Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Does an extra half inch on the racket REALLY make a difference to your game? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446532)

MAXXply 11-25-2012 07:43 AM

Does an extra half inch on the racket REALLY make a difference to your game?

Just curious what your thoughts are about that extra 0.5 inches on a tennis racket and whether it makes a noticeable and improved difference to your game, specifically in terms of maneuverability and timing. I mean 0.5 inches is just 1.27 cms right? All the extra long rackets back in the day came in at 28 inches, a full inch longer. So half an inch isn't that big a deal now, right? Or is it?? :confused:

I'm referring mainly to the AeroPro Drive + and Pure Drive + models. I can live with the regular versions but it would be nice if they were slightly more headlight. If I don't wanna bother with lead mods, should I simply migrate to the Plusses?

Rabbit 11-25-2012 07:56 AM

I think for most of us the answer is no. Pros? Maybe. I think your answer lies in the dearth of the once faddish extended length racquets available now. Michael Chang made them popular, but they've gone the way of wide body frames, Titanium Racquets, and soon Amplifeel!

thecrusher956 11-25-2012 08:34 AM

It really depends. The extended length racquets are going to feel more sluggish but offer you more power and less control. It's really a tradeoff about what you want.

PrincessAdam 11-25-2012 08:40 AM

I have an extended and a regular length. I normally play with the 27 but when I hit with the extended I can feel it big time. It does have a more draggy feeling to it, but does help out on the serve and forehand. I have a 1 handed backhand though, so that's why I don't normally use them.

v-verb 11-25-2012 08:48 AM

I have 2 Ripsticks (29") and a Thunderbolt (28.5")

The added reach can come in handy, but they are a lot harder to swing and the Ripsticks wrecked my wrist.

The serve does come in harder withthe extended racquets , however I have to say that I've never served better than with my regular length Prince Boron.

Roddickulous 11-25-2012 08:53 AM

I think once you get used to them, if you ever go down to a standard length again you'll feel like you have all the control in the world... that being said, I love the control I get from my APD+'s

Automatix 11-25-2012 08:53 AM

I'd say that the difference will vary depending on many factors.
I am more than certain that short players will benefit more from the extra reach, especially if they play with a 2 handed backhand.

Sara Errani certainly feels that the switch to an extended length racquet helped her out.

UCSF2012 11-25-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roddickulous (Post 7031895)
I think once you get used to them, if you ever go down to a standard length again you'll feel like you have all the control in the world... that being said, I love the control I get from my APD+'s

Control from the APD? Were you playing with a 40 inch racket before?

Faithfulfather 11-25-2012 09:20 AM

I am a 3.5 player and can feel a difference. The extra reach on serves and groundstrokes are unmatched, but my net game suffered badly. Once you get use to the extra swing weight that comes with the extra length, it probably won't make that big of a difference. I think my problem was mainly psychosomatic. If you continuously switch back and forth for an extended period of time, it will only amplify the differences. This, of course, is only my humble opinion. Try it and let us know your thoughts. It would make for an interesting thread.

airdupont 11-25-2012 09:50 AM

I feel the difference. Have been playing with xl racquets for so long now. I can't get adapted to standard length racquets anymore.

Winners or Errors 11-25-2012 10:00 AM

If you want to experiment without actually demoing, just try gripping your racquet a half inch closer to the hoop. It will dramatically increase mobility and consequently headspeed, but makes the racquet feel less stable. Try it.

TennisMD 11-25-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7031828)
Just curious what your thoughts are about that extra 0.5 inches on a tennis racket and whether it makes a noticeable and improved difference to your game, specifically in terms of maneuverability and timing. I mean 0.5 inches is just 1.27 cms right? All the extra long rackets back in the day came in at 28 inches, a full inch longer. So half an inch isn't that big a deal now, right? Or is it?? :confused:

I'm referring mainly to the AeroPro Drive + and Pure Drive + models. I can live with the regular versions but it would be nice if they were slightly more headlight. If I don't wanna bother with lead mods, should I simply migrate to the Plusses?

I have tried them and using radar gun not a big difference if any on avg basis.
So looking at TWU the only long rkt in the top serving category was the pure storm tour GT+.
also the only time my arm bothered me was in using the + rkts, I am sure a matter of hitting a little late

Francis27 11-25-2012 10:42 AM

I only notice the extra length at serves. I feel that with the extra length i always get the ball in the service box

Roforot 11-25-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7031828)

First answer: That's what she said!

Now that it's out of the way, I do find a significant difference. Even w/ a regular length racquet, I'm very close to having my pinky off the racquet on my FH vs. BH and volleys. On my second serve, I have my pinky off the handle.

If you want a more headlight racquet, I suggest you put a leather grip +overgrip or add weight. Most extended racquets also have a bigger swingweight. Although the PDR+ is 6pts HL (vs. 5) it *felt* less HL while swinging. I ended up preferring the regular length PDR as it was less stressful on my 1h-BH.

If I had a 2hBH or askewed groundstrokes playing S&V, I could see myself using an extended length racquet. One thing though I have seen is people report shoulder pains w/ longer racquets, even so called arm friendly frames like the ProKennex 7.

movdqa 11-25-2012 11:11 AM

I think that the sweet spot is a little lower on the 100 sq inch racquets compared to mids and MPs and making the racquet a little longer may move the sweetspot back to where it was before for those using smaller-headsize racquets.

I use 27 3/4 inches and I have an adjustment period when going back to 27 inch racquets. It took me about two weeks to get used to playing with 27 3/4 inches.

Xizel 11-25-2012 11:31 AM

The extended length is more significant the more mass you have in the hoop. The amount of force striking the ball in the upper area of a heavy hoop with an extended frame is ridiculous. But to get this benefit, you also make the hoop so heavy that net exchanges become pretty difficult.

sargeinaz 11-25-2012 12:10 PM

I have a one handed backhand and I'm about to buy a 27.5 inch racket because I'm curious about just that. Does it make a difference? Maybe it will be a good difference? Who knows, but I want to find out. I think it will be a noticeable difference, I just hope it's a positive and not a painful one. I'm 5'8'' hence the reason for trying.

BlueB 11-25-2012 01:38 PM

It does...

I serve better with extended, my wife too.
I get TE way easier with extended. Close to body manouvrabillity is affected. Rech is awsome - I can't get passed or lobbed at the net with a 28". However, if the shot goes into the boddy... SHBH doesn't like it much either.
I mostly play with 27", but have few 27.5 and 28 too. I need to find a 29" for an experiment.

On the side note, it is interesting that 28" frames often have some monster SW and very HL, compared to a 27" of similar specs. Yet, somehow you don't feel that heavy SW to the full extent?

PBODY99 11-25-2012 03:37 PM

For me it certainly has......

I have used up to 29" frames and I found them to help my serve and I adjusted to the length at the net with no problem. The higher swing weight is just that weight. Since I started playing with 13 ounce standard frames, I don't find 340 SW to be a problem. I currently use 27.5, as that is what is available and the SW is still under 320

TennisMD 11-25-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7032054)
I only notice the extra length at serves. I feel that with the extra length i always get the ball in the service box

I should have added that speed wise no big difference, but I do agree with more in box, but outside of this more neg than pos for + compared to reg length , N.B. I play more dubs now.