Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Novak vs Aggassi (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446470)

tennisbuck 11-23-2012 09:31 PM

Novak vs Aggassi

Would Nole at his prime beat aggassi at his prime?

NadalAgassi 11-23-2012 10:08 PM

Honestly I think they would be evenly matched on all surfaces. Their order of surface preference is roughly the same. Slow hard courts/Australian hard courts especialy > Fast outdoor hard courts > Indoor or Carpet courts > Clay Courts > Grass Courts. Prime to prime it would be a real battle, but Djokovic has many more prime years than Agassi had already.

Ripster 11-23-2012 10:11 PM

My two favourite players. Both have very similar games, and are equally strong off both wings. Australian would be too tough to call as they both excel there. French I would actually give to Novak despite Agassi having bagged one (I expect Djokovic to have at least one before his career his over). Wimbledon I'd give to Andre and US Open again would be a toss up.

Man, these two are similar the more I think about it.

NadalAgassi 11-23-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripster (Post 7030612)
My two favourite players. Both have very similar games, and are equally strong off both wings. Australian would be too tough to call as they both excel there. French I would actually give to Novak despite Agassi having bagged one (I expect Djokovic to have at least one before his career his over). Wimbledon I'd give to Andre and US Open again would be toss up.

Man, these two are similar the more I think about it.

They are similar but Agassi is still more explosive and potent off the ground, while Novak's court coverage and overall defense is in a way higher league than Agassi's. Other than that they are very similar though, especialy the way they time the ball, return serve, feed off pace, change direction, are so accurate.

Ripster 11-23-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7030614)
They are similar but Agassi is still more explosive and potent off the ground, while Novak's court coverage and overall defense is in a way higher league than Agassi's. Other than that they are very similar though, especialy the way they time the ball, return serve, feed off pace, change direction, are so accurate.

Both are in the conversation for best returner of all time with Connors and maybe Hewitt as well. Agassi's return being more lethal but Djokovic of course is able to get more returns in play... which is a better asset is always debated.

tennis_pro 11-24-2012 08:38 AM

You mean Jiri Novak and someone who doesn't exist?

Gonzo_style 11-24-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisbuck (Post 7030593)
Would Nole at his prime beat aggassi at his prime?

Djokovic would be favorite on clay, on the other surfaces i give them a equal chances

btw it's Agassi, not Aggassi

Federer20042006 11-24-2012 12:25 PM

Djokovic's big advantage in movement would win out, I think.

DolgoSantoro 11-24-2012 01:56 PM

Are we talking 2011 Djokovic? Because I would bet on him over any incarnation of Andre. Their ground games and returns are comparable but Novak's movement would give him the edge and he was stronger mentally than Agassi.

Cup8489 11-24-2012 08:07 PM

95 Agassi + Poly would give prime novak some serious trouble.

merwy 11-25-2012 09:00 AM

I think Djokovic would win most of the matches. Simply because you said "in his prime". Djokovic in his prime (2011) is simply unbelievably good, it seemed like he could let every ball hit the baseline if he wanted to, he did not make any unforced errors. Agassi in his prime is also great though, we shouldn't forget that he could still take sets off of prime Federer when he himself was 30+ years old.

DunlopDood 11-26-2012 09:12 PM

Agassi played nice tennis, beautiful clean backhand..Djokovic throws himself around the court like a rag doll. Effective game but just not attractive to watch. Agassi won Wimbledon on a grasscourt that might as well have been a sheet of ice...from the baseline... against some monster servers. Djokovic isn't even half the talent Agassi was. Agassi completed a career grand slam in an era of differing court speeds. Today's courts play slow compared to the 90's.

djokovic2008 11-26-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunlopDood (Post 7034248)
Agassi played nice tennis, beautiful clean backhand..Djokovic throws himself around the court like a rag doll. Effective game but just not attractive to watch. Agassi won Wimbledon on a grasscourt that might as well have been a sheet of ice...from the baseline... against some monster servers. Djokovic isn't even half the talent Agassi was. Agassi completed a career grand slam in an era of differing court speeds. Today's courts play slow compared to the 90's.

Erh.. so djoker does not have this either? do you actually watch tennis other than youtube clips djokers backhand is as good if not better on the defense which gives him the edge.

dimeaxe 11-27-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunlopDood (Post 7034248)

False, Djokovic is much bigger talent than Agassi ever was, I watched Agassi since he was very young, Novak would swept court with him in any conditions, any time.I do not even want to mention how much better tactician Novak is.

sonicare 11-27-2012 02:51 AM

At his best, djokovic would murder agassi on any court anywhere.

chippy17 11-27-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicare (Post 7034390)
At his best, djokovic would murder agassi on any court anywhere.

at his best, Agassi would murder Djokovic on any court anywhere.

Charlzz 11-27-2012 06:42 AM

If we agree that Federer would beat Agassi (and it's true Agassi played him close from time to time), and Djokovic can beat Federer by essentially being a human backboard, I don't see that Agassi would have a chance against Djokovic.

Sampras used to say one problem with Agassi was his footspeed. He just didn't run that fast. Agassi used to try to rip a forehand to Sampras's forehand. Sampras would then hit a reverse forehand and it would come back with angle and pace. Djokovic can do that more easily than Sampras.

AnotherTennisProdigy 11-27-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlzz (Post 7034557)
If we agree that Federer would beat Agassi (and it's true Agassi played him close from time to time), and Djokovic can beat Federer by essentially being a human backboard, I don't see that Agassi would have a chance against Djokovic.

Sampras used to say one problem with Agassi was his footspeed. He just didn't run that fast. Agassi used to try to rip a forehand to Sampras's forehand. Sampras would then hit a reverse forehand and it would come back with angle and pace. Djokovic can do that more easily than Sampras.

That's like saying Federer can beat Nadal
because
Federer can beat Djokovic who can beat Nadal.

Edit- Also, I think you're underestimating Sampras a little too much.

ductrung3993 11-27-2012 09:44 AM

Fast court = Agassi's advantage
Slow court = Djok's advantage

CCNM 11-27-2012 01:36 PM

I would pay to watch this. Sounds like a good match-up