Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   College tennis coach question (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446743)

Rktennis1 11-27-2012 04:30 PM

College tennis coach question
 
I'm currently an assistant coach for a good top 25 naia mens amd womens program. It is more about the experience than the pay. I have decided that I am going to puruse a full time coaching job come spring. .....herein lies the problem.

I was just recently offered a head coaching position on an interim basis. The team is jumping to d2, and they are going to reopen the applicant pool in june. The current coach abruptly quit. Now, as an interim i figure id have.the best chance at the job in theory. So the question would be.... leave for the uncertain future or stay put where I am and look for something more permanent. If it makes any difference my current school is much more competitive of a program, if that makes a difference in future jobs, but Im the assistant, not the "man". Also if I move id have to sell my house as well quickly.

In summary would you stay an assistant at.the strong program, then look for a head position. Or take the uncertain head position at a mediocre school?

Thanks for any sage advice.

t135 11-27-2012 06:12 PM

Depends on what the mediocre program has to offer prospective student athletes. As a former college coach, I found that you need certain things to attract decent players and build a program; besides just yourself. Figure out why they are mediocre now and decide if you have what you need to take the program up a level. Great coaches need a good platform to work from and build a program.

floridatennisdude 11-27-2012 06:14 PM

Trust your gut. It's usually right.

ga tennis 11-28-2012 08:29 AM

Take the head coaching job.

Freak4tennis 11-28-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rktennis1 (Post 7035382)
I'm currently an assistant coach for a good top 25 naia mens amd womens program. It is more about the experience than the pay. I have decided that I am going to puruse a full time coaching job come spring. .....herein lies the problem.

I was just recently offered a head coaching position on an interim basis. The team is jumping to d2, and they are going to reopen the applicant pool in june. The current coach abruptly quit. Now, as an interim i figure id have.the best chance at the job in theory. So the question would be.... leave for the uncertain future or stay put where I am and look for something more permanent. If it makes any difference my current school is much more competitive of a program, if that makes a difference in future jobs, but Im the assistant, not the "man". Also if I move id have to sell my house as well quickly.

In summary would you stay an assistant at.the strong program, then look for a head position. Or take the uncertain head position at a mediocre school?

Thanks for any sage advice.

For a number of reasons I would take the head coaching job.

1) Like you said you will be (in theory) first in line, when or even if they open the applicant pool. They simply may not if you come in and put out the effort.

2) It's going to look great on your resume either way.

3) Ask for a severance package in case they find someone else.

4) Don't sell your house. Rent it out this way you have a fall back.

Good luck.

tball2day 11-28-2012 09:42 AM

Not a coach but the path a couple friends in college coaching took always involved starting at a school that isn't as competitive and wasn't what they really wanted, then moving up to a higher ranked school, then trying to move to better divisions. You mention it is jumping to D2. For this upcoming season? Seems like there is a path in college coaching. I would think you always have to start "in the mailroom" as they say. Even if you have to look again you would be starting from a head coach position, ahead of where you are now I think.

Speaking generally and not specifically about this opportunity, I hear you about planning to look in spring, but in college coaching you need to be ready to go when you are needed and the good job comes. Both coaches I know weren't looking, were recruited and took a job and moved within a month, and it turned out good for them. Good luck!

goran_ace 11-28-2012 10:05 AM

While I do believe you need to strike while the iron is hot, make sure you really understand what you are potentially getting yourself into. Why did the former coach quit? What kind of mess would you inherit? Can it be fixed?

Rktennis1 11-28-2012 10:24 AM

Nothing to sinister as to why he left. He got offered a tennis director job in atlanta. I think the big thing is I dont want to leave my wife behind for 5 months. We ve only been married two years.

The program is at a disadvantage because currently it is underfunded, competing against fully funded schools. But that will change atleast for the women when it goes d2.

goran_ace 11-28-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rktennis1 (Post 7036446)
I think the big thing is I dont want to leave my wife behind for 5 months.

That's more important than anything else. I think you already have your answer.

That said, why not wait until June to throw your hat into the ring when it's for a permanent hire so you both can plan ahead?

tball2day 11-28-2012 04:19 PM

hmmm, just catching the leaving wife behind thing and tend to agree with Goran and the poster that mentioned follow your gut. If you don't have "peace" with going and aren't totally thrilled by the job, then why do it now? Every year there is a huge domino effect as coaches start moving, quitting, retiring. Maybe you should set your goals around a type of school/division that is realistic in attaining and something you want, and watch for it then make your move on your terms.

tennisjon 11-30-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freak4tennis (Post 7036342)
For a number of reasons I would take the head coaching job.

1) Like you said you will be (in theory) first in line, when or even if they open the applicant pool. They simply may not if you come in and put out the effort.

2) It's going to look great on your resume either way.

3) Ask for a severance package in case they find someone else.

4) Don't sell your house. Rent it out this way you have a fall back.

Good luck.

I am a college coach. I agree with the above. Don't sell your house. See if you can take a leave of absence from job #1. Find out from job #2 what they are looking for in order for you to retain the job there. If coaching full-time is what you want to do, then this is a great opportunity. You should be able to find assistant coaching positions in the future if it doesn't work out or at worst, a h.s. head coach position. You will forever have the experience of being an assistant college coach on your resume. Adding the head coaching job, even if it is interim, will make it easier to find a head coaching job in the future.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse