Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fish out of AO. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446828)

Paul Murphy 11-28-2012 04:08 PM

Fish out of AO.
 
No good news for Mardy Fish which is a shame - he's one of the nicer guys on tour.
Not sure if I'd keep playing if I had heart problems.

From tennis.com:

Mardy Fish will miss the 2013 Australian Open as he continues to recover from heart trouble, Reuters reports. Fish’s agent, John Tobias, told Reuters that the American is improving and hopes to return to the ATP tour in February at the SAP Open in San Jose, California.

Earlier on Wednesday, Fish also pulled out of the tournament in Auckland, New Zealand, which begins on January 7.

Fish, 30, has been struggling with heart problems since early this spring and has not competed since the first week of the U.S. Open. He pulled out of his fourth-round match at Flushing Meadows against Roger Federer.

Fish was hoping to come back and play exhibitions this month, but apparently isn’t feeling well enough to do so.

Clarky21 11-28-2012 04:22 PM

Sucks for Mardy. Hopefully he can get his health back on track and get back out there.

sureshs 11-28-2012 04:28 PM

Can some doctor chime in? Can a person with persistent heart issues ever do any intense physical activity in a safe manner?

Razoredge 11-28-2012 04:29 PM

Think it's safe to say Fish is done for good. He had a decent career.

LaneMyer 11-28-2012 05:53 PM

There are active professional athletes who compete with heart disorders. Mario Lemieux had an atrial fibrillation which did later force him into retirement along with cancer. Eddie Curry has an irregular heartbeat, as did Reggie Lewis who of course later died on a practice court. Recent US Olympic gold medalist swimmer Dana Vollmer has a genetic heart condition. I guess it depends on how serious Mardy's condition is.

Crisstti 11-28-2012 06:19 PM

Strange (or maybe not) how he developed this condition it would appear suddenly. How come he didn't seem to have any problems before?.

A pity really.

SStrikerR 11-28-2012 06:19 PM

Depends on the condition. If his is something that could be life threatening under intense stress, then no, I don't think he should keep playing.

fundrazer 11-28-2012 06:27 PM

Fish one of the nicer guys on tour? No... Can't always listen to what the knucklehead commentators tell you.

I used to be a fan of Mardy, that is until I saw the real Mardy. His outburst against Mathieu and threatening to "kick his ***." Taunting Gasquet in another match. The incident with Tsonga with Mardy saying "I don't speak French dumbass."

The Moonballer 11-28-2012 06:41 PM

That is unfortunate. Too bad Fatbutt Nadal is playing and Fish isn't. Fish has great offensive tennis

Crisstti 11-28-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fundrazer (Post 7037192)
Fish one of the nicer guys on tour? No... Can't always listen to what the knucklehead commentators tell you.

I used to be a fan of Mardy, that is until I saw the real Mardy. His outburst against Mathieu and threatening to "kick his ***." Taunting Gasquet in another match. The incident with Tsonga with Mardy saying "I don't speak French dumbass."

I remember also in the match against Nadal in Cincinnati last year, he didn't shake the hand of the guy (from the crowd, he's done the coin toss I believe) and just left him there with his hand extended...

Nothing terrible anyway.

Sabratha 11-28-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisstti (Post 7037182)
Strange (or maybe not) how he developed this condition it would appear suddenly. How come he didn't seem to have any problems before?.

A pity really.

Sometimes these conditions can rear their ugly head later in life (20s-30s), but generally you're born with the condition and don't find out about it until something extreme happens, like Mardy with his fast heart beat.

I hope Mardy makes a full recovery and can get back to playing tennis soon, but if not, I hope he makes a full recovery anyway and lives his life to the fullest.

90's Clay 11-28-2012 07:06 PM

He had a good career. Never would have thought he would do as well as he did. I think he should retire though. A heart issue is nothing to play around with in this game.

rocketassist 11-28-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoredge (Post 7037219)
Yes a pity but he's had an okay career. Of course he will always be viewed as a failure by the American media and public but it doesn't matter.

The Americans think everyone should be as good as Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe or Connors. Doesn't work that way. That's why despite Roddick's excellent career, he's under-appreciated.

90's Clay 11-28-2012 07:10 PM

Roddick's career was "excellent?" Define "excellent" please.

I dont think too many of us are expecting too many americans to come along and do what Sampras and Agassi did but it wouldn't hurt to see some guys win a handful of slams at least and be bigger threats then they were. I fully expected to see a couple of guys pick up the torch and win 4-5 slams anyways. I would have expected to see a few "Couriers" at least. Not 1 slam between ALL of them

Sabratha 11-28-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7037270)
Roddick's career was "excellent?" Define "excellent" please.

Winning a major, reaching #1, having a consistent and long career in the top ten, only slipping out of it the last couple of years before he retired.

90's Clay 11-28-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 7037271)
Winning a major, reaching #1, having a consistent and long career in the top ten, only slipping out of it the last couple of years before he retired.

Thats "good". I don't know I would call it "excellent" though

rocketassist 11-28-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7037270)
Roddick's career was "excellent?" Define "excellent" please.

I dont think too many of us are expecting too many americans to come along and do what Sampras and Agassi did but it wouldn't hurt to see some guys win a handful of slams at least and be bigger threats then they were. I fully expected to see a couple of guys pick up the torch and win 4-5 slams anyways. I would have expected to see a few "Couriers" at least. Not 1 slam between ALL of them

Of course it's excellent. A grand slam, 4 other finals, #1 ranking and a Davis Cup win he contributed massively to (not like Boredo who vultured a winners medal)

After 2005 his forehand regressed and he became more of a rallier/pusher/tactician type player, possibly adapting to where the game was heading.

Any career with a grand slam title is an excellent one, is it not?

90's Clay 11-28-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketassist (Post 7037280)
Of course it's excellent. A grand slam, 4 other finals, #1 ranking and a Davis Cup win he contributed massively to (not like Boredo who vultured a winners medal)

After 2005 his forehand regressed and he became more of a rallier/pusher/tactician type player, possibly adapting to where the game was heading.

Any career with a grand slam title is an excellent one, is it not?

Compared to what people projected out of Roddick's career? No.. Many thought he would have a "Jim Courier-like" career at the very least.. Not one slam

rocketassist 11-28-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7037282)
Compared to what people projected out of Roddick's career? No..

He got more out of what he had than the infinitely more talented Safin and Nalbandian did (although Safin's resume still trumps his)

He had a great serve in his prime and a great forehand till 2006 but no plan B- his slice wasn't great, his volleys average and his backhand ordinary. Americans overhyped him cause of their past great players.

He did very well with what he had. Had Federer not played probably the highest level of tennis I've ever seen over a three-year period, he would have had even more.

90's Clay 11-28-2012 07:23 PM

A huge serve and FH could take you a long ways 7-8 years ago.. He also blew some big matches (even against Fed) he very well could have won or was certainly in position to.

He did well for what he had.. But he had many chances to do more.

I certainly never expected only ONE slam for the guy regardless of how overall limited he was. I expected 3-4 at the very least. Even with Roger around

The way I see it.. If guys like Tsonga and Berdych and Soderling could take Fed out a slam, I see NO REASON Why Roddick shouldn't have at least a couple of times. He also played Fed enough to where he should have worked on some things (some different strategies) to beat him.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse