Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Will Ralph win AO 2013? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446866)

monfed 11-29-2012 08:13 AM

Will Ralph win AO 2013?
 
He came within an inch of beating Djokovic plus Ralph's game perfectly suits the slow HC of AO where he can keep sending balls back till the cows come home.:lol:
I can't see Fed or Murray stopping him if he gets back to form(and we've seen how he gets back to form in like 2 matches,weird isnt it?). Murray hasnt quite convinced me of his mental strength yet after capitulating post USO.

I think it could be a repeat of this year's final only this time Ralph takes it. I think Ralph is the co-favourite with Djokovic,what are your thoughts on the matter?

Mike Sams 11-29-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7037856)
He came within an inch of beating Djokovic plus Ralph's game perfectly suits the slow HC of AO where he can keep sending balls back till the cows come home.:lol:
I can't see Fed or Murray stopping him if he gets back to form(and we've seen how he gets back to form in like 2 matches,weird isnt it?). Murray hasnt quite convinced me of his mental strength yet after capitulating post USO.

I think it could be a repeat of this year's final only this time Ralph takes it. I think Ralph is the co-favourite with Djokovic,what are your thoughts on the matter?

There are only so many comebacks one can make before things just start to get tougher and tougher. Last I checked, Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro all have been extremely active while Nadal has been on the shelf. Furthermore, they all share a common trait. They've all crushed Nadal in Slams and they've all won Slams and they're all younger than Nadal and have far less wear and tear on their bodies. Nadal's going to have to EARN anything he gets with these guys around who are improving and getting stronger mentally. These are his main foes and Nadal hasn't had much success trying to beat Murray and Djokovic back to back. Just to beat 1 of them takes a formidable effort...try beating the both of them. Even Federer struggles to beat them back to back.

Monsieur_DeLarge 11-29-2012 08:33 AM

Given your avatar and comment history, I'll presume this is just a jinx thread.

But if you're serious? I can't see him coming back to form so soon after such an extended layoff. He's surprised me before with his 2010 successes after missing Wimbledon the previous year, but that was nothing like as long a break, and his opposition are all playing better now than three years ago. Remember too that Rafa's only ever won the AO once before ~ yet you're talking like it's almost a foregone conclusion...? :rolleyes:

My gut feeling is a quarter-final defeat if he gets an unkind draw (e.g. an in-form JMDP), or a run to the semis if he's paired against someone like Berdych.


Regards,
MDL

President 11-29-2012 08:34 AM

Stop making these awful threads and posts OP, you are disgracing Federer fans and your country, not to mention yourself... :?

Mike Sams 11-29-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsieur_DeLarge (Post 7037877)
Given your avatar and comment history, I'll presume this is just a jinx thread.

But if you're serious? I can't see him coming back to form so soon after such an extended layoff. He's surprised me before with his 2010 successes after missing Wimbledon the previous year, but that was nothing like as long a break, and his opposition are all playing better now than three years ago. Remember too that Rafa's only ever won the AO once before ~ yet you're talking like it's almost a foregone conclusion...? :rolleyes:

My gut feeling is a quarter-final defeat if he gets an unkind draw (e.g. an in-form JMDP), or a run to the semis if he's paired against someone like Berdych.


Regards,
MDL

People seem to disregard the fact that Nadal was 1 point away from going down 2 sets to love against Berdych in their AO quarterfinal match this year. Nadal had to save a set point or he'd have been in a real mess. Berdych isn't as easy a matchup as people tend to think. Nothing less than Nadal's best will get it done if Berdych is in form. Obviously the AO hardcourts suit Nadal's game much much better than Berdych's game.

monfed 11-29-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President (Post 7037878)
Stop making these awful threads and posts OP, you are disgracing Federer fans and your country, not to mention yourself... :?

If you have nothing constructive to contribute please leave the thread,kthx!

