Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Staying in Shape on One Leg? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446457)

TripleB 11-23-2012 04:36 PM

Staying in Shape on One Leg?

I'm having Microfracture Surgery next Monday to hopefully create new cartilage in my left knee.

I've go to be completely off my left leg for at least six weeks and can't run for three months after that (and tennis isn't an option until two more months after that).

So what advice/exercises do you have for me to try and stay in some kind of shape during this time?

Doc says I'll definitely lose muscle mass in my left leg but I've gotta do something to keep from gaining too much weight during this time.

Thanks for all helpful responses.

TripleB

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-23-2012 04:52 PM

There is an endless list of upper body stuff you can do.

Also, how soon can you get into pool? You can swim without using much of your legs.

SystemicAnomaly 11-24-2012 04:29 AM

This would be a good opportunity to work on your shoulders (thrower's 10 and other exercises), abs, lower back, hips and other parts of your upper body. Some physical therapists and fitness clubs have a cardio "cycling" machine that uses your arms/shoulders rather than your legs. If you don't have access to something like this you might try various types of arms swings and cycling motions with moderate or lightweight dumbbells. You can execute some of these while executing a twisting motion of the upper body (at the waist).

Would you be allowed to perform some leg exercises that do not require much, if any, knee bending or impact the knee joints? Perhaps you could work on the muscles of your calves, shins and feet with exercises like toe-raisers. Probably be a good idea to work on your hip flexors as well.

You might want to buy (or see if you can gain access to) a neuromuscular electrical stimulator (aka electromyostimulator). These types of devices apply small electrical impulses to the muscles via electrodes. This category of devices includes EMS, TENS and MENS. An EMS device is probably the most applicable of these for your needs. This can possibly be used on your quads (and maybe for your hamstrings) to prevent atrophy and might even be useful for strength training in those muscle groups. I believe that Bruce Lee may have used something like back in the day (circa 1970) to promote muscle strength and definition (and/or he may have used it for rehab for a serious injury).

TripleB 11-24-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7030433)
Also, how soon can you get into pool? You can swim without using much of your legs.

He didn't say and I failed to ask him about it. Unfortunately I don't have access to a pool. Excellent idea though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7030734)
This would be a good opportunity to work on your shoulders (thrower's 10 and other exercises), abs, lower back, hips and other parts of your upper body. If you don't have access to something like this you might try various types of arms swings and cycling motions with moderate or lightweight dumbbells.

Would you be allowed to perform some leg exercises that do not require much, if any, knee bending or impact the knee joints? Perhaps you could work on the muscles of your calves, shins and feet with exercises like toe-raisers. Probably be a good idea to work on your hip flexors as well.

Yea, I think working on my shoulders would be a great idea...maybe it will help me get my serve over 50 mph when I return to the game :)

The only thing he said I could do for sure on my left leg was use a Knee CPM machine to keep it moving some. Other than that he said all weight off of it for 6 weeks.

The only thing I really have convenient access to is dumbbells from 5 to 40 pounds.

I definitely need to work my hips...currently having pain in the left one. Not sure if it's from not using that leg much over the past 5 weeks or from the popping in it that typically occurs when I pull my knee towards my chest and then extend it back out.

If possible, I would like to work on some stretches to increase flexability - my lack of flexability is something my doc fusses at me for every year when I'm getting my physical.

I appreciate all the help.

TripleB

charliefedererer 11-24-2012 09:44 AM

The site "XL Athlete" has all types of exercises for every area of the body.

Most find that with multiple joint exercises like the squat and deadlift that they don't need to do many of the exercises on this site.
But since you obviously won't be able to do squats, deadlifts, lunges and other "common" exercises, you may want to look at some of the many other exercises listed, particularly for the "core" and "single leg training".
Hopefully you will find some "new" exercises for yourself that can keep you in relatively good shape until you can return to your usual routine.
XL Athlete Exercises: http://www.xlathlete.com/browse_admin.jsp?browse_kind=2

2ndServe 11-24-2012 06:31 PM

Let us know down the road how you feel about this type of surgery. I might be in need of something like this in 5+ years.

esgee48 11-24-2012 08:30 PM

Ask your doc or hospital to recommend a physical therapist. When you get that person, ask about allowable exercises. We're not really qualified to tell you anything.

SystemicAnomaly 11-27-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleB (Post 7030798)
... The only thing he said I could do for sure on my left leg was use a Knee CPM machine to keep it moving some. Other than that he said all weight off of it for 6 weeks...

Will you be seeing a physical therapist that will get you access to CPM device for your knee? If you do see a PT, you might ask about a professional (prescription) EMS device for working your quads -- this can be used to prevent atrophy as well as for some actual muscle development. Not sure if you could also use an EMS device for your hamstrings -- it might cause some involuntary actions of the knee. You might ask about that as well.

You might be able to perform some seated exercises to work your shin and calf muscles. You might be able to perform a number of repetitions of these with light resistance or no resistance at all -- just flex and extent the foot thru a full range of motion (repeatedly).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7030734)
... You might want to buy (or see if you can gain access to) a neuromuscular electrical stimulator (aka electromyostimulator). These types of devices apply small electrical impulses to the muscles via electrodes. This category of devices includes EMS, TENS and MENS. An EMS device is probably the most applicable of these for your needs. This can possibly be used on your quads (and maybe for your hamstrings) to prevent atrophy and might even be useful for strength training in those muscle groups. I believe that Bruce Lee may have used something like back in the day (circa 1970) to promote muscle strength and definition (and/or he may have used it for rehab for a serious injury).

Has anyone here used a professional EMS device with a PT?

How about an OTC EMS device? I believe that some of the ab toning belts out there may not be as effective as the manufacturers would have you believe. I'm wondering if anyone has used an OTC device that produced some real toning or muscle-building results.

I am aware that some TENS and EMS devices can produce some currents (patterns) that are rather uncomfortable. I have seen some claims that devices that use compensated biphasic square currents are much more comfortable/bearable. Any intelligent feedback would be appreciated.

Brian72 12-01-2012 12:42 PM

Doing core work can really strengthen the upper leg and hip region as well. One of the simplest I've experienced is Ab Ripper X from the P90X series. 16 min long. Your hips will love you. Yoga is another one. I find videos are convenient for me. A lot of people like going to the gym. I've worked in office environments and I've been self employed. Doing something as simple as push-ups every 45 to 60 min through out the day will do wonders. Or doing plank work for a minute or 2 every hour. Over a period of 4 months of just doing push ups and planks my shoulders, back, pecs and abs never looked so good. And that was just taking a couple of minutes every hour.

People don't realize how easily exercise can be integrated into a day. I also like the Insanity series. I know you only have one healthy leg, and there are a couple of vids in the series that don't require plyometrics and work predominately on core and flexibility.

Best of luck.