Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tell Me Where to Move for Best Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446798)

USS Tang 11-28-2012 10:17 AM

Tell Me Where to Move for Best Tennis

I am (hypothetically) wealthy beyond all belief; I am a retired white male, in good health, and in my mid-60s; I am also a 4.5 NTRP who plays in sanctioned USTA tournaments. I want to get a lot better by playing more tennis and in more age-bracket tournaments.
Right now, I live in the Middle Atlantic region of the U.S. What part of the country should I move to?

r2473 11-28-2012 10:27 AM

Ponce de Leon, Florida

USS Tang 11-28-2012 11:27 AM

Is that where the Fountain of Youth is?

LeeD 11-28-2012 11:36 AM

SanFrancisco.
You have money.
There is the CalClub, GoldenGateway, and SanFranciscoTennisClub all within 4 miles of each other, and 152 public tennis courts not including the 18 inside the Presidio, all public.
Within 30 miles driving distances, you have at least 15 other private indoor tennis clubs, and over 500 public tennis courts.
There are courts where you can see the GoldenGateBridge while playing, one inside the middle of Chinatown, and plenty with no view whatsoever.
HarborPoint in Belvedere is less than 10 miles away, MtTam racket club maybe 14 mile drive.
Year round tournaments, plenty of players.

El Diablo 11-28-2012 11:47 AM

People in their mid 60s don't "get a lot better by playing more tennis." They either get worse as they age or they "get a lot injured" by playing more tennis. Step one: accept reality. You're not 30. Age happens.

mikeler 11-28-2012 11:50 AM

Florida has a lot of Har Tru courts, good for old legs.

sureshs 11-28-2012 12:05 PM

Go to a tennis place with no hurricanes or earthquakes. It is called Nevada.

atatu 11-28-2012 02:07 PM

Longboat Key, Florida. Although if you are a true 4.5 you'll be better than most of the residents there, but since you're wealthy you can pay the pros in the area to hit with you.

Angle Queen 11-28-2012 04:09 PM

You're in Mid-Atlantic. Must be north of here.

I'll put in a good word for the Richmond metro area. 2-hours from DC, mountains, beaches. Vibrant tennis community including over 200 4.5 Men with an 11-team 4.5 Adult flight and a 6-team 4.5 Seniors Flight (which will prob increase with the new 40+, 55+ categories). I can hook you up...whether you're interested in a club or playing as an independent. There's even been a book written about our town's tennis.

Seriously, we have a relatively low cost of living...yet the amenities can be large.

Why are you looking to leave where you are?

EDIT to add: after noticing your UserID...I'm also highly involved with our local American Legion Post. Lot of vets around here. Your kind, sir, are welcome.

Coach Chad 11-28-2012 05:11 PM

Central Florida...Great tennis here in Orlando!

SoBad 11-28-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 7036432)
I am (hypothetically) wealthy beyond all belief; I am a retired white male, in good health, and in my mid-60s; I am also a 4.5 NTRP who plays in sanctioned USTA tournaments. I want to get a lot better by playing more tennis and in more age-bracket tournaments.
Right now, I live in the Middle Atlantic region of the U.S. What part of the country should I move to?

I would just drive around Pennsylvania and then post about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 7036537)
Is that where the Fountain of Youth is?

No, you're thinking about pomegranate vodka rocks.

UCSF2012 11-28-2012 06:44 PM

If you're in your mid 60's, your best place is in front of the TV, watching tennis.

USS Tang 11-29-2012 04:40 AM

Angle Queen, speaking of Richmond (and excuse me for playing the "name game"), at a clay court tournament last September I ran into a teaching pro formerly from Richmond.

Angle Queen 11-29-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 7037681)
...speaking of Richmond (and excuse me for playing the "name game"), at a clay court tournament last September I ran into a teaching pro formerly from Richmond.

That name is not familiar. A quick 'net check had him here in Richmond back in the 80s...and at a Club...I could never afford. I'm old (I suppose) but that was a bit before my time and certainly outa-my-league, literally.

His USTA record is amusing. Sure enough he's got a Richmond tag, but has played off-and-on for the past decade...in East Central...Ohio (where he seems to be a teaching pro at a posh CC). Maybe a mid-west snowbird? Or a recent retiree?

chrischris 11-29-2012 06:09 AM

Barcelona.

Despite :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kqyev46qyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5035TY5RSpg

Mike Bulgakov 11-29-2012 06:17 AM

San Diego is my favourite area in the U.S. for tennis. It has great weather and many quality free courts. La Costa, a great place for tennis, use to have a WTA tournament; unfortunately, now it is more recognized for being near a tourist destination made of legos.

sureshs 11-29-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Bulgakov (Post 7037780)
San Diego is my favourite area in the U.S. for tennis. It has great weather and many quality free courts. La Costa, a great place for tennis, use to have a WTA tournament

It still has.

http://www.mercuryinsuranceopen.com/

sureshs 11-29-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 7037224)
If you're in your mid 60's, your best place is in front of the TV, watching tennis.

Life begins at 60 these days.

GS 11-29-2012 06:45 AM

I'm a 4.5 and almost 60, so I've been looking around for a great location, too. I'm convinced it's Hilton Head, S.C. Tons of claycourts, and lots of inter-club tournaments. The weather is alittle more moderate than Florida in the summer, and it's only been hit by a hurricane once in the past 100 years.

Angle Queen 11-29-2012 06:55 AM

HH is a nice spot, indeed. Plenty of amenities and appropriate COL.

But be forewarned, the summers are hot. And humid. SW heat does not translate into what we experience here in the SE. It's a different animal entirely. You do get used to it (I think, I'm a been-here) but it will, literally, take your breath away at times. Good luck with your adventure. We should all be so lucky (and skilled) to have the ability to choose a good retirement time and spot.