Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How do you attack short balls? And what are other ways to attack? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446579)

Headshotterer 11-25-2012 06:06 PM

How do you attack short balls? And what are other ways to attack?

I see alot of the pros who do this, and I want to make this in my game. Whenever I try to attack, its not enough pace and does not put me in the position to when the point or approach the net. How is it different from a basic groundshot?

boramiNYC 11-25-2012 09:15 PM

you need more precise footwork and topspin for good control and power.

toly 11-25-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headshotterer (Post 7032641)
I see alot of the pros who do this, and I want to make this in my game. Whenever I try to attack, its not enough pace and does not put me in the position to when the point or approach the net. How is it different from a basic groundshot?

Here is example how to hit short ball forehand swing volley.

Figure 1. Azarenka forehand swing volley near service line, arm actions before contact.

Figure 2. Azarenka forehand swing volley near service line, arm actions before and after contact

There is original video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ79q...&feature=g-upl and one more picture.

5263 11-27-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

There are many ways to attack and they vary with your skill and what type
short ball you are dealing with. Imo it is better to slice to the smart targets
on the lower contacted short balls or drop shot. For a ball that has a higher
contact point, Imo the flatter trajectory across TS works best to control the
net clearance with precise power; more of a crisp type power than all out
crush though. Also Imo it is important to make the most of balls that fall into
your avoid zone, as these give the best opportunity, but tend to proceed with
more caution on wider short balls, since they can also leave you in a tough
position to continue to push the attack.

LeeD 11-27-2012 07:45 PM

you can hit it faster than they can react, thus creating your own winner..
You can hit a deep approach shot that forces them onto their heels, while you take service line position to put away the next shot.
You can hit a drop approach, one shorter than the opponent's service line after it's second bounce, keep moving to service line position...

LuckyR 11-28-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

I am going to make a guess here and tell me how close I am to the truth: You are under 30 in age and typically don't hit a lot of volleys in a match.

If true, then I would not use weak balls to approach the net, but rather to open the court with a severe CC shot (and an occasional inside in DTL for a winner).

Power Player 11-28-2012 08:47 AM

The mistake is that already someone posts a picture just showing the player's arms. that is almost meaningless in an attacking shot. The most important thing is your feet. what stance do you use? It matters more than anything. Balance is everything in this case.

I attack a lot of short balls with a closed or semi open stance. That way my weight is coming forward and I am stepping through the shot. I feel that is the most important key. Sometimes I need to stay open. Example : a short ball to the ad side that I want to hit an inside out forehand on CC. I hit from an open stance in that situation.

As stated above me, the volley is the same thing. You have to be moving into and through the ball. That is the most important part of the volley. The racquet is just going along for the ride. Studying how azarenka angles her racquet face is a dead end IMO.

fuzz nation 11-28-2012 09:38 AM

Lots of short balls are also off-speed, so if you look to tee off on those for clean winners too much, it's easy to spray them into the donation tray for your opponent's point fund. That short ball is your opportunity to control the action and put the other guy in a box.

If you can hit into an angle and put 'em on the run, that's always nice, but it's not always easy to do it. If you don't know how to hit a slice approach, it's time. That's the shot that gives opponents no more than a low skidder, forces them to hit up, and if you've planned ahead, you've moved in and are ready to volley to daylight.

Here's the catch: the best approach shots are often ones that land nice and deep. Place that ball only a couple feet inside the baseline and opponents are usually neutralized. Leave it short and/or sitting up and you're going to be the one playing defense.

Another great attack with that slice approach can be leaving it semi-short (not quite a drop shot) so that it forces opponents to lunge forward and shovel the ball up. Step up (yes, to the net) and enjoy your free lunch! This is the "north-south" sort of attack that's worth considering in case you can't beat someone with more of an "east-west" array of shots.

toly 11-28-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7036278)
The mistake is that already someone posts a picture just showing the player's arms. that is almost meaningless in an attacking shot. The most important thing is your feet. what stance do you use? It matters more than anything. Balance is everything in this case.

