Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Running Forehand vs Squash Shot (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446464)

crazygamer2091 11-23-2012 06:46 PM

Running Forehand vs Squash Shot

Over the summer whenever someone pulled a ball out wide to my forehand that caused some trouble for me, I would resort to a sliding squash shot. Recently, I found myself to be hitting more running forehands and now have completely forgot how to hit a squash shot.

What do you guys think is a more beneficial shot to use. A squash shot will buy you more time when you are on the defensive because it is more like a flat slice and you can stretch out more to reach it. A running forehand on the other hand gives more variety but chances are the ball will come back if you do not hit a straight out winner. In addition, the ball must be reachable to hit it.

Thoughts? Pros and cons of each shot?

Cheetah 11-23-2012 08:13 PM

They are not comparable. Different situations with different purposes.

It's like asking "Which do you think is more beneficial to use.. a backhand or a forehand?"

crazygamer2091 11-23-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7030549)
They are not comparable. Different situations with different purposes.

It's like asking "Which do you think is more beneficial to use.. a backhand or a forehand?"

Then could you elaborate about each shot, situations to use them and and purposes?

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-23-2012 08:46 PM

It depends on what I'm dealing with, who I'm playing (aggressive net-bumrusher, or baseliner with netphobia), etc.

But if you ask me to pick one, running forehand, and try to hit a winner. Because chances are I've given away the court so even if squash it back, I'm either going to be pulled to another corner or lost the point on the next ball.

Though if I'm still inside the double's alley, I'll probably squash it back because I can still recover and I haven't given away the court (as much). If I'm at or beyond the double's alley, I'll take advantage of the angle and try to go for a winner (IF I can get there with enough time).

But again, too many factors to consider.

Cheetah 11-23-2012 08:46 PM

glad you asked a follow up. that was my intention hehe.

squash shot is a last ditch effort shot. used when that's the only way you can get the racquet on the ball. totally stretched out. no other shot is possible. or can be used when you are a little bit lazy or winded from being pulled on a string for a few shots.

running forehand is used when on a dead run and you have time to hit an aggressive shot either 3/4 angle or dtl. you have time to transfer weight into the shot maybe some angular momentum etc.
running forehands can be very powerful.

they are different situations. if you are using a squash shot when you could be using a running fh then you are lazy, winded, have poor footwork or need more understanding of the game.

IMHO

OHBH 11-23-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazygamer2091 (Post 7030560)
Then could you elaborate about each shot, situations to use them and and purposes?

Well if you can get to the ball in time hit a running forehand. If your opponent is at the net hit a running forehand or lob. Squash shot is for when it is the only way you can get the ball back or the opponent is hanging back near the baseline instead of attacking like they should, in which case you can buy time and hopefully restart the point.

Of course this is generally speaking and will certainly vary but you should be able to figure it out.

Greg G 11-23-2012 09:30 PM

Would it be correct to say that for a squash shot you are moving/running/sliding diagonally backwards and have no other option but to hit a squash shot?

tlm 11-24-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7030576)
glad you asked a follow up. that was my intention hehe.

squash shot is a last ditch effort shot. used when that's the only way you can get the racquet on the ball. totally stretched out. no other shot is possible. or can be used when you are a little bit lazy or winded from being pulled on a string for a few shots.

running forehand is used when on a dead run and you have time to hit an aggressive shot either 3/4 angle or dtl. you have time to transfer weight into the shot maybe some angular momentum etc.
running forehands can be very powerful.

they are different situations. if you are using a squash shot when you could be using a running fh then you are lazy, winded, have poor footwork or need more understanding of the game.

IMHO

I don't agree with your last paragraph, just because you use a squash shot instead of a running forehand even though you had time to hit either does not necessarily mean any of your examples are true.

A running forehand that pulls you out of position and becomes a do or die shot depending on the situation can be a foolish choice. The squash shot makes it so much easier to recover and restart the point.

The squash shot can be a very effective shot, there are times I use it in a neutral top spin rally just to change the pace and throw my opponent off. But in most cases it is used because your opponent has made a good shot that has pulled you out of position, and it is a lot higher % shot than trying to hit the running forehand. Like the saying goes consistent tennis wins.

dominikk1985 11-24-2012 07:15 AM

chipping back is an emergency shot. you always want to return with topspin if possible.

andy murray uses it a lot though but he is a pusher:).

tlm 11-24-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7030853)
chipping back is an emergency shot. you always want to return with topspin if possible.

andy murray uses it a lot though but he is a pusher:).

Ya right the guy that won the US open and olympic gold metal is a pusher and the rest of us here are far superior so we should go for the top spin shot.

dominikk1985 11-24-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7030873)
Ya right the guy that won the US open and olympic gold metal is a pusher and the rest of us here are far superior so we should go for the top spin shot.

that was a joke...

Cheetah 11-24-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7030842)
I don't agree with your last paragraph, just because you use a squash shot instead of a running forehand even though you had time to hit either does not necessarily mean any of your examples are true.

A running forehand that pulls you out of position and becomes a do or die shot depending on the situation can be a foolish choice. The squash shot makes it so much easier to recover and restart the point.

The squash shot can be a very effective shot, there are times I use it in a neutral top spin rally just to change the pace and throw my opponent off. But in most cases it is used because your opponent has made a good shot that has pulled you out of position, and it is a lot higher % shot than trying to hit the running forehand. Like the saying goes consistent tennis wins.

Do or die.. isn't that the same as 'last ditch effort'? what's the difference?

If you are hitting a squash shot to change it up then you are hitting a slice, not a squash shot.

They are different shots for different situations.

tlm 11-24-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7031064)
Do or die.. isn't that the same as 'last ditch effort'? what's the difference?

If you are hitting a squash shot to change it up then you are hitting a slice, not a squash shot.

They are different shots for different situations.

Do or die is just that you make a great running forehand or lose the point. As opposed to hitting a squash shot that is not as offensive but lets you recover and stay in the point, huge difference.

SStrikerR 11-25-2012 11:23 AM

Yeah there shouldn't be a choice. Unless you have some strategical purpose for it, you should only be hitting a squash shot when a normal forehand isnt even possible.

Magnetite 11-25-2012 11:31 AM

Squash shot is generally used for shots u can barely get to, when you are on the extreme stretch ..

Running forehands are used when you are able to get to the ball a little easier.

They really aren't comparable.

vil 11-25-2012 01:10 PM

If you were only watching tennis in TV, you wouldn't be asking this question.

crazygamer2091 11-25-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vil (Post 7032279)
If you were only watching tennis in TV, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Would you like me to apologize for asking a question?

boramiNYC 11-25-2012 06:21 PM

I always thought a squash shot was an emergency shot. this is a different from forehand slice which could be a part of regular fh options for rec players. I rarely see this among pros. squash shot is mostly wrist shot in full extension. not a good habit for a regular shot. running fh otoh can be a regular shot. so you sound to be on the right track.

KineticChain 11-25-2012 06:55 PM

I think hitting a forehand on the run is always the better choice when you are able to. It can be an offensive shot, especially when pulled out wide... you get a bigger angle to attack with. If the ball is too far out of your strike zone, the squash shot is really your only option. Its difficult to make it an offensive shot because of the backspin lifting the ball up... you can only hit it so hard before it goes out

Rob1 11-26-2012 02:35 PM

I find hitting a cross court slice on the run can be equally an
offensive shot as you got your opponent by surprise.