit less than 30'. I had two highly ranked players using those and they would always be sent sets of string from the sponsors. I had a LOT of 10 foot pieces of string left over with those! It was sure a treat stringing those for the two young ladies. I finished 6 on Christmas Eve one year and dropped them off at their house before they were finished with their errands that day!(One of the girls was headed to Oz the day after Christmas). I reckon that's one reason the girls were clients for over 10 years ;) . Got my biggest ever 'tip' from that family...200 sets of string that wholesaled for ~$6 each. That Japanese string manufacturer was VERY smitten with the tall pretty blonde ranked #2 in the US Juniors at the time. :)

dak95_00 11-22-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7029531)
This necessarily put a 'tie-off' in the middle of the crosses...not something most stringers want to try. With the PG 90 pattern, you would have a long end of the mains looping down to the appropriate cross and string up to the top tie-off. Then, start the rest of the crosses in the 'middle' and finish the crosses per normal. Getting the proper tension on that 'middle' cross was the trick.

This is what I did^^^. I just thought it looked funky but worked. I'll take it out and hit. I've never played with gut strings before. While I was stringing I was thinking to myself, "I should've just sold this set on **** to someone would've really like to have a retro set for an old racquet. Oh well. This is an old racquet too." and back to stringing. I also thought about posting a pic but didn't want to take grief for having knots at the 6th cross from the top on both sides. At least it's symmetrical!

dak95_00 11-22-2012 08:26 PM

I can't even imagine stringing gut in a woodie with shared holes. That would've been just awful w/ those tight patterns.

coachrick 11-22-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 7029577)
This is what I did^^^. I just thought it looked funky but worked. I'll take it out and hit. I've never played with gut strings before. While I was stringing I was thinking to myself, "I should've just sold this set on **** to someone would've really like to have a retro set for an old racquet. Oh well. This is an old racquet too." and back to stringing. I also thought about posting a pic but didn't want to take grief for having knots at the 6th cross from the top on both sides. At least it's symmetrical!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 7029578)
I can't even imagine stringing gut in a woodie with shared holes. That would've been just awful w/ those tight patterns.

Well, you put it in a color-appropriate classic frame...good on ya for taking the chance ;) . I might have tried it in one of my Yonex 'Greenies'...the aluminum 8500 from the 70s. Finding an extra tie-off hole in the right spot is pretty tricky.

And, yeah, nat gut was a bear in the tight patterned, shared holes rackets of the old days. We would usually 'burn out' and/or awl out some of the holes in a wood frame before stringing with gut...even tougher were the Arthur Ashe Comp series sticks. Those had foam in the core and the holes would 'close up' as they were being strung, making shared holes with a soft string a real pain!

Steve Huff 11-23-2012 04:25 AM

And that DuraChrome gut was about the most textured natural gut I've ever seen. PDP sent me some of it when I was using the PDP Open. The throat piece wouldn't stay in place, so they'd send me a new one and include a set or 2 of the Durachrome gut.

gavna 11-23-2012 12:26 PM

Loved the durachrome.........that and africord were awesome playing in events across the gulf coast during the late summers.....I loved the green tint inside my old PDP Fiberstaffs......white/orange and green were so cool

joe sch 11-24-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7030194)
Loved the durachrome.........that and africord were awesome playing in events across the gulf coast during the late summers.....I loved the green tint inside my old PDP Fiberstaffs......white/orange and green were so cool

I got a nice visualization from your description.
I also loved hitting those fiber staffs with natural guts ... so very soft and flexible.

dak95_00 12-01-2012 12:43 PM

YUCK! YUCK! YUCK! I took it out for a hit today and .....'read previously'!

I've never played natural gut in my many, many years of playing tennis. Here was my experience and please let me know if this was just a bad stringing job or because the string was ancient, etc.

