Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   bringing a 2 year-old to australian open (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446678)

chloeToh 11-27-2012 03:45 AM

bringing a 2 year-old to australian open

We will be taking our 2-year-old to Australian Open next year and are looking for suggestions and advices. We are concern with the heat and sun, so we plan to attend night matches most of the time. Staying at a hotel that is relatively close, so one of us could take our child back to the hotel if she is in foul mood. Planning to bring new toys and books to keep her entertain.

Very nervous about the trip, any suggestion or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

TimothyO 11-27-2012 04:10 AM

This is a very, very bad idea.

Clearly you already recognize the danger of leaving a two year old in the hot sun for such an extended period.

A two year old isn't going to be able to walk the grounds as an adult. Distances too great, especially in that sun. That means having a stroller to manage.

And the poor fans sitting near you...a two year old doesn't understand the need to remain quiet.

Don't subject yourself, your child, your fellow fans, and the players to this.

Chivo 11-27-2012 04:16 AM

Leave the kid with a family member...I see zero reason to bring a 2 year old to any sporting event.

Cindysphinx 11-27-2012 04:24 AM

First-time parents. They're *adorable!*

McLovin 11-27-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7034431)

Clearly you already recognize the danger of leaving a two year old in the hot sun for such an extended period.

A two year old isn't going to be able to walk the grounds as an adult. Distances too great, especially in that sun. That means having a stroller to manage.

And the poor fans sitting near you...a two year old doesn't understand the need to remain quiet.

I agree. You should bring me instead...

Mauvaise 11-27-2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

I've got to quote this for truth. Your daughter is going to get nothing from this experience and it's highly likely to be a negative experience for everyone else: both parents, other fans, and the players if she has a tantrum at the wrong time.

tennis tom 11-27-2012 05:19 AM

BRING ME! BRING ME! I have the maturity of a 2 YO and I can change my own Depends. NAH, I want to go to Disneyland!

tennis tom 11-27-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauvaise (Post 7034467)
....highly likely to be a negative experience for everyone else: both parents, other fans, and the players if she has a tantrum at the wrong time.

YUP, and if your kid bursts out crying, while Serena is foot faulting match point away, she might threaten to shove a ball down it's throat to shut it up--but maybe you could get 10% of the $92,000 fine and your kid could be the poster child for the "No Kid Left Crying Behind in the Grandstands Foundation" and be the spokes-model for Nike's new line of infant tennis apparel.

sureshs 11-27-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

She already said it was for night matches.

Children can be pushed around in strollers.

If the baby cries, it can be taken out for some time and brought back.

If bringing a baby is allowed, "poor fans" can either boycott the event or suck it up. No need to bear the expense of a baby sitter. A family that watches AO together stays together. Irritated fans are free to complain and then leave. It is called living in a society.

VaththalKuzhambu 11-27-2012 06:47 AM

Sadly, I have to agree with these comments, at least for the most part. I took my 2-year old daughter to the Cincinnati open semi-finals and she wanted to leave the stadium less than five minutes after the match started. The really sad part was that people seated next to us frowned and contorted their faces upon seeing us with a 2-year old even as we walked into the stadium fifteen minutes before the match started.

My daughter liked the crowd and the setting but did not like the silence when the match started. She did have a blast though running around on the grounds and food court area as I watched the match on the giant TV screen outside the stadium.

Also, FYI, Cincinnati tournament requires a ticket purchase for anyone over the age of 12 months!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauvaise (Post 7034467)
I've got to quote this for truth. Your daughter is going to get nothing from this experience and it's highly likely to be a negative experience for everyone else: both parents, other fans, and the players if she has a tantrum at the wrong time.

Quote:

VaththalKuzhambu 11-27-2012 06:51 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with your stand on this, especially since I even purchased a ticket for my daughter. However, apart from the concern of the nearby folks, a 2 year old is not going to stay put once the match is in play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7034563)
She already said it was for night matches.
Children can be pushed around in strollers.
If the baby cries, it can be taken out for some time and brought back.
If bringing a baby is allowed, "poor fans" can either boycott the event or suck it up. No need to bear the expense of a baby sitter. A family that watches AO together stays together. Irritated fans are free to complain and then leave. It is called living in a society.

gavna 11-27-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7034439)
First-time parents. They're *adorable!*

Aren't they:)......that said only they know their child. Can she/he sit still in the stadium? Is a 2 yr old really going to sit for hours ( hahahaha sorry) minutes while you try to watch matches? I have 3 kids and at 2 NONE of mine could even sit thru a 80min Disney cartoon....but a packed, noisy, HOT (and I bet for a 2yr old BORING) tennis event does not look like a great idea.

tennis5 11-27-2012 06:59 AM

A two year old will not remember being there, nor will she enjoy the experience of sitting still and being quiet.

