Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Money being no object (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446450)

Centerforward71 11-23-2012 02:41 PM

Money being no object

Ok here we go... Money is no object and here is what I want from my strings.

1. As much spin as can be had.
2. Average power is ok I don't need rocket launcher, that said I won't want a bed that's feels dead.
3. Control I feel will be solved by number 1 for me, so if I can get plenty of spin then control should follow unless deflection becomes inconsistent from stringed.
4. Durability for me is 4-6 hours of consistent play I don't care for more. My jaw drops when I see guys here looking for 30 hour strings !!!
5. Feedback. Yes a string that gives me feedback of the stroke. Perhaps this can be encompassed with pocketing.
6. Hybrids are ok but tell me why it gives me above.

My play level is below. I have fast swing speeds so the above needs to fit that.

I will tell you that so far the only thing coming close,is low tension poly meaning mid 30s. I've tried about 6 gut hybrid setups and so far garbage. No full bed gut yet and nothing tighter than 56 on the gut as main. Used pacific, performaxx and mamba. Not impressed with any so far and actually the best performance was the cheapest of the three although its manufacturing was not great.

Oh yes and what tension and why that tension ?

I am all ears.

3fees 11-23-2012 02:59 PM

Lux Alu Power/ Babolat VS Touch

or

the most popular trending now:

Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 ----Polyester string which achieves greater durability, now used by the world's top players. It provides a comfortable feeling, suppressing shoulder and elbow fatigue

or little less popular

Yonex Poly Tour Spin 1.25( a maverick on spin)

Yonex does not break the piggy bank..

:mrgreen:

I have a hybrid strung up and am testing it,,I'll write a review on this later,,,its synthetic gut mains/Lux ALU Power rough crosses ,tension is 55/51,,

Centerforward71 11-23-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 7030356)
Lux Alu Power/ Babolat VS Touch

or

the most popular trending now:

Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 ----Polyester string which achieves greater durability, now used by the world's top players. It provides a comfortable feeling, suppressing shoulder and elbow fatigue

or little less popular

Yonex Poly Tour Spin 1.25

Yonex does not break the piggy bank..

:mrgreen:

I have a hybrid strung up and am testing it,,I'll write a review on this later,,,its synthetic gut mains/Lux ALU Power rough ,tension is 55/51,,

VS touch main or cross ?

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-23-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerforward71 (Post 7030360)
VS touch main or cross ?

Mains, always put gut in the mains.

Putting gut in the crosses is the same as putting syn-gut/multi's in the crosses, except it'll cost you bank.

Centerforward71 11-23-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7030372)
Mains, always put gut in the mains.

Putting gut in the crosses is the same as putting syn-gut/multi's in the crosses, except it'll cost you bank.

I know that but was asking what he meant and why. I have alotttt of string experience. I string for about 15 good players plus myself so I'm aware of your point.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-23-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerforward71 (Post 7030375)
I know that but was asking what he meant and why. I have alotttt of string experience. I string for about 15 good players plus myself so I'm aware of your point.

Because the smooth surface of polyesters act as rails for the gut to glide across. And some say the "oil" of gut further allows the gut to glide smoothly across the polyester crosses. I don't know how much of that "oil" really seeps out of gut (if any!), so that's up for debate.

But the main point here is, smooth polys help gut mains to move about and snap around.

Torres 11-23-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 7030356)
Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 ----Polyester string which achieves greater durability, now used by the world's top players.

What relevance does that have?

Power Player 11-23-2012 04:00 PM

Full alu power all day long.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-23-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7030387)
What relevance does that have?

How is it not relevant? I mean, it's really the only factor going into a purchase. If it's endorsed by the pros, it must be the greatest thing ever and one can expect similar results.

parasailing 11-23-2012 04:30 PM

Babolat VS/Wilson/Prince natural gut mains with Ltec 4S cross - best combo of both worlds and most expensive hybrid setup out there.

TimothyO 11-23-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7030413)
Babolat VS/Wilson/Prince natural gut mains with Ltec 4S cross - best combo of both worlds and most expensive hybrid setup out there.

Any updates on 4S tension loss or durability?

Very tempted by 4S but reluctant to stray now from 4G crosses...they provide so much darn control. Even bought a Pure Storm GT to give it a try with VS/4G (only $80 now).

pvaudio 11-23-2012 06:39 PM

Full bed of Solinco Tour Bite 16L, 45lbs.

parasailing 11-23-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7030473)

Very tempted by 4S but reluctant to stray now from 4G crosses...they provide so much darn control. Even bought a Pure Storm GT to give it a try with VS/4G (only $80 now).

I haven't tried 4G as a cross to natural gut but in a full bed, I didn't find the string all that impressive.

Ltec 4S has the best tension maintenance of all the polys I have tried including Signum Pro Poly Plasma which I had as the top poly for tension maintenance.

Maybe when I get around to using 4G as a cross but rainy season has arrived so I won't be doing any more VS hybrid setups until late spring. Now it's time to switch over to multis.

NLBwell 11-23-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

$80 for the racket or the strings? :-)

sundaypunch 11-23-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7030406)
How is it not relevant? I mean, it's really the only factor going into a purchase. If it's endorsed by the pros, it must be the greatest thing ever and one can expect similar results.

If it were only rated #1 by RSI, now that would be impressive.

Centerforward71 11-23-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7030500)
Full bed of Solinco Tour Bite 16L, 45lbs.

Using that now strung at 42 playing at 38 and it's really nice but I've had better,but close.

Centerforward71 11-23-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

How much better is VS gut or Wilson over say pacific tough gut or prime. Explain other than because, why it's better. So far I am very unimpressed with the gut/poly hybrids.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-23-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerforward71 (Post 7030520)
How much better is VS gut or Wilson over say pacific tough gut or prime. Explain other than because, why it's better. So far I am very unimpressed with the gut/poly hybrids.

Some people just don't like certain setup, I don't think it's a bad thing and certainly don't need to be "convinced" to like it.

I, for one, don't care much for a full bed of gut.

Centerforward71 11-23-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7030539)
Some people just don't like certain setup, I don't think it's a bad thing and certainly don't need to be "convinced" to like it.

I, for one, don't care much for a full bed of gut.

Ah!!! Sorry but don't know what you're answering ??

JDMasFCK 11-23-2012 08:14 PM

Tour Bite 17G 45LBS