Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nike Reissue: McEnroe Challenge Court Mid (not Skate version) PICS (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446423)

MAXXply 11-23-2012 01:10 AM

Nike Reissue: McEnroe Challenge Court Mid (not Skate version) PICS

For those of us of a certain age, this shoe brings back lots of memories. IMO it still looks superb from any angle. Wished they reissued the grey one too with the signature socks to match.
Did anyone here grab a pair of these when they were released a couple of months ago? How do they fit in terms of sizing? Tight? Long? Any tips helpful cheers.

robbo1970 11-23-2012 06:37 AM

I tried some on recently and whilst they are a fantastic heritage shoe, unfortunately I think my legs would crumble if I wore them to play.

But they are a good fit. Seemed true to size for me. I am a UK 8 and they were spot on. Unlike modern Nike tennis shoes where I a half size bigger.

Have you seen the re-issue Nike Tennis Classic (Wimbledon) too, not the re-vamped modern ones? Great off-court shoes.

MAXXply 11-23-2012 07:12 AM

^ Bugger I pulled the online trigger on a sz10, thinking they'd run small. We shall soon see.
Yes I've seen the Classic. I'd like Nike to offer the Bruin Low in the same sky blue Swoosh as worn by Mac in his earliest Nike years. The current Bruins seem to offer every colourway but that original one.

robbo1970 11-23-2012 07:42 AM

The classic Bruin had a red stripe as per Marty McFly in Back to the Future. It was the Wimbledon (now called the Tennis Classic that Mac wore with the light blue swoosh)

I have seen them in the UK, same shop as I saw the Challenges.

MAXXply 11-23-2012 07:52 AM

^ I sometimes wonder whether Nike's branding nous and shoe nomenclature extended as far back as Mac's debut in '77. Like, did Nike even have a Tennis Division back then? Was the model as worn by Mac from 77-81 really marketed at the time as the "Wimbledon"? I thought they only thought that up in the late 80s when they released all those garment leathery ones (with purple/green checkerboard motif tongues etc) to compete with Reebok at the time. I just thought Nike tossed Mac a pair of lowcut basketball shoes and said, "there you go".

Who are the retailers you shop at? On the High St? I must check them out :-)

robbo1970 11-23-2012 07:58 AM

'Offspring' is one shop, 'Sole' is another.

I first saw the Bruin, Wimbledon, Diadora Elite and Stan Smith in 1981. But I know they were around a year or so before with the Casuals movement. I got my Nastase's in 1984, the Lendl shoes were also around then.

I think the Nike shoes became popular because of McEnroe, although I think Vitas wore them as well in 1977. I don't recall seeing McEnroe in them until 1979/80.

If you look pre-1978 the common shoe is still the Stan Smith (Borg wore them before Diadora) or a leather/canvas hybrid.

gavna 11-23-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7029891)
^ I sometimes wonder whether Nike's branding nous and shoe nomenclature extended as far back as Mac's debut in '77. Like, did Nike even have a Tennis Division back then? Was the model as worn by Mac from 77-81 really marketed at the time as the "Wimbledon"? I thought they only thought that up in the late 80s when they released all those garment leathery ones (with purple/green checkerboard motif tongues etc) to compete with Reebok at the time. I just thought Nike tossed Mac a pair of lowcut basketball shoes and said, "there you go".

Who are the retailers you shop at? On the High St? I must check them out :-)

No the Nike Wimbledon was out as far back as 1974 - 1975 - I had my first pair in late 1975 after I got some at the US Open that fall. Jimbo wore them as well from 1974 thru the late 70s before he went to Converse. In fact if you look at old pics or videos of Connors and others from the mid 70s you can see the all white and then the white and light blue Wimbledons all over the place.

The Wimbledon was Nike first tennis specifc shoe and was based on the adidas Halliet/Smith shoe.