See if the hotel has a babysitter who can watch her, or leave her behind with your folks.

Cindysphinx 11-27-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7034574)
Aren't they:)......that said only they know their child. Can she/he sit still in the stadium? Is a 2 yr old really going to sit for hours ( hahahaha sorry) minutes while you try to watch matches? I have 3 kids and at 2 NONE of mine could even sit thru a 80min Disney cartoon....but a packed, noisy, HOT (and I bet for a 2yr old BORING) tennis event does not look like a great idea.

No, they don't know their child, as they have never observed their child on a hot night in a crowded stadium on break point.

Children are about as predictable as wild animals -- which also shouldn't be brought to important sporting events.

woodrow1029 11-27-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7034610)
Children are about as predictable as wild animals -- which also shouldn't be brought to important sporting events.

Exactly. Which is why it's a good thing Koellerer was banned. He qualifies for both of those categories.

tennis tom 11-27-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7034563)

...If the baby cries, it can be taken out for some time and brought back.

...A family that watches AO together stays together.

...Irritated fans are free to complain and then leave. It is called living in a society.

By the time it CRIES!--it's TOO LATE!--to take it out-- Serena has f-f'ed and is half way up the stands, in a roid-rage, yelling "WHO's RUG RAT WAS THAT?"--"I'VE GOT A BALL FOR THAT RUG RAT TO PLAY WITH!"

Highly unlikely, taking a baby, half way around the world to bond at a GS, will keep a marriage together--more likely help to end it like the majority of marriages do today--my brother and ex-took their babes everywhere for years, hanging them in hammocks in the bulkhead aisle--and they're divorced today--but they weren't tennis players.

Living in a society has it's RESPONSIBILITIES as well as its rights. One of those is NOT the right to disturb professional players's fine finely tuned sensibilities, playing for their lives and mortgages, and, 25,000 people who paid good money to watch an event and not to hear a baby crying.

tennis tom 11-27-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7034610)

They're like pit bulls--you never know when they will bite or bark.

sureshs 11-27-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 7034628)
By the time it CRIES!--it's TOO LATE!--to take it out-- Serena has f-f'ed and is half way up the stands, in a roid-rage, yelling "WHO's RUG RAT WAS THAT?"--"I'VE GOT A BALL FOR THAT RUG RAT TO PLAY WITH!"

Highly unlikely, taking a baby, half way around the world to bond at a GS, will keep a marriage together--more likely help to end it like the majority of marriages do today--my brother and ex-took their babes everywhere for years, hanging them in hammocks in the bulkhead aisle--and they're divorced today--but they weren't tennis players.

Living in a society has it's RESPONSIBILITIES as well as its rights. One of those is NOT the right to disturb professional players's fine finely tuned sensibilities, playing for their lives and mortgages, and, 25,000 people who paid good money to watch an event and not to hear a baby crying.

It is very simple. Do not allow children.

Is that the rule? No.

That is all.

It is not a matter of rights and responsibilities, so no need for the usual moral lecture. There is no constitutional right to attend a sporting event or to do so without distractions. There is no constitutional right to play tennis undisturbed.

Why don't you petition the organizers not to allow children? If they agree, fine. If they don't, live with it. Why do you think they don't? Because there will be an outcry from parents.

sureshs 11-27-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaththalKuzhambu (Post 7034570)
I wholeheartedly agree with your stand on this, especially since I even purchased a ticket for my daughter. However, apart from the concern of the nearby folks, a 2 year old is not going to stay put once the match is in play.

She may sleep most of the time, and cry when she wakes up, and then she can be taken out.

If it happens in a very disturbing fashion, most parents will receive dirty looks from others, and automatically leave and watch the match in the garden with the giant TV. It is not a big deal. The ushers/security might even drop some hints.

We should rely on people's common sense.

samarai 11-27-2012 08:02 AM

Because there is such a thing as common courtesy. Sometime you do things cause its the right thing to do. Hell they dont prohibit it because the they'll have every focus groups up there a**.