Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What to do with "stallers" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446560)

crosbydog 11-25-2012 01:31 PM

What to do with "stallers"

So my daughter played up in a girls 14s tournament, made it to the finals against someone of similar ability. Whenever my daughter won a point or was serving and the score was ad in this person would turn her back and go hang out at the back fence for 8-10 seconds. My daughter did it back once and when the opponent turned around to see my daughter copying her she turned back to face the fence :twisted:

Of course there was no official present, nor was there at the last tournament when this person walked off the court in the middle of a match.

According to Friend of the Court " the receiver should play at the reasonable pace of the server.".

jonnythan 11-25-2012 01:51 PM

You know, the rules already tell you how to handle this.

crosbydog 11-25-2012 03:17 PM

[quote=jonnythan;7032343]You know, the rules already tell you how to handle this.[/QUOTE

Uh, where do the rules tell you how to handle it when there are no officials present? I rarely post here any more because of the snarkiness of responses

woodrow1029 11-25-2012 03:27 PM

There is no set rule as to define "reasonable pace of the server"; however, the guideline we use is 12-15 seconds is considered reasonable. Of course, it varies. If a player is serving consistently at 8-10 seconds, and the receiver is consistently ready, and not complaining, then that could be considered reasonable pace for that match. If a player is consistently serving at 18 seconds or so, then, I would say reasonable pace for that match would be 15 second or so. And the player wouldn't then be able to quick serve and expect that to be reasonable.

8-10 seconds isn't really stalling at all. If this was a USTA sanctioned tournament, there would have been at least one official. If your daughter was bothered by timing, she is free to leave the court to seek out an official.

10ismom 11-25-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7032488)
There is no set rule as to define "reasonable pace of the server"; however, the guideline we use is 12-15 seconds is considered reasonable. Of course, it varies. If a player is serving consistently at 8-10 seconds, and the receiver is consistently ready, and not complaining, then that could be considered reasonable pace for that match. If a player is consistently serving at 18 seconds or so, then, I would say reasonable pace for that match would be 15 second or so. And the player wouldn't then be able to quick serve and expect that to be reasonable.

8-10 seconds isn't really stalling at all. If this was a USTA sanctioned tournament, there would have been at least one official. If your daughter was bothered by timing, she is free to leave the court to seek out an official.

It was a receiver who turned away to the fence and paused for a long time. Wasn't the receiver supposed to play at the server's pace?
My daughter faced similar situation a few times. It annoyed her but she usually just waited. Sometimes the receiver stalled to interrupt server's rhythm and she double faulted. Would you recommend getting an official if the person keeps doing that?

woodrow1029 11-25-2012 04:19 PM

Yes she should get an official, but like I said, reasonable pace isn't always the same. And if she's back there for 10 seconds and ready to receive at 15, that is usually a "reasonable pace". Now, if she's there for 20 seconds and the server is ready to serve for a while, that's different.

woodrow1029 11-25-2012 04:20 PM

Duplicative post.

10ismom 11-25-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7032532)
Yes she should get an official, but like I said, reasonable pace isn't always the same. And if she's back there for 10 seconds and ready to receive at 15, that is usually a "reasonable pace". Now, if she's there for 20 seconds and the server is ready to serve for a while, that's different.

Thanks for the answer.

sundaypunch 11-25-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7032532)

This is within the rules, but will delay many servers. Some consider it gamesmanship. In my view, it is the smart play for the receiver to slow things down when things are going badly. I have seen some coaches recommend other delay tactics. Another classic is to hit a long first serve into the net and slowly walk up to clear the ball before the second serve.

lala28m 11-25-2012 06:00 PM

"Whenever my daughter won a point or was serving and the score was ad in this person would turn her back and go hang out at the back fence for 8-10 seconds."
If your daughter is serving... It's at her pace. I've seen girls just go ahead and serve when the receiver is stalling. Valid tactic. It worked. The statler was ready next time.

lala28m 11-25-2012 06:02 PM

*staller was ready next time.

woodrow1029 11-25-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 7032595)
This is within the rules, but will delay many servers. Some consider it gamesmanship. In my view, it is the smart play for the receiver to slow things down when things are going badly. I have seen some coaches recommend other delay tactics. Another classic is to hit a long first serve into the net and slowly walk up to clear the ball before the second serve.

But it doesn't matter if it delays the server if the receiver is playing to a "reasonable pace".

woodrow1029 11-25-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lala28m (Post 7032632)
"Whenever my daughter won a point or was serving and the score was ad in this person would turn her back and go hang out at the back fence for 8-10 seconds."
If your daughter is serving... It's at her pace. I've seen girls just go ahead and serve when the receiver is stalling. Valid tactic. It worked. The statler was ready next time.

No it's not a valid tactic as the rule is that the server has to wait for the receiver to be ready.

anhuynh16 11-25-2012 07:15 PM

I know, it's a terrible feeling waiting for the person to return your serve when you're already ready.

Give them a stare or something when your ready..

Rattler 11-25-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anhuynh16 (Post 7032699)
I know, it's a terrible feeling waiting for the person to return your serve when you're already ready.

Give them a stare or something when your ready..

Say the score, this simple (and required action) prompts the receiver that the server is ready.

crosbydog 11-25-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattler (Post 7032705)
Say the score, this simple (and required action) prompts the receiver that the server is ready.

My daughter said the score multiple times to encourage the receiver to turn around. She didn't. She also did the s-l-o-w walk to retrieve a ball she hit into the net.

Also even though it was a USTA tournament there were no officials and the TD didn't know the rules (as evidenced by his not allowing 2 other competitors to be coached prior to a third set tie breaker). I heard him tell his friend " the kids should just be allowed to play and told what they did wrong after the match".

Thanks for everyone's responses.

woodrow1029 11-25-2012 09:57 PM

What section was this? I have a very hard time believing there was not a tournament referee available.

woodrow1029 11-25-2012 09:59 PM

Also when talking about the third set tiebreak, do you mean a third set tiebreak, or a 10 point match tiebreak in lieu of a third set?

sundaypunch 11-26-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7032637)
But it doesn't matter if it delays the server if the receiver is playing to a "reasonable pace".

Yes, that is exactly my point. It is perfectly valid for the receiver to take 10-seconds to gather their thoughts and slow the pace of the server.

sundaypunch 11-26-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lala28m (Post 7032632)

If the receiver makes no attempt to return the serve then the serve doesn't count.