Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   TW Review: Babolat AeroPro Drive 2013 racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446440)

TW Staff 11-23-2012 11:28 AM

TW Review: Babolat AeroPro Drive 2013 racquets

Here are the full reviews.

AeroPro Drive: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Revi...D13Review.html

AeroProDrive Plus: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Revi...P13Review.html

grimmbomb21 11-23-2012 11:50 AM

Just ordered mine.

Francis27 11-23-2012 12:01 PM

great review TW!!! the videos are great!

ollinger 11-23-2012 12:14 PM

If you build it black, they will come.

mykoh 11-23-2012 12:18 PM

great reviews. 88 for the APDC is just an insane score. i just can't get past Andy's moustache. oh and slow-mo dolly thing is really cool.

Francis27 11-23-2012 12:18 PM

TW how does this aerorpo drive 2013 compare to the pure drive 2012?

jayserinos99 11-23-2012 12:23 PM

I ordered mine today, can't wait to get them in!

mad dog1 11-23-2012 12:50 PM

this new aeropro drive is a nice stick. retains all the good characteristics of the previous versions (APDC and APDC GT) and improves on the negative (comfort). super easy to hit groundstrokes w/ pace, heaviness, and spin. just easy power. especially on serves. this thing drops bombs. it's still stiffer than i like my sticks, but certainly the best apdc to date IMO.

tistrapukcipeht 11-23-2012 01:00 PM

Already overrated !!!

Mighty Matteo 11-23-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tistrapukcipeht (Post 7030170)
Already overrated !!!

Agreed. I prefer the older version and I hit with the 2013 version for a 20 hour playtest. I'm a 5.0 player and I feel as if I get more feel out of the old racquet. But, it definitely comes down to if you prefer the feel of the new racquet to the feel of the old racquet. It's is still a phenomenal racquet that everyone should at least demo.

Ross K 11-23-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Matteo (Post 7030175)
Agreed. I prefer the older version and I hit with the 2013 version for a 20 hour playtest. I'm a 5.0 player and I feel as if I get more feel out of the old racquet. But, it definitely comes down to if you prefer the feel of the new racquet to the feel of the old racquet. It's is still a phenomenal racquet that everyone should at least demo.

When you say you prefer the feel of the old racquet - which exact past version are you referring to? Thanks

Xonemains 11-23-2012 03:03 PM

first time the comfort level rating is right.

its quite hard on the arms if you hit more than 15 hours/week.

Roforot 11-23-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tistrapukcipeht (Post 7030170)
Already overrated !!!

Overall I agree w/ their review, but the one area I disagree is on serves. This frame doesn't have a lot of pop or free spin compared to the 2012 PDR on my initial hit.

After struggling a bit to get a good feel for groundstrokes, I now find it is made for hitting high loopy balls on groundstrokes. I don't know if anyone has suggestions for adjusting the serve? Even my topspin serves seem to just sit up rather than kick.

mad dog1 11-23-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roforot (Post 7030310)
Overall I agree w/ their review, but the one area I disagree is on serves. This frame doesn't have a lot of pop or free spin compared to the 2012 PDR on my initial hit.

After struggling a bit to get a good feel for groundstrokes, I now find it is made for hitting high loopy balls on groundstrokes. I don't know if anyone has suggestions for adjusting the serve? Even my topspin serves seem to just sit up rather than kick.

Maybe it's cuz the TW playtesters in this playtest are generally using lower powered players sticks so compared to those, the APDC is more powerful.

chay337 11-23-2012 03:28 PM

Does it use the same grommets as pre 2013s versions?

quest01 11-23-2012 05:16 PM

Ive been an aero pro drive user for years, definitely looking forward to this.

travlerajm 11-23-2012 06:24 PM

deleted post

travlerajm 11-23-2012 06:24 PM

I am one of the volunteer playtesters for this racquet. I haven't posted my review in the official playtest review thread yet. But I've hit with it a few times, so I'll chime in.

Brief Summary: It's a stiff tweener that's stable for it's weight, but can really use a bit of extra mass in the head. Seems stiffer than the older versions, and very similar to a PD (I was going to guess 69 RA, so I guessed right). So anyone who enjoys a stock PD will like it. I thought it really came alive and had a much more arm-friendly and solid feel and hit a heavier, more controlled ball when I leaded it up with about 12g in the upper hoop and a few grams in the butt (i.e., the Nadal configuration).

It's too light in stock form for me personally and was not balanced to my liking for my forehand, but it would be a solid choice as a customization platform.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with the frame but 88 overall score? Come on. I think it's time for a score recalibration. What will they do when a truly great perfectly balanced frame comes along?

On a side note, the frame I demo'd had a 325 SW, considerably higher than the 316 listed. I probably would have liked the stock balance better had mine had the same specs as the TW official specs. Also, my demo was 26.9" and not 27", but since I don't plan on restringing it, I can't tell if 26.9" is the relaxed length or if it's due to a squashing stringjob.

Roforot 11-23-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad dog1 (Post 7030323)
Maybe it's cuz the TW playtesters in this playtest are generally using lower powered players sticks so compared to those, the APDC is more powerful.

Well by looking at their comments, there are a lot of comparisons to the Pure Drive. I didn't hit w/ the regular version of the Pure Drive so I can't say how much power it has but the 2012 PDR weights a half ounce more and immediately/obviously gives help w/ the serve.

Again, I'm open to suggestions if there's a different technique or approach to serving w/ the Aeropro.

MAXXply 11-23-2012 06:36 PM

Slightly off-topic, but are the outdoor courts which are the venue for this video review also located in San Luis Obispo? The suburban park backdrop looks nice with the mountains in the background. It was kinda Pleasantville meets Wisteria Lane in Desperate Housewives.