Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Getting Disqualified (DQ'd) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446841)

Jakes On A Plane 11-28-2012 06:34 PM

Getting Disqualified (DQ'd)

I'm sure this has been brought up in some capacity before, but is there any sort of human action that goes into a player get DQ'd? Or is it just the computer scoring system that decides??

I ask this, because of one instance about a year and a half ago during our 4.0 men's adult league season. Here is the back story: There were 3 teams vying for the local title. There is my team, the Champs, (Team A), the runner-up (Team B), and the 3rd place team (Team C).

About 2/3rds of the way through the season, Team C was already out of contention. The captains of Teams C and B had never gotten along, and that year, Team B ended up with a self-rater on the team. This guy was good and was undefeated at that point. None of the scores were blowouts, but some of the players on Team C, including the captain, swear they saw him tanking games on purpose. This got Team C's captain pretty angry.

So anyways, one evening, Team A had a match against the 4th place team, while Teams B and C were playing their final regular season match. Randomly there was a local official out there watching the self-rater play. He wasn't officiating the match, but kept alternating viewpoints between right next to court and from the bleachers two courts away. It was kind of sketchy, I thought. This official was also friends with the captain of Team C.

The very next day, the self-rater was DQ'd. One of Team B's matches reversed to a loss, and we (Team A) finished Team B off two days later in our final regular season match.

I just thought this event was kind of weird, and a little sketchy, so I thought I'd ask the question.

Thanks,
Jakes

dizzlmcwizzl 11-28-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakes On A Plane (Post 7037202)
I'm sure this has been brought up in some capacity before, but is there any sort of human action that goes into a player get DQ'd? Or is it just the computer scoring system that decides??

I ask this, because of one instance about a year and a half ago during our 4.0 men's adult league season. Here is the back story: There were 3 teams vying for the local title. There is my team, the Champs, (Team A), the runner-up (Team B), and the 3rd place team (Team C).

About 2/3rds of the way through the season, Team C was already out of contention. The captains of Teams C and B had never gotten along, and that year, Team B ended up with a self-rater on the team. This guy was good and was undefeated at that point. None of the scores were blowouts, but some of the players on Team C, including the captain, swear they saw him tanking games on purpose. This got Team C's captain pretty angry.

So anyways, one evening, Team A had a match against the 4th place team, while Teams B and C were playing their final regular season match. Randomly there was a local official out there watching the self-rater play. He wasn't officiating the match, but kept alternating viewpoints between right next to court and from the bleachers two courts away. It was kind of sketchy, I thought. This official was also friends with the captain of Team C.

The very next day, the self-rater was DQ'd. One of Team B's matches reversed to a loss, and we (Team A) finished Team B off two days later in our final regular season match.

I just thought this event was kind of weird, and a little sketchy, so I thought I'd ask the question.

Thanks,
Jakes

This sounds way fishy to me. I gotta believe there is other information out there you are unaware of.

Any who, there used to be officials that would watch match play and DQ right on the spot, maybe 10 years ago. Right now I think it is 100% computer based and a roving random official would have no right or ability to DQ someone based on inspection.

gmatheis 11-28-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7037220)
This sounds way fishy to me. I gotta believe there is other information out there you are unaware of.

Any who, there used to be officials that would watch match play and DQ right on the spot, maybe 10 years ago. Right now I think it is 100% computer based and a roving random official would have no right or ability to DQ someone based on inspection.

I'm not so sure about that, I was under the impression that a USTA official could do something like this.

Maybe Woodrow or some one with actual knowledge will clear this up.

And even if the official was a friend of team C's captain and was there watching at his request, if the guy was indeed a sandbagger then I don't see anything sketchy about that.

Jakes On A Plane 11-28-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7037375)
And even if the official was a friend of team C's captain and was there watching at his request, if the guy was indeed a sandbagger then I don't see anything sketchy about that.

He was a top notch player for 4.0 singles. He beat our #1 in two close sets. Everybody on the team wanted him DQ'd and some were wanting to file a grievance/challenge; whatever that process is...I was honestly ok with him playing for 4.0. He was good, but beatable.

nkbond 11-29-2012 03:13 AM

Sure, a grievance may be filed on a self-rate. You have to provide a valid and compelling argument to be successful. Happens most frequently as teams head into post-season play and find ringers on potential opposing teams.

Alchemy-Z 11-29-2012 03:25 AM

Never during league but I've been in a tournament where the court beside me had an official walk out on the court stop play and DQ the guy right there and give the match to the other guy.

they were playing 3.0 and he was crushing it like a 4.0

wrxinsc 11-29-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkbond (Post 7037607)
Sure, a grievance may be filed on a self-rate. You have to provide a valid and compelling argument to be successful. Happens most frequently as teams head into post-season play and find ringers on potential opposing teams.

agreed - and such a grievance would need to be related to the player in question lying about their specific experience during self rating or past usta playing experience, etc. and you need 'proof' in order for the district or section coordinator to consider it. proof might be a record of that player on a college team or the like and the player in question didn't recognize that in their self rating.

JLyon 11-29-2012 06:40 AM

that is not right, there are no longer verifiers, so a grievance would have had to be filed and the captain given a chance to respond. Further the captain would get a letter if the player was Dynamically DQ'ed. So call BS

10sjunkie 11-29-2012 06:40 AM

Doesnt' sounds sketchy. He probably received his 3rd strike from that match and when the computer ran the ratings that night, he was issue his dq the next day. A grievance would have taken a lot longer than just a few hours, no matter who filed it.

woodrow1029 11-29-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

I'm not so sure about that, I was under the impression that a USTA official could do something like this.

Maybe Woodrow or some one with actual knowledge will clear this up.

Umpires have nothing at all to do with DQ's for level of play. That's all done at the USTA level.

NTRPolice 11-29-2012 04:33 PM

USTA quite is like the "mafia".

There is (still) a lot more "human influence" than I think is needed. I understand the importance of a human "override" but its ability to be abused is still there.

I've seen really strange things happen within the USTA and these things are not just NTRP related.

The only thing I can tell you is to "challenge" the DQ. A lot of these "section heroes" will do whatever they want because they are often not challenged. Think of it as a cop potentially abusing his/her power. Take it to the "internal affairs" department, or even higher if needed.

"League admins" and "higher" are closed circle groups.

goober 11-29-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

USTA haven't done visual DQs in years. I heard they use to be able to DQ them on the spot at Nationals and sectionals, but that was a long time ago. Now the party line is you have to have proof of higher level play- like college or high junior level ranking and even that is easily worked around once you get into the system and get your C rating. I have never seen a USTA official come out to watch a regular league season match to assess a self rater. I would say that is very unusual.

JoelDali 11-29-2012 05:37 PM

These are the folks that decide DQs in the Atlantic Region.

Pickle9 12-02-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelDali (Post 7038867)
These are the folks that decide DQs in the Atlantic Region.

no that was the jury for OJ's criminal trial

JoelDali 12-02-2012 03:21 PM

No. Those are the ratings blockers. Atlantic region.

USTA Straw Hat GOATs.

Pickle9 12-04-2012 05:21 AM

Blocked!

10goat