Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best current IG Prestige? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446691)

Top Jimmy 11-27-2012 07:24 AM

Best current IG Prestige?

Looking for a replacement for my Dunlop 4d 200 Tours. Only have two left due to temper and looking for a slightly lighter swing weight replacement.

Spec wise these seem similar enough to the Tours and the three flavors of Prestiges have pro's and cons.

Pro - 16x19 like my Tours (yay), larger headsize, highest swingweight.
MP - 18x20 (boo), larger headsize, lightest of the bunch.
Mid - 18x20 (boo), 93sq inch head, most HL balance.

I can't seem to find a Mid in town to demo, currently have a MP and Pro to demo tomorrow.

How different is the Mid compared to the other two? Head size does not scare me.

maxpotapov 11-27-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 7034625)
Looking for a replacement for my Dunlop 4d 200 Tours. Only have two left due to temper and looking for a slightly lighter swing weight replacement.

Spec wise these seem similar enough to the Tours and the three flavors of Prestiges have pro's and cons.

I can't seem to find a Mid in town to demo, currently have a MP and Pro to demo tomorrow.

How different is the Mid compared to the other two? Head size does not scare me.

String pattern of the Mid is so dense, it's almost unplayable by today's standards. I know because I'm using it and thinking of switching to some open pattern racquet.

Top Jimmy 11-27-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 7034660)
String pattern of the Mid is so dense, it's almost unplayable by today's standards. I know because I'm using it and thinking of switching to some open pattern racquet.

Thanks, that is a fear of mine. Get used to your ball flight with a more open pattern, then change to hitting a board.

Overheadsmash 11-27-2012 08:47 AM

I have two pro's, two MP ltd editions, and an S. The pro's are really solid but you have to be strong - they are heavy. I use my pro's in the summer outside on the clay when it is warm.

I use the MPs, which seems to swing lighter and easier, indoors in the winter when it is cold.

Both are solid, but the pro seems to have more plow through. The MP is better on serves though because i can generate more head speed with it.

I string the MP with TF X-1 Biphase mains and TF Red Code crosses. Both 18.

Dgdavid 11-27-2012 09:08 AM

What about the S? Do you use it?

vsbabolat 11-27-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Ridiculous! I use the IG Prestige Mid right now. I have no problem with the string pattern.

pvaudio 11-27-2012 09:14 AM

Haha I just switched from the 4D200T to the IG Prestige Pro having demoed them all. Haven't looked back.

pvaudio 11-27-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

....Not really, you can get absurd amounts of ball action with it.

stronzzi70 11-27-2012 09:47 AM

IG Prestige Mid.............Best IG Prestige IMO.

Racquet Daddy 11-27-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

I'm afraid to ask, but could explain this line of thought a little further?

Circa 1762 11-27-2012 10:14 AM

Another vote for the Pro here. Even accounting for swingweight (I leaded my demos to the exact same weight and SW to do a direct comparison), the IG Pro is significantly more powerful than the IG MP. Surprisingly good spin with the MP despite the tighter pattern, but I also found the Pro more stable - higher twistweight, perhaps? Also, my experience may be atypical, but my MP and Pro demoes were virtually the same weight and SW stock, and both were under spec. Just means that if you want a lighter Pro, you should be able to find one.

maxpotapov 11-27-2012 10:23 AM

I said "by today's standards", meaning players are spoiled by racquets that really help to arc the ball over the net. If they try something like Prestige Mid, it feels like skating rink. It takes ridiculous amount of effort to get more rpms with 18x20 89 sq in, compared to "modern racquets". The only way to make it easier is to use some sharp poly in the mains, like PolyStar Turbo or Dunlop Black Widow.

It is perfectly fine for oldskool flat hitters (no offence), as long as you don't try to Nadal the ball with it. My shoulder still hurts from such experiments and I need a stringbed that will launch the ball much higher, given natural gut / poly setup.

Overheadsmash 11-27-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdavid (Post 7034764)
What about the S? Do you use it?

I use the S if I am playing doubles with the old guys. It's good against that drop shot, no pace, stupid spin, pseudo-squash, old man doubles game. It's quick and easy to swing. It's stable against hard groundstrokes, but not like the pro is.

jman32 11-27-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 7034625)

How different is the Mid compared to the other two? Head size does not scare

me.

