Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Donnay X-Platinum 94 = Magic (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446861)

Kal-El 34 11-29-2012 04:57 AM

Donnay X-Platinum 94 = Magic

I have been tinkering around with this bad boy for a few weeks now and have fallen back in love with the thin beamed monster. I do not know why this was not put into production.

It literally almost feels like I am cheating while using this racket. The control is amazing, feel is spot on, and nice access to power. It shares the same black hexagonal grommets that the x-black 94 uses, but is 330g unstrung, an a lot more flexible than the black.

A few close up shots:

Power Player 11-29-2012 05:07 AM

Platinum is an awesome stick. The butt caps got loose and vibrated the entire frame pretty badly, but they played great.

Kal-El 34 11-29-2012 05:57 AM

yea i have noticed that with the x-series from time to time. either a small piece of rolled tape or crazy glue it in there and problem solved.

corners 11-29-2012 07:21 AM

Kal-El, I recall you played the X-Dual Platinum 94 for some time. What's the difference between the production X-Dual and this unreleased X version?

jjs891 11-29-2012 08:01 AM

Kal-El

Are you still liking the Angell or sticking with pro one?

What's your main stick at this time? Just curious. Thanks.

cluckcluck 11-29-2012 08:12 AM

I have a couple of the X-Dark Red 94s...it's insane how perfect it feels. I just wish they kept making the thin beams and small head size.

Mongolmike 11-29-2012 08:38 AM

That is a nice looking racquet...especially with the leather grip, wow.

tennisfreak73 11-29-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal-El 34 (Post 7037700)
I have been tinkering around with this bad boy for a few weeks now and have fallen back in love with the thin beamed monster. I do not know why this was not put into production.

It literally almost feels like I am cheating while using this racket. The control is amazing, feel is spot on, and nice access to power. It shares the same black hexagonal grommets that the x-black 94 uses, but is 330g unstrung, an a lot more flexible than the black.

have you tried the silver? if so how does it stack up? i've been using the silver for a couple months now and absolutely love it. tons of control, pin point precision, and decent plow through. if you use a powerful string setup you can definitely control it.

Kal-El 34 11-29-2012 11:28 AM

yes i still enjoy the angell frame... really nice playing stick

i have been using the pro one for some time now and got the x-platinum as just something to throw in the bag...

then i hit with it :) it's a little more flexible than the dual platinum, which i already liked..

put it this way... it's everything i liked about the x, the dual, and the pro all mixed into one stick...

as far as comparing the the silver there is no comparison. the silver is lighter, and more powerful by a long shot. the x-platinum is a heavy beast at 330. it swings easy though as most of the weight is in the handle it seems. very agile at the net, and beautiful playing.

corners 11-29-2012 02:35 PM

Kal-El, why did Donnay pull the X line and replace it with the X Dual? The X line got such positive reviews it's puzzling why they would so quickly replace it.

Arthuro 11-30-2012 05:11 AM

Yeah the X platinum was a great racquet. Soft, great touch and lots of push through.

niremetal 11-30-2012 07:21 AM

Kal-El, is that Zo Twist on the mains?

Kal-El 34 11-30-2012 08:16 AM

i too wondered why they pulled the x series so quickly. the duals are a nice line too though. i much prefer the cosmetics of the x series though.

the platinums pictures are strung with luxilon 4g mains / donnay co poly crosses. actually a rather nice playing combo

Matchball 01-10-2013 09:06 AM

I saw this on the Donnay shop.

The SW does not make sense - everything else looks sweet.
Can you comment on the swingweight? Is the frame stable and the ball heavy enough?

Matchball 01-10-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthuro (Post 7039455)
Yeah the X platinum was a great racquet. Soft, great touch and lots of push through.

Arthuro, can you compare the plow through with another frame..?
Thanks !

corners 01-10-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal-El 34 (Post 7039742)
i too wondered why they pulled the x series so quickly. the duals are a nice line too though. i much prefer the cosmetics of the x series though.

the platinums pictures are strung with luxilon 4g mains / donnay co poly crosses. actually a rather nice playing combo

I agree regarding the cosmetics. The only thing negative about the X series paint is that it's so glossy that even tiny scratches show quite a bit. I imagine that after even a year of serious play they would appear matte.

I find the dual line to be too muted. The X series had a nice crispness to it.

paul_tennis 01-10-2013 11:12 AM

I've never tried a Donnay and I'm considering trying the X-Platinium 94.

Kal-El How does it compares to the K90 in the feel department?

corners 01-10-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_tennis (Post 7110061)
I've never tried a Donnay and I'm considering trying the X-Platinium 94.

Notice that Kal-El is talking about the X Platinum in this thread, a racquet that was ever released to the public. The X-Dual Platinum is the one now on the market. (Kal-El liked that frame too and wrote a pretty glowing review about it.)

Quote:

Kal-El How does it compares to the K90 in the feel department?
I'm interested in that comparison too.

paul_tennis 01-10-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7110251)
Notice that Kal-El is talking about the X Platinum in this thread, a racquet that was ever released to the public.

Yes but if you make a deep search on the web you can find them brand new :)
And I'm still looking forward Kal-El answer!

Arthuro 01-10-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchball (Post 7109904)
Arthuro, can you compare the plow through with another frame..?
Thanks !

Sure...I think it is one of the top flex and comfort racquets I have played with. I decided to not go with Donnay only after I got sponsored, so compared to:

1. The Wilson K Blade Tour: The Donnay has more plow through and better touch by far. You don't have the pop feeling of the wilson frames, but it pockets and accelerates much better in my opinion.

2. The Prince 2009 Rebel: This is a close call. The Donnay has a better stock feel with the leather and solidness of the frame. With about 8 grams of lead, the Prince stick rose to the challenge, but the feel of the Donnay was superior.

3. The Prince 2012 Rebel: Same as the 2009. If find that the specs I have now with the Exo3 ports gives me more HL advantage, more spin, etc, but again the Donnay outperforms stock.

Overall: The Donnay is a superior stock frame and customization is easy because of the grommets and but caps. When I posted about them 2 years ago, there was not much interest. I was actually trying to sell one really cheap, but no interest. I think this racquet will inevitably be the one that got away because it is a great frame. I looks gorgeous, and plays like a soft and solid players racquet.