Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Soderling news (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446626)

wintintu 11-26-2012 12:12 PM

Soderling news

Says he might never come back which would be very tough:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/tennis/2012/...battling-mono/

PhrygianDominant 11-26-2012 12:38 PM

Sad. I miss the viking.

dimeaxe 11-26-2012 03:26 PM

What a pity, really sad for him, just another proof how Fed's famous MONO thing was just cheap PR stunt.

Clarky21 11-26-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimeaxe (Post 7033908)
What a pity, really sad for him, just another proof how Fed's famous MONO thing was just cheap PR stunt.

So was ****'s famous gluten-free diet,and his famous egg hypobaric chamber story as well.

Anyway,this sucks for Soderling. Hopefully he can recover enough to get back on the tour. He must be bummed to have to face that he may never play again.

President 11-26-2012 03:53 PM

Terrible for the tour. Robin Soderling was definitely the 5th best player in the world when his disease hit (and he proved it by destroying the current #5 and #6 players en route to his last tournament win) and the player who IMO could most challenge the top 4 in majors. Hopefully he can come back :-?

dimeaxe 11-26-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7033932)
So was ****'s famous gluten-free diet,and his famous egg hypobaric chamber story as well.

Anyway,this sucks for Soderling. Hopefully he can recover enough to get back on the tour. He must be bummed to have to face that he may never play again.

You're like a parrot, just repeating, repeating the same stuff.Novak can breath now on the court, he couldn't do that before.You can't get to this state just by taking some illegal stuff.

Clarky21 11-26-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimeaxe (Post 7033944)
You're like a parrot, just repeating, repeating the same stuff.Novak can breath now on the court, he couldn't do that before.You can't get to this state just by taking some illegal stuff.

Whatever. The gluten-free/hypobaric chamber crap was just a bs red herring. That's all I'm gonna say about it since I don't want to derail this thread.

dimeaxe 11-26-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7033949)
Whatever. The gluten-free/hypobaric chamber crap was just a bs red herring. That's all I'm gonna say about it since I don't want to derail this thread.

You did it with many others, I hope you're not going to stop now:)

tennis_pro 11-26-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Federer's mono wasn't as intense as Soderling's, it doesn't mean he didn't have it at all.

Fed probably got over it in early to mid 2008 but he lacked the hours of practice on court which caused some serious damage to his fitness and then confidence. Whatever way you look at it and for whatever reason, his level dropped a lot in 2008 compared to 2007, apart from a couple of tournaments, the US and maybe Basel.

dimeaxe 11-26-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7033982)
Federer's mono wasn't as intense as Soderling's, it doesn't mean he didn't have it at all.

Fed probably got over it in early to mid 2008 but he lacked the hours of practice on court which caused some serious damage to his fitness and then confidence. Whatever way you look at it and for whatever reason, his level dropped a lot in 2008 compared to 2007, apart from a couple of tournaments, the US and maybe Basel.

That's BS, he had stomach flu before AO started, and somehow after Nole dismantled him in AO, suddenly he was very bad ill.No matter how severe the illness is,you can't play tennis in such a state, do you understand what r you talkin about???

athiker 11-26-2012 05:59 PM

Mono can really kick your butt, that said like many other infections it does not affect everyone the same. Some can recover relatively quickly and others never seem to be quite the same endurance-wise.

Towser83 11-26-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

There are different levels of Mono. Roddick had it a while back and I don't think he even missed any events, or if he did it was very brief.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7033932)

See, you're bloody obsessed with Djokovic. You must wander around talking about him to everyone, you know the cashiers at the back, the person who serves you at a shop, the mailman.. I mean now you're coming back with stuff about him when people are talking about FEDERER. Why the hell do you care? Could understand if it was a Djokovic fan saying s**t about Nadal.

doodlyd 11-26-2012 08:35 PM

U cant recover from MONO ...its just that sort of illness when u cant participate
in PRO sport.especially tennis ,where u need to be at ur best almost every other week

3fees 11-26-2012 09:12 PM

It be good if he could manage to make a come back.

jokinla 11-26-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimeaxe (Post 7034005)
That's BS, he had stomach flu before AO started, and somehow after Nole dismantled him in AO, suddenly he was very bad ill.No matter how severe the illness is,you can't play tennis in such a state, do you understand what r you talkin about???

Evidently someone's a doctor. Please give us the prognosis.

Sabratha 12-04-2012 03:35 PM

I hope he can come back, but if not I hope has a great life after retirement.

tennis_pro 12-04-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimeaxe (Post 7034005)

It's not like a journeyman (at the time) pushed him to 10-8 in the final set in the 3rd round...

OOPS..

Beacon Hill 12-23-2012 09:48 PM

A few days ago I had an opportunity to chat with a former Swedish pro and he seemed definite that Soderling is not coming back. I know most people don't expect him to, but I was struck at how certain this person was.

Homeboy Hotel 12-24-2012 10:53 AM

^ Thats interesting, because I've just seen this on twitter...

stringertom 12-25-2012 10:58 PM

Mono, and its severity, is quite hard to generalize. It ended Ancic's career but has spared Roddick and Fed. It remains to be seen if Soderling can recover and return to top 10 status. One thing is certain...as a new father (baby girl born October 12), his perspective will vastly change. Even if the body heals, his interest and focus may be compromised by this new role.

Good luck, no matter what you choose, Big Swede!