You really didnít read my post carefully. There is also original video. I repost it again specifically for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ79q...&feature=g-upl

Power Player 11-28-2012 11:30 AM

I read your post clearly. You posted how to hit a swing volley. The OP is talking about short balls. Short balls usually are called short because they bounce short and are attackable.

What you should have highlighted was the shot before her swing volley. That was her attacking a short ball.

LeeD 11-28-2012 11:39 AM

Short ball for an approach or outright winner is different from a groundstroke in the fact your depth is limited, while you need to hit close to your opponent's baseline for effectiveness.
So you need CONTROLLED power and depth.
Going for a winner, you need ball speed.
Going for approach shots, you need ball placement.

Tmano 11-28-2012 11:51 AM

Assuming you get pretty fast on the ball that's what I would suggest:

FHand on the corner or right on the feet of your ooponent with some good top spin to clear the net enogh but with not too much power because you may over hit and go out wide o long.
if you are a bit late slice back hand as many mentioned, better if it has some side spin bit it need to be pretty deep
if late Fhand slice driven down the line with very little clerance of net staying low with your legs and driving the bal with your arm. A pro thought me this shot and I love it but it requires a lot of practice.

toly 11-28-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7036541)
I read your post clearly. You posted how to hit a swing volley. The OP is talking about short balls. Short balls usually are called short because they bounce short and are attackable.

What you should have highlighted was the shot before her swing volley. That was her attacking a short ball.

Thanks for clarification. I really still don't understand US tennis terminology.:(

Power Player 11-28-2012 04:41 PM

Well you were close. The video shows an awesome backhand attack of a short ball, so it is worth watching for sure.

5263 11-28-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toly (Post 7036805)
Thanks for clarification. I really still don't understand US tennis terminology.:(

I'll confuse you more by saying you were right from the start. Both of those balls
were short ball attack opportunities.

I'm going to have to side with you on this one toly, lol, as attacking short balls
is about any ball we can move up inside the BL to hit forcing shots on. If a ball
is floating down thru the lane and can be taken in the air from inside the baseline,
then that is surely a short ball attack as well.

nice mid ct ball attack here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...RT0Qefk#t=712s

rufus_smith 11-29-2012 07:21 AM

After you hit a short ball you are in a very vulnerable midcourt position. Imo, against better players you have to return the ball within 6 inches of the baseline or they will have an easy winner. Medium or high bouncing short balls should be no problem to return well. Low ones are difficult.

Power Player 11-29-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7037129)
I'll confuse you more by saying you were right from the start. Both of those balls
were short ball attack opportunities.

I'm going to have to side with you on this one toly, lol, as attacking short balls
is about any ball we can move up inside the BL to hit forcing shots on. If a ball
is floating down thru the lane and can be taken in the air from inside the baseline,
then that is surely a short ball attack as well.

nice mid ct ball attack here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...RT0Qefk#t=712s

Reread the OP.

5263 11-29-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7037872)
Reread the OP.

I did & fail to get your point. What am I missing?

Swinging volley from near mid ct is surely a short ball attack and
not really too different from a normal groundstroke.

OP was-
How do you attack short balls? And what are other ways to attack?

Swing volley is how some attack short balls as well as an other way to
attack, right?
What did I miss? You have me very curious ..:)

5263 11-29-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7036278)
The mistake is that already someone posts a picture just showing the player's arms. that is almost meaningless in an attacking shot. The most important thing is your feet. what stance do you use? It matters more than anything. Balance is everything in this case..

While I agree balance is key....Balance is key and critical for all strokes and
how the arms swing is also very key on the difference in short ball attacks vs
BL groundies.

maggmaster 11-29-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus_smith (Post 7037863)
After you hit a short ball you are in a very vulnerable midcourt position. Imo, against better players you have to return the ball within 6 inches of the baseline or they will have an easy winner. Medium or high bouncing short balls should be no problem to return well. Low ones are difficult.

This is the one where you MUST have a slice. Even on the forehand side you are better shoveling this out with a slice to a good position.