Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Why no bump to this guy? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446649)

robert 11-26-2012 04:51 PM

Why no bump to this guy?

He is self rated 4.0. Got DQed in the middle of season due to 3 strikes.
Now he is 4.0B in year end rating.

Any clue?

floridatennisdude 11-26-2012 05:10 PM

Self rated at 4 & DQd/bump to 4.5?

No idea what would put him at 4.0B. Seems like an error.

JLyon 11-26-2012 05:38 PM

he got DQ'ed but the players he beat ended up being lower end when the numbers trickled down? Did he play any 4.5 matches and lost bad?

tennis_tater 11-26-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert (Post 7034014)
He is self rated 4.0. Got DQed in the middle of season due to 3 strikes.
Now he is 4.0B in year end rating.

Any clue?

Could he have successfully appealed a dq?

goober 11-27-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 7034153)
Could he have successfully appealed a dq?

I am pretty certain you can't appeal a DQ.

The only way this could happen is if he played 4.5 for the rest of the year and lost badly enough to get bumped down to 4.0 at the end of the year ratings.

wrxinsc 11-27-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7034485)
I am pretty certain you can't appeal a DQ.

The only way this could happen is if he played 4.5 for the rest of the year and lost badly enough to get bumped down to 4.0 at the end of the year ratings.

You can only appeal a DQ if the scores were entered improperly so as to generate the DQ. That appeal must be filed within in a certain tight time frame as well.

That could be the case here, but there is no where near enough information in the OP to know.

goober 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxinsc (Post 7034542)
You can only appeal a DQ if the scores were entered improperly so as to generate the DQ. That appeal must be filed within in a certain tight time frame as well.

That could be the case here, but there is no where near enough information in the OP to know.

Probably enough info to say that this almost certainly was NOT the case-

1. If he successfully appealed due to improper scores entered, he would still be playing 4.0. I am sure the OP would be more surprised about him playing 4.0 after a DQ, than anything else.

2. If he successfully appealed all his scores that got counted as losses would be reversed.

3. DQ reversal due to improper score entry is probably rare. I have never heard of it actually happening to anybody who was DQ'ed.

JLyon 11-27-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7034584)

1. If he successfully appealed due to improper scores entered, he would still be playing 4.0. I am sure the OP would be more surprised about him playing 4.0 after a DQ, than anything else.

2. If he successfully appealed all his scores that got counted as losses would be reversed.

3. DQ reversal due to improper score entry is probably rare. I have never heard of it actually happening to anybody who was DQ'ed.

Several years back in Louisiana the 4.5 team got some scores changed after sectionals, from their State Tournament, which allowed the their top singles player to play Nationals and go 5-0 and win Nationals. So not unheard of.

robert 11-27-2012 09:46 AM

No worry, usta just fixed it today. But he was 4.0B yesterday.

It is telling me that usta published the rating yesterday based upon computer calculation. And the DQ may change your DNTRP immediately. But usta still calcuates at the end of the year again, so he got bumped up and down and up.

JoelDali 11-27-2012 10:05 AM

This guy is only hurting himself trouncing the low end 4.0s.

wrxinsc 11-27-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7034584)

while you need to appeal right away, there is no obligation on the part of the usta to rule very quickly... :|

plus there is the follow up post from the OP. case cleared... :)

NumbersGuy 11-30-2012 01:55 PM

Sounds most likely that his results following his third strike were bad enough to knock him back down, as Jlyon suggested. Post his name/city/state if you want a more considered opinion.