I tried the mid (friend has one) and demoed the pro, bought the pro.

I was able to hit with the mid without a problem. But once in a match I had some extra frame jobs. Me and Fed

The Pro is very solid fantastic at net. Does everything really well. THe only thing to be concerned with is that it can feel stiff if you don't hit the sweetspot.

I added some lead tape to get it up to 12.6 and a 335SW

The rAcket punishes the ball and the strings. I have to restring do to wear approx 6-8 hours of play and that is lux or other tuff string

Ess 11-27-2012 05:22 PM

Switching to the IG Prestige Pro was the best tennis decision I've ever made. In my opinion a flawless racquet. You will not regret it.

Racquet Daddy 11-27-2012 08:15 PM

I don't disagree with you, max, that the 100 sq in, 16x19, yellow and black, super stiff frames have been pushed in front of kids for the past several years, and that they, in turn, can impart more rpms than a midsize racquet. But to call it "unplayable" is a bit of a stretch. It does take more developed strokes to wield a midsize racquet, though :wink:

To the OP: no offense, but if you're not A) Sponsored, B) Have the last name Safin - then you shouldn't be breaking racquets because you can't keep your temper in check in the first place. (insert some emoticon that displays that I'm halfway kidding)

Haha...max, I guess Safin's midsize Heads were unplayable if he kept destroying them all.

sundaypunch 11-27-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overheadsmash (Post 7035357)
I use the S if I am playing doubles with the old guys. It's good against that drop shot, no pace, stupid spin, pseudo-squash, old man doubles game. It's quick and easy to swing. It's stable against hard groundstrokes, but not like the pro is.

I look at the reviews for the "S" and they all say it looks great on paper but just doesn't cut it. The problem is, I have played the MP and currently have the Pro and I would really like it if they were just a bit lighter and more head light (I know, then it's not a Prestige).

So even though the reviews tell me that you can't make the "S" into a competent Prestige, I still am tempted to try one. I would like something exactly like the Pro but about 11.9 oz. and 8-10 pts. head light.

Circa 1762 11-27-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 7035677)
I look at the reviews for the "S" and they all say it looks great on paper but just doesn't cut it. The problem is, I have played the MP and currently have the Pro and I would really like it if they were just a bit lighter and more head light (I know, then it's not a Prestige).

So even though the reviews tell me that you can't make the "S" into a competent Prestige, I still am tempted to try one. I would like something exactly like the Pro but about 11.9 oz. and 8-10 pts. head light.

Of the two Pros I demoed, one came in at 11.8 oz, 33.1 cm balance, and 324 SW, and the other at 12.1 ounces, 32 cm balance, and 314 SW. Given the apparent variance, I bet if you asked TW to find you the lightest, most head light Pro they have, you could get something pretty close to your desired spec.

maxpotapov 11-27-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racquet Daddy (Post 7035658)
I don't disagree with you, max, that the 100 sq in, 16x19, yellow and black, super stiff frames have been pushed in front of kids for the past several years, and that they, in turn, can impart more rpms than a midsize racquet. But to call it "unplayable" is a bit of a stretch...I guess Safin's midsize Heads were unplayable if he kept destroying them all.

Like many Mid players before him, Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl, Sampras... Even Agassi used extra dense string pattern in his OS frame, but next generation gravitated towards open pattern and/or MP+ frames. Wilson PS90 launches the ball so much higher than Prestige Mid.

Why make recreational players and juniors work more to get the ball over the net and into the court?

audioaffliction 11-27-2012 11:06 PM

The best current Prestige is whichever one you play best with. The Pro does make more spin a bit more easily. It's also the most powerful of the lot. Depending on the way you hit, this may or may not be the best option. For me, the Pro was a tad difficult to control if I wanted to hit a cleaner ball. It basically meant that I had to string a bit higher than I'd like. I also found it a bit less forgiving on off-center hits--there's just more off-center area in its larger frame.

On the other hand, I find the Mid has a very large sweet spot relative to the size of the frame. Even shots hit well towards the edges of the frame are very easy to put in the court. In general, I find it much easier to make spin with the current Mid versus iterations of previous generations, all the way back to the Prestige 600. Adding a leather grip makes it even more head light, which I find helps me make crazy amounts of spin if I want to. YMMV.