JMac was not the first nor biggest star to tote them, Vitas, Connors.......very common shoe in the mid to late 70s - checkout pics of the 75 Connors/Ashe Wimby final - Connors clearly has the Nikes on.

robbo1970 11-23-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7030155)
No the Nike Wimbledon was out as far back as 1974 - 1975 - I had my first pair in late 1975 after I got some at the US Open that fall. Jimbo wore them as well from 1974 thru the late 70s before he went to Converse. In fact if you look at old pics or videos of Connors and others from the mid 70s you can see the all white and then the white and light blue Wimbledons all over the place.

The Wimbledon was Nike first tennis specifc shoe and was based on the adidas Halliet/Smith shoe.

JMac was not the first nor biggest star to tote them, Vitas, Connors.......very common shoe in the mid to late 70s - checkout pics of the 75 Connors/Ashe Wimby final - Connors clearly has the Nikes on.

Nice info mate. I have a feeling Pam Shriver wore them too. Lovely looking shoe. They have them re-released here in the original design and in the slightly lower early 80's design but with a bright red swoosh....I seriously have my eye on them :)

Borrelli 11-23-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7029859)
^ Bugger I pulled the online trigger on a sz10, thinking they'd run small. We shall soon see.
Yes I've seen the Classic. I'd like Nike to offer the Bruin Low in the same sky blue Swoosh as worn by Mac in his earliest Nike years. The current Bruins seem to offer every colourway but that original one.

I got the SB version as I prefer that colorway to the original. They do run a half size small just like all Nike running shoes (I know, they're trainers). They're still available if you do a little research.

In Europe they recently released a tennis classic in white leather with the light blue swoosh, really nice but sold out in my size :cry:

Borrelli 11-23-2012 05:06 PM

Crap, now you got me spending money! Just bought a pair in that white/navy colorway heavily discounted after seeing this thread.

Like I need another pair of shoes.

MAXXply 11-23-2012 05:17 PM

^^ LOL bugger that probably means one less shoe to exchange with if my sz10 is too big! :-) What size did you cop? Admittedly I'd given up trying to find it in my size(s) until stumbling online. I better keep my mouth shut now :-)

Robbo1970, didn't Andrea Jaeger wear something like Shriver also?

Borrelli 11-23-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7030454)
^^ LOL bugger that probably means one less shoe to exchange with if my sz10 is too big! :-) What size did you cop? Admittedly I'd given up trying to find it in my size(s) until stumbling online. I better keep my mouth shut now :-)

Robbo1970, didn't Andrea Jaeger wear something like Shriver also?

I'm a 10 in these and all other Nike running shoes. My usual size is 9.5 in most other brands and with a few nike shoes.

MAXXply 11-23-2012 06:11 PM

^ No doubt you'll receive them before I do. Let us know how they fit.

Borrelli 11-23-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7030488)
^ No doubt you'll receive them before I do. Let us know how they fit.

Already have a pair of the skateboard version and the 10 is perfect. Mid's usually aren't my favorite but these are surprisingly comfortable.

Fedfer 11-24-2012 12:26 AM

About the Nike tennis classic, three years ago I got these ones..and they are really beautiful

gavna 11-25-2012 08:03 AM

I bought a pair of those 3 weeks ago in Italy!!!!! Nike Vintage AC Tennis!!!! Exact same as the original ones from 1974 - 1982 with the Lt Blue swoosh and the retro box.

Just starting to see them online (Europe Only) now as well.

GS 11-25-2012 08:30 AM

Nike was supposed to re-issue those mid-cut Air Zoom Tennis Trainers last month, but, nope, they didn't. Now I have to settle for expensive 4.3 Ballistecs....

Borrelli 11-25-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS (Post 7031948)
Nike was supposed to re-issue those mid-cut Air Zoom Tennis Trainers last month, but, nope, they didn't. Now I have to settle for expensive 4.3 Ballistecs....

They just re-issued the original air trainer 1 that mac used to wear.

GS 11-25-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borrelli (Post 7032095)
They just re-issued the original air trainer 1 that mac used to wear.

Can you post a link here about these shoes? I can't find any info anywhere.
Thanks in advance.

GS 11-25-2012 11:03 AM

Sorry, I just found em.