Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Serving (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446650)

Playtennis 11-26-2012 05:19 PM

Serving

When playing I go big on my first serve. What tools or adjustments do you all make to ensure more spin on second serve? Toss back? Interested to hear what people do.

SoBad 11-26-2012 05:29 PM

Well, on the first serve you can take a little bit of risk and hit it flatter to make sure it's in the 120+mph range. On the second serve I'd tone it down to 110mph but add huge amount of kick to keep it safe and effective.

Jakes On A Plane 11-26-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playtennis (Post 7034051)
When playing I go big on my first serve. What tools or adjustments do you all make to ensure more spin on second serve? Toss back? Interested to hear what people do.

I would try to pronate the wrist more. Go through the exact same motion you use on your first serve, but snap your wrist to brush the ball with topspin. You may also want to toss the ball more right above you, instead of out in front on the first serve. This will make the the brushing motion a bit easier to accomplish.

I used a "dink" second serve as a 3.5 and ran the risk of getting punished on the return. 50/50 success rate I would say I had. I tooled with it a lot when I got bumped to 4.0, and now I feel very confident in it. When it comes to the serve (1st or 2nd), the more the spin, the better.

LeeD 11-26-2012 07:21 PM

Toss is slightly farther back.
Impact zone is slightly LOWER than for a flat serve.
Use slightly more backhand grip, but still try to pronate up and thru the ball, or it spins TOO much.
Aim 3' above the net cord.
Slow down your second serve by at least 30% to allow your topspin to arc the ball down into the court with the help of gravity and air drag.
And swing slightly FASTER than you did on the first serve.

3fees 11-26-2012 10:28 PM

Topspin second serve:the Most Spin possible

Ball toss right over your head and let it fall 2-4 inches below your service swing reach
swing is straight up"The Ultimate brushing of the tennis ball"
More power snap your wrist over the ball - John Newcombe suggestion

:mrgreen:

11 star answer out of 10 possible. :mrgreen:

Clive Walker 11-27-2012 05:27 AM

I don't know how to describe this fully, but I try to actually commit more racket head speed through the ball connection. On my forst serve I'm trying to hit it flat, or with what I call an agressive slice (i.e less spin and higher pace) On my second serve I am trying to get greater spin revolutions, therefore aim for a higher racket head speed.

I'm not aware of much of a grip change

Oh definitely -1st serve ball thrown out front, 2nd serve ball toss is more straight up and down

tennis tom 11-27-2012 05:54 AM

Some good suggestions here, but before your head starts spinning more then your second serve, lets summarize although you'd have to be a genius or an idiot savant to learn to play tennis from a book or a message board:

1) Toss ball directly over the button on your hat which is called the "12:00 o'clock" position on the imaginary clock. (but don't wear a hat while you're competing, they just get in the way, unless it's a proper Ozzie tennis hat with a piece of cabbage under it, on a scorching day with babies crying in the background). If you're doing this properly the bicep on your tossing arm will touch your cheek for a reference point (palm facing up).

2) Speed of the swing does not change, same as for a first.

3) And here's the key: When first learning the second serve, to give you an idea of the feeling of "knifing" the shot, hit the ball with the edge of your racket--and I do mean LITERALLY with the EDGE of your racket! Don't do this where infants or adults could be injured! The best place would be an open freshly harvested cornfield near Smith Center, Kansas, where no one will be watching to embarrass you or be injured--or alternatively on the outdoor roof-top courts of an urban tennis club where when the ball goes flying out to the intersection below you may hit the windshield of a passing Mercedes and cause a wreck--then run into a shower-stall and hide 'til the cops and the ambulance chasers leave.

4) Now hit 1,000,000 practice balls.

G'luck!

LeeD 11-27-2012 02:06 PM

Actually, with almost all players advanced beyond 5.0, the second serve swing is faster than any first serve swings.
Why? Because you CAN. Second serve swings, as you mentioned, are led with the edge of the racket, more streamlined and aero.
First serve swings, usually flat or FAST topspin serves, the racket is more open at contact, so the rackethead slows down or never accelerates up to the speed of a spin oriented second serve.

blakesq 11-28-2012 07:40 AM

I don't over think, I simply try to brush the ball more with my racket to get the spin I want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playtennis (Post 7034051)

dlam 11-29-2012 10:43 AM

I think there should be only one serve allow in tennis
Volleyball and all other rackets sports have one serve
It would speed up the match , make the game flow better, the server doesn't have the edge all the time, and no more questions like this to answer

LeeD 11-29-2012 10:45 AM

Sounds like something coming from someone with a weak serve.

NLBwell 11-30-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7038228)
I think there should be only one serve allow in tennis
Volleyball and all other rackets sports have one serve
It would speed up the match , make the game flow better, the server doesn't have the edge all the time, and no more questions like this to answer

The serve is one of the most complex motions in all of sports. At lower levels of play most points would be over with the serve missing.

NTRPolice 11-30-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7040959)
The serve is one of the most complex motions in all of sports. At lower levels of play most points would be over with the serve missing.

I bet the average serve speed on tour would be a lot slower.

At the rec level so many games would be lost to a fault. I honestly feel for the people who struggle with a second serve on game point. Imagine how bad it would be knowing that you only get one serve at 5 serving 6 in a tie break lol...

Coach Chad 12-03-2012 01:48 PM

Yes, toss back....tennis tom was correct, right over the button of your hat....(if you have one on)....this helps me the most. Also, I would kick it to the duece if you are a righty, and for me as a lefty, I kick it to the ad....what i mean is KICK IT MAN....make your opponent have to cheat over!