Sabratha 11-29-2012 08:57 AM

Nadal will make the quarters, maybe the semifinals.

beast of mallorca 11-29-2012 09:12 AM

**** will win the AO 2013, beating Fred in the finals. Ralf will not even reach the second round (I swear I'm not Clarky)

sbengte 11-29-2012 09:14 AM

Duh , what is the matter with you OP ? Ralph has AO 2013 in the bag . The only suspense is if he will win the CYGS or not next year.

vive le beau jeu ! 11-29-2012 09:40 AM

3
2
1
until dudeski writes:
"3
2
1
until clarky writes the nadal won't even be able to win his 1st round match."

;)


may clarky be right. :)

batz 11-29-2012 10:13 AM

You can get up to 9/1 for him if you do think he'll win it.

batz 11-29-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7037856)
He came within an inch of beating Djokovic plus Ralph's game perfectly suits the slow HC of AO where he can keep sending balls back till the cows come home.:lol:
I can't see Fed or Murray stopping him if he gets back to form(and we've seen how he gets back to form in like 2 matches,weird isnt it?). Murray hasnt quite convinced me of his mental strength yet after capitulating post USO.

I think it could be a repeat of this year's final only this time Ralph takes it. I think Ralph is the co-favourite with Djokovic,what are your thoughts on the matter?

Let me get this right - what happened after the USO in best of 3 tournaments was more of an indicator of Murray's mental strength in relation to the Australian Open than his USO win and his best of 5 win over Roger in the OG final - have I got that right?

psYcon 11-29-2012 10:18 AM

Who coined the term Ralph for Nadal?? Was it Brad Gilbert?

monfed 11-29-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 7038058)
Let me get this right - what happened after the USO in best of 3 tournaments was more of an indicator of Murray's mental strength in relation to the Australian Open than his USO win and his best of 5 win over Roger in the OG final - have I got that right?

Can you remind me of the number of MPs Murray squandered after winning USO? I've lost count..

90's Clay 11-29-2012 10:22 AM

I doubt it... Thats asking a lot Hes been off for 6 months and to ask him to come in and win the Australian after that much time with very little preparation and very little match play.

If he was only off for a month or two, sure. But since last summer, thats a long time

Razoredge 11-29-2012 10:25 AM

I think Nadal will play at a whole new level in 2013, I don't think Murray/Djokovic will be able to stop him. Most likely Prime Federer would be the only person that's able to stop 2013 Nadal, too bad he's gone.

Alchemy-Z 11-29-2012 10:30 AM

people keep talking about time off and how he might not come back.

I heard the same things said when Agassi had is bad 1993 and was off the tour for a long period.

batz 11-29-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7038069)
Can you remind me of the number of MPs Murray squandered after winning USO? I've lost count..

He had 8 and squandered about half of them. So - back to the question I asked - you think that these missed match points in best of 3 matches have more of a bearing on Murray's chances of winning the AO than his USO and OG wins? Really?

NatF 11-29-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 7038058)
Let me get this right - what happened after the USO in best of 3 tournaments was more of an indicator of Murray's mental strength in relation to the Australian Open than his USO win and his best of 5 win over Roger in the OG final - have I got that right?

Andy showed great mental strength in the USO final by stopping Novak's come back. But his demolishing of Roger in the Gold Medal match wasn't really one which required mental strength. Andy was in dominating form and Roger was lackluster, he didn't need to be particularly strong to win that day. I think the way he fought during some of those long games versus Roger in the Wimbledon final were far more impressive. That 20 minute game really showed what he was made of in my opinion.

batz 11-29-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatF (Post 7038105)
Andy showed great mental strength in the USO final by stopping Novak's come back. But his demolishing of Roger in the Gold Medal match wasn't really one which required mental strength. Andy was in dominating form and Roger was lackluster, he didn't need to be particularly strong to win that day. I think the way he fought during some of those long games versus Roger in the Wimbledon final were far more impressive. That 20 minute game really showed what he was made of in my opinion.

I get where you are coming from mate, but he was 0-3 in best of 5 matches against his opponent. He was reduced to tears by the same opponent, on the same court, in front of millions of people just 4 weeks earlier. IMO it takes a bit of mental strength to come back from that.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse