Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   tennis camp for adult (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446611)

Tmano 11-26-2012 07:50 AM

tennis camp for adult

I'm looking for a good but not too expensive tennis camp in the US over the winter (maybe february) where they really care about you as player. It does not have to be fancy but with a great team of capable tennis pros. I also don't really care about the location but it has to be above 60f. :)

If some one here have been to a camp like that or any good camp please let me know the mane and your thoughts about it.

Thanks

sureshs 11-26-2012 08:45 AM

http://www.tennisresortsonline.com/

Tmano 11-26-2012 10:10 AM

Thanks suresh! but I would love to hear the opinion from someone that really went to any of those camp.

GMay 11-26-2012 10:33 AM

John Newcombe Tennis Ranch. Not fancy at all --- a bit better than Summer Camp. But a lot of tennis, food is decent, an good price considering it includes foot, lodging and lessons, and I would guess there should be plenty of tennis players there in February.

Tmano 11-26-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMay (Post 7033463)
John Newcombe Tennis Ranch. Not fancy at all --- a bit better than Summer Camp. But a lot of tennis, food is decent, an good price considering it includes foot, lodging and lessons, and I would guess there should be plenty of tennis players there in February.

Thanks GMay! have you been at this camp?

sureshs 11-26-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmano (Post 7033431)
Thanks suresh! but I would love to hear the opinion from someone that really went to any of those camp.

I had once been on vacation to the Naples, FL camp. It has changed hands several times I think. Naples Tennis and Bath Club. It used to have clay courts when I was there. Check out the recent details on Tennis Resorts Online. The site also has user reviews and discount offers.

Basically, you can't go wrong with big names like Newks or Bollitierri or Saddlebrook or Evert.

GMay 11-26-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmano (Post 7033653)
Thanks GMay! have you been at this camp?

Yes, went in June a couple of years ago. Would go back but during a time when they had more people there as we ranged in ratings from 2.5/3.0 (me at the time) to 4.5/5.0 and we were generally all together. By the end of the week, I was tired of getting blasted by 4.5/5.0 male serves!

gavna 11-26-2012 04:28 PM

I do weeks at both Saddlebrook and Newks on a regular basis for years.....love both. Since I live about 2 1/2 hrs from Newks and my youngest is at the academy there I am partial to Newks. Really no matter which adult program you choose you will get solid tennis - Newks tries to have a laid back "Aussie" style with solid workouts but lots of bar time in the evening - hahaha and on many weekends you can get some really solid players the accommodations are nice but for sure not 4star. Saddlebrook sells itself a bit more upscale and the tennis workshops can be brutal (I remember a bootcamp workout a few yrs ago on the 2nd day and I could barely walk back to my condo).

The Academy at Club Med at Sandpiper (near Port St Lucie, FL) is also good as long as you do the Academy Program - I like it as well but it is pretty expensive As you have to pay an extra fee for the Academy intensive total tennis - of course all the extras you get with the Club Med package is great - only negative is the location as it really does not have a beach (it's on the intercoastal) and they have a baby club (some weeks it seems that's all you see are lots and lots and lots of kids).

sureshs 11-26-2012 05:29 PM

Stick to Florida, Texas, Southern California.

Search on that web site (by State), narrow it down, and then go the respective web sites.

February should be lean time, with the winter birds having flown back and the summer action not starting. Should be good time to negotiate deals.

SoBad 11-26-2012 05:32 PM

I would look into some of those academies in Spain. You learn to construct points on clay and also tapas and sangria twice a day.

Tmano 11-26-2012 05:58 PM

Suresh, gavna, GMay, SoBad thanks a lot for your opinions, they are really helpful.

SoBad I went to Spain in vacation many times, last time I was in Ibiza and Formentera and you can have lots of fun indeed and we all know they are very good at teaching tennis, but now that I'm living in the US and it would cost me too much a tennis camp there...maybe when I move back home I'll go there:)

Do Saddlebrook and Newks offer private lessons or only group lessons?

gavna 11-26-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmano (Post 7034097)
Do Saddlebrook and Newks offer private lessons or only group lessons?

Yes to both.......at Newks you tend to have some pros who will take some time to work with you outside the group - somewhat informal - of course it's correct to "tip" in this case. But if you have the legs - at both places you can set up formal lessons with the pros.

A word of advice - if you do Saddlebrook Academy it's smart to get ready in advance - they will push you hard mentally and physically - day 2 and 3 can be brutal on first timers but it's well worth it.

Tmano 11-27-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7034188)
Yes to both.......at Newks you tend to have some pros who will take some time to work with you outside the group - somewhat informal - of course it's correct to "tip" in this case. But if you have the legs - at both places you can set up formal lessons with the pros.

A word of advice - if you do Saddlebrook Academy it's smart to get ready in advance - they will push you hard mentally and physically - day 2 and 3 can be brutal on first timers but it's well worth it.

Thanks! I think I might pick saddlebrook...I like working hard!

Chotobaka 11-27-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7033983)
I do weeks at both Saddlebrook and Newks on a regular basis for years.....love both. Since I live about 2 1/2 hrs from Newks and my youngest is at the academy there I am partial to Newks. Really no matter which adult program you choose you will get solid tennis - Newks tries to have a laid back "Aussie" style with solid workouts but lots of bar time in the evening - hahaha and on many weekends you can get some really solid players the accommodations are nice but for sure not 4star. Saddlebrook sells itself a bit more upscale and the tennis workshops can be brutal (I remember a bootcamp workout a few yrs ago on the 2nd day and I could barely walk back to my condo).

The Academy at Club Med at Sandpiper (near Port St Lucie, FL) is also good as long as you do the Academy Program - I like it as well but it is pretty expensive As you have to pay an extra fee for the Academy intensive total tennis - of course all the extras you get with the Club Med package is great - only negative is the location as it really does not have a beach (it's on the intercoastal) and they have a baby club (some weeks it seems that's all you see are lots and lots and lots of kids).

Newks has to be the most unique, friendly and fun vibe of any tennis camp I have attended, while still providing excellent tennis coaching. And it also has to be the best value in quality adult camps -- very reasonably priced.

For something less all-inclusive and less isolated, check out weeklong Brady adult camps in SoCal.

Tmano 11-28-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 7035705)
Newks has to be the most unique, friendly and fun vibe of any tennis camp I have attended, while still providing excellent tennis coaching. And it also has to be the best value in quality adult camps -- very reasonably priced.

For something less all-inclusive and less isolated, check out weeklong Brady adult camps in SoCal.

Nice to know Chotobaka! Hope this info would also help other people here looking for tennis camp.
Thanks

McLovin 11-29-2012 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7033697)
I had once been on vacation to the Naples, FL camp. It has changed hands several times I think. Naples Tennis and Bath Club. It used to have clay courts when I was there. Check out the recent details on Tennis Resorts Online. The site also has user reviews and discount offers.

Naples Bath & Tennis is back in the hands of Sanchez-Casal:
http://www.asc-florida.com/location.php
We will be across the street (literally, at World Tennis Club) over X-Mas visiting my parents. My wife may do the 2-day 'Silver' package (packages are described here http://www.asc-florida.com/docs/eng/09_ADULTS.pdf), so I'll let you know what she thinks of it.

sureshs 11-29-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7037610)
Naples Bath & Tennis is back in the hands of Sanchez-Casal:
http://www.asc-florida.com/location.php
We will be across the street (literally, at World Tennis Club) over X-Mas visiting my parents. My wife may do the 2-day 'Silver' package (packages are described here http://www.asc-florida.com/docs/eng/09_ADULTS.pdf), so I'll let you know what she thinks of it.

When I was there, it rained half the time, but we managed to get the hours in. The head pro was monitoring the weather on his computer all the time. The teaching pros were mostly "foreigners" (from South America I think) as is usual in these cases, and I could sense some tension relating to how much they were paid and how they felt to be asked to sacrifice their Christmas vacation time.

My wife and son took the Everglades speedboat trip and saw alligators. The accommodation was condo style with a fancy overpriced restaurant on premises. We mostly ate outside.

gavna 12-13-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7037937)
When I was there, it rained half the time, but we managed to get the hours in. The head pro was monitoring the weather on his computer all the time. The teaching pros were mostly "foreigners" (from South America I think) as is usual in these cases, and I could sense some tension relating to how much they were paid and how they felt to be asked to sacrifice their Christmas vacation time.

My wife and son took the Everglades speedboat trip and saw alligators. The accommodation was condo style with a fancy overpriced restaurant on premises. We mostly ate outside.

We had a house in the subdivision for 2 yrs while our daughter was at Sanchez/Casal......we left and sold just before the shutdown a few years ago but was part of the whole mess trying to keep the Tennis club itself going.......yes major issues with many of the pros who at times really didn't want to be there. That part of Florida 200% different than the east coast........good to see the place reopened, we kept getting mails and letters from the Sanchez group stating they were going to purchase and reopen the facility - did take some time.