Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help choosing racquet(s)? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446706)

psv255 11-27-2012 09:25 AM

Help choosing racquet(s)?

After my Microgel Radical Pro bent out at the top after an unfortunate stringing, in a euphoric rush of sudden freedom, I recklessly got a 6.1 BLX 90, hoping to get more stability on my 1hbh & volleys.
I don't regret my choice too much, but I'm afraid I was a bit too ambitious with weight and head size...

I've been playing for about 4 years (1 of which with the BLX), don't exactly know my NTRP but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the range of 3.5/4.0.

Personal preferences: weight 11-12oz, headsize no larger than 100, low stiffness.
Any suggestions for a good set of racquets to try to at least narrow down my preference?

Thanks.

tennisjon 11-27-2012 09:49 AM

A 90 sq. in racquet for anyone in the 3.5-4.0 range is just crazy. Even for the pros very few play with a racquet so small with a tiny sweet spot. Look for something in the 96-100 sq. in range. At the very least the Wilson Juice Pro is at least a bit more powerful and bigger. I would recommend looking at the Pro Kennex Ki5 or KiQ5. They are flexible with similar heft. The Head Radical or Prestige also fit in this similar range. In addition, I would suggest looking at the Yonex VCore 98 or EZone Xi 98 for flexible, control-oriented racquet.

psv255 11-27-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisjon (Post 7034825)
A 90 sq. in racquet for anyone in the 3.5-4.0 range is just crazy. Even for the pros very few play with a racquet so small with a tiny sweet spot. Look for something in the 96-100 sq. in range. At the very least the Wilson Juice Pro is at least a bit more powerful and bigger. I would recommend looking at the Pro Kennex Ki5 or KiQ5. They are flexible with similar heft. The Head Radical or Prestige also fit in this similar range. In addition, I would suggest looking at the Yonex VCore 98 or EZone Xi 98 for flexible, control-oriented racquet.

Yes, although I didn't feel the Tour 90 detracted from my stroke/serve production, that may be simply because I got used to it...

I'll try those out...thanks!

fuzz nation 11-27-2012 01:36 PM

If your 90 is sluggish for you and you've never tried tuning it, you might like its behavior with some lead on the handle (under your grip or overgrip) to get it balanced more head-light. Just a thought, since you can remove the lead if it doesn't work.

Otherwise you could look at a few frames out there. PK also makes the Redondo and Black Ace in a mid-plus; both have been rather well received around here. I'm a Volkl fan, but I play with their C10. That racquet has a sort of unique personality that's not for everyone (no harm in trying it!), but Volkl has other gear, too. TW has their PB 10 mp on sale (I think) and they also have both a lighter and heftier version of the Organix 10.

No argument against Yonex either. Their square-ish head shape seems to make for an easy-to-find sweet-spot that can be especially forgiving, even in a midsize. More than one Wilson mid user around here has successfully switched into a Yonex mid. I keep a pair of their discontinued RD Ti-80's as backups and love using them for doubles.

Pacific used to be Fischer and I used to have a couple of the old M-Speed Pro #1's. NICE feel in a softer frame and I think the current 98" model that replaced it is the X Force Pro.

sunof tennis 11-27-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psv255 (Post 7034894)
Yes, although I didn't feel the Tour 90 detracted from my stroke/serve production, that may be simply because I got used to it...

I'll try those out...thanks!

You might try the BLX PS95. Has the same thin box beam as the PS90, but lighter. Most will put some lead on it, but it is more forgiving than the PS90 and still has nice feel.

tennisfreak73 11-28-2012 10:21 AM

if your looking for a control racquet with low flex and lots of feel my recommendation would be the donnay x duel series in particular the silver. the gold is highly rated, but i haven't hit with that one, but TW does have a youtube video going over their results and feedback. i personally use the silver and with the right string setup this racquet is deadly precise and ultra forgiving.