First, I hadn't hit for nearly 2 months and went out to play. I wasn't playing great but any mishit shot was very weak. If I didn't hit the sweetspot, it wasn't going anywhere. I wasn't too worried but I switched to another Prince Graphite that I'd strung the same day strung at the same tension by the same person (me) on the same machine. Look! I strung them back-to-back. The other was strung with Topspin Concept Pure - a poly string. It immediately had more pop to my shots and especially on non-sweetspot shots. I went from losing 5-1 to go on to win 7-5. The result isn't and wasn't the concern.

My real question is.... Is natural gut for people that hit the sweetspot only? Is my experience an anomaly? I'm just curious to know if I should give natural gut another go and to try something better or stick w/ what has become my favorite string....has nothing to do with today's experience but the fact that I just play that string nicely and it seems to last a very long time for me.

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience and advice.

coachrick 12-01-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 7041664)

I've never played natural gut in my many, many years of playing tennis. Here was my experience and please let me know if this was just a bad stringing job or because the string was ancient, etc.

First, I hadn't hit for nearly 2 months and went out to play. I wasn't playing great but any mishit shot was very weak. If I didn't hit the sweetspot, it wasn't going anywhere. I wasn't too worried but I switched to another Prince Graphite that I'd strung the same day strung at the same tension by the same person (me) on the same machine. Look! I strung them back-to-back. The other was strung with Topspin Concept Pure - a poly string. It immediately had more pop to my shots and especially on non-sweetspot shots. I went from losing 5-1 to go on to win 7-5. The result isn't and wasn't the concern.

My real question is.... Is natural gut for people that hit the sweetspot only? Is my experience an anomaly? I'm just curious to know if I should give natural gut another go and to try something better or stick w/ what has become my favorite string....has nothing to do with today's experience but the fact that I just play that string nicely and it seems to last a very long time for me.

Oops! Sometime zee ball go in...sometime zee ball go out! :)

Actually, Durachrome wasn't the liveliest gut in the world, but it still should feel pretty good. Really, no matter the tension you used, it should be pretty lively and darned near crisp @ 55 or above(unless you were hitting on wet clay or in super humid conditions). It may be that it just isn't the right string for you. Gut isn't for everybody, but nat gut in a PG 90 should feel pretty nice. It's possible that the tie-off in the center created a pocket that just feels better than the rest of the string bed; but even off-center hits shouldn't be all that bad(unless you strung it over 65 or so).

It's also possible the string absorbed moisture over the decades and is just dead compared to a fresh set. That would surprise me since a really dead set of gut has a noticeably 'rope-y' feel to it when stringing.'

Sorry 'bout that. :(

joe sch 12-01-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 7041664)

Consider yourself lucky !
You don't like natural gut so you will not need to spend the 2x+ for the advantage of gut. Many players also can't tell the difference between many of the sun guts and poly strings and so can save even more just using a cheap sun gut. I loved natural gut the first time I tried it in a wood racket as a junior. Fortunately, I like small head tight pattern rackets (18x20) so the natural gut last pretty long for me.

gavna 12-02-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7041761)
Oops! Sometime zee ball go in...sometime zee ball go out! :)

Actually, Durachrome wasn't the liveliest gut in the world, but it still should feel pretty good. Really, no matter the tension you used, it should be pretty lively and darned near crisp @ 55 or above(unless you were hitting on wet clay or in super humid conditions). It may be that it just isn't the right string for you. Gut isn't for everybody, but nat gut in a PG 90 should feel pretty nice. It's possible that the tie-off in the center created a pocket that just feels better than the rest of the string bed; but even off-center hits shouldn't be all that bad(unless you strung it over 65 or so).

It's also possible the string absorbed moisture over the decades and is just dead compared to a fresh set. That would surprise me since a really dead set of gut has a noticeably 'rope-y' feel to it when stringing.'

Sorry 'bout that. :(

Yeah in truth you have 35 yr old gut - those packages are not airtight and moisture does seep into the package as well. Add to that 15L gauge I'm not surprised at all it's dead......stuff must play like wet pasta........on the old stuff I have (Victor Imperial and wonderful textured VS) I just hand string it (no tension) in my sticks from the 70s collection and put'em up on the wall to look at.