Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Polyfibre Panthera (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446858)

alexwawrinka 11-29-2012 04:19 AM

Polyfibre Panthera

Anyone has tried the new Polyfibre string " Panthera" ?

Boricua 11-29-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexwawrinka (Post 7037663)
Anyone has tried the new Polyfibre string " Panthera" ?

No, but cool case.

Torres 11-29-2012 05:17 AM

Amazing color. Though it remains the case that Polyfibre seem to be intent on giving their strings meaningless names that don't give any indication of the string characteristics eg. Viper, Cobra, Panthera.

mikeler 11-29-2012 05:58 AM

Very nice packaging.

pvaudio 11-29-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7037718)
Amazing color. Though it remains the case that Polyfibre seem to be intent on giving their strings meaningless names that don't give any indication of the string characteristics eg. Viper, Cobra, Panthera.

I seriously just shook my head when I saw the name and said "are you kidding me, another one?". There is no way they are making loads of money with like 10 different polys, each in 4 gauges.

pvaudio 11-29-2012 06:49 AM

Good lord, I was exaggerating, but they do make 10:

1.Panthera
2. Viper
3. Black Venom
4. Black Venom Rough
5. Cobra
6. TCS
7. TCS Rapid
8. Hexablade
9. Poly Hitec
10. Hitec Premium

Overall, the gauges they provide poly in is:

Poly Hitec is available in all of the above except 1.18. That's just too many strings, how are they making money?

pvaudio 11-29-2012 06:54 AM

Panthera

It is time to play with the ferocity of a panther and the cunning of this big cat. Polyfibre Panthera incorporates the characteristics you need for this aggressive style of play. Its crisp, precise feel imparts the needed control and touch that compliments drop shots that drop hard and corner shots that your opponent has no chance of returning. It is a hard hitting string when you need to rely on forceful forehands, backhands and volley put aways. The combination of two different polyester materials has resulted in a technological advancement that gives Panthera a tacky characteristic: The string actually grips the ball for optimal spin control. Panthera is easy on the arm and hard on the competition. Our unique Standardized Molecular Distribution (SMD) technology insures you will get the tension maintenance, durability and dampening qualities that are the hallmark of our high performance strings.

http://www.polyfibre.com/tennis_panthera.html

At random, I have chosen the following:

Viper

Players will immediately notice the high shock-absorbing qualities of this string. Polyfibre Viper provides amazing touch, control and precision coupled with maximum power. Polyfibre engineers have applied the newly developed SMD (Standardized Molecular Distribution) technology together with a corona coating to further enhance the quality of this string. Each molecule is reformed and realigned into a highly bonded, selectively cross-linked molecular structure; molecules are well arranged and distributed throughout the entire string body which is specifically designed to outperform competitors in elasticity, repulsive power and durability. The string's surface structure provides fantastic spin potential as well as preventing string slippage and the added comfort factor will sustain players through long matches as it is easy on the arm and highly durable. This is a great string for advanced and professional players who like to be in control of their game at all times and still want that extra power when they need it.
http://www.polyfibre.com/tennis_viper.html

As Torres said, their names are of no help to let you decide when their own descriptions describe the same strings.

Doubles 11-29-2012 07:45 AM

Panthera sounds like something out of thundercats...

Automatix 11-29-2012 08:14 AM

I'm currently testing the 1,20mm gauge.
The color is actually a translucent red.

Torres 11-29-2012 08:40 AM

If those descriptions are anything to go by, Polyfibre need a new marketing department. Nice packaging but what does playing like a panther mean?

Automatix 11-30-2012 04:12 AM

Many strings have names that mean absolutely zilch.

Tecnifibre... Red Code, Black Code, X.Code. The only one different from them is Ruff Code which refers to the surface, but the others?

Now as for the "Panthera" string. It is different, it's not another Viper or Black Venom.

Torres 11-30-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatix (Post 7039376)
Tecnifibre... Red Code, Black Code, X.Code. The only one different from them is Ruff Code which refers to the surface, but the others?

Well....

Black Code - its black
Red Code - its red
X Code - has an unusual construction, a certain 'X' factor in its manufacturing.
Ruff Code - has a rough surface.

mmk 11-30-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7037898)
Panthera sounds like something out of thundercats...

My first thought was Brian Fantana's cologne in Anchorman

Automatix 11-30-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7039385)
Black Code - its black
Red Code - its red
X Code - has an unusual construction, a certain 'X' factor in its manufacturing.

And as stated previously, it doesn't give you any useful info.

Red, Black? Please! ...

Other examples Signum Pro Poly Plasma, MSV Co-Focus, Babolat Revenge, Gosen Super Tec AK Pro. Just to name a few.

Names of numerous strings regardless of manufacturer don't give info. They're a name which in the marketing view needs to attract attention.
The name should be catchy etc.

The sad part is that this thread is getting derailed by nonsense... rate the string, not its name.

fgs 11-30-2012 04:47 AM

torres,

with this string you will play like mecir, also known as "the cat". your agility will be breathtaking - of course that has nothing to do with your strokes, but with this string you will finally set up your feet properly to top atp levels, although passed. nevertheless, it would be a huge benefit once you get into proper striking position. when you feel like a panther on the prowl your opponent, read prey, will never know what struck it, so you don't really need any shots anymore - you sure make victims. when you play with panther like a panther not many will dare to challenge you.:)

scotus 11-30-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatix (Post 7037952)
I'm currently testing the 1,20mm gauge.
The color is actually a translucent red.

How about a review when you're finished testing?

Automatix 12-01-2012 12:56 AM

Yeah, no problem. Still this string is not my cup of tee.
As I stated previously it's not a Viper or Black Venom clone, which I like the most out of the whole offer.

I'm testing a full Panthera 1,20mm setup, Panthera 1,20 in the mains with Omni in the crosses... and will probably test a setup of Panthera 1,25mm in the mains and Black Venom 1,15mm in the crosses, even though I'm not a fan of mixing polys.

scotus 12-01-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatix (Post 7041063)
Yeah, no problem. Still this string is not my cup of tee.
As I stated previously it's not a Viper or Black Venom clone, which I like the most out of the whole offer.

I'm testing a full Panthera 1,20mm setup, Panthera 1,20 in the mains with Omni in the crosses... and will probably test a setup of Panthera 1,25mm in the mains and Black Venom 1,15mm in the crosses, even though I'm not a fan of mixing polys.

Let me know what aspect of the string you don't like.

I'd appreciate a review of Black Venom as well. It is supposed to be a very soft poly, which intrigues me.

Thanks!

Automatix 12-01-2012 06:52 AM

I don't like polys with crisp feel. I prefer a really soft, cushy almost mushy feel from strings. And Panthera is a crisp feeling poly, although not uncomfortable it's just not up my alley.

Although Panthera is a control oriented string it still offers ample power.
A full Panthera setup is for bigger hitters who want to retain control but have a bit of a boost in the power department.

As for Black Venom, it is one of my favourite polys.
Dynamic, comfortable, soft, nice spin but I hit flat so not the best to judge.
My go to poly, so to speak.

bad_call 12-01-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatix (Post 7039416)
And as stated previously, it doesn't give you any useful info.

Red, Black? Please! ...

Other examples Signum Pro Poly Plasma, MSV Co-Focus, Babolat Revenge, Gosen Super Tec AK Pro. Just to name a few.

Names of numerous strings regardless of manufacturer don't give info. They're a name which in the marketing view needs to attract attention.
The name should be catchy etc.

The sad part is that this thread is getting derailed by nonsense... rate the string, not its name.

^ agreed. don't rate the name...unless u feel the need.