Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Would Federer be better than Messi if he chose to play football? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446905)

Razoredge 11-29-2012 01:02 PM

Would Federer be better than Messi if he chose to play football?

We all know Federer was a football prodigy before playing tennis, do you think he would've been a GOAT player had he chose to play football? Better than Lionel Messi?

forzamilan90 11-29-2012 01:13 PM

What position did Fed play back in the day? Question only applies if attacking midfield/striker position.

Razoredge 11-29-2012 01:15 PM

Pretty sure he was a striker.

forzamilan90 11-29-2012 01:19 PM

Probably not as a good as Messi, more like Heskey level

dominikk1985 11-29-2012 02:37 PM

He certainly would have been good with his talent as would nadal but you have to consider that the talent pool in soccer is way larger. A tennis career from age 5-18 costs more than half a million dollars (coaches, travel...) so it is still a rich mens sport.

and we all know that most superior athletes come from a poor background (like all the runners, basketball and football players...). this is because there are more of them but also because they have more need to succeed. probably there are a lot of soccer players out there who would have the talent to be better tennis players then fed and nadal.

Maybe fed would have been as good as messi but the chance is equally high that he would only be a bench striker in some first league club. I'm not sure if his speed is enough to be as good as messi or ronaldo. he is super quick and moves great but we would need to see how fast he is in a 60 feet sprint.

TMF 11-29-2012 04:25 PM

Federer can be a great soccer player but to expect him to be as great as Messi is highly unlikely, let alone better. And Messi wouldn't be a great tennis player(too small) had he chose to play tennis. They both are great in their own sport, however, Federer is more dominant in tennis than Messi is in soccer. Very few athletes were more dominant than Federer(ie Gretzky, Rice)

sureshs 11-29-2012 04:44 PM

This guy would have done great

ATXtennisaddict 11-29-2012 04:44 PM

Messi could've been slam dunk champ if he only played basketball.

Francis27 11-29-2012 05:01 PM

I saw Rafa doing some football tricks with Ronaldo on a commerical for nike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_wJR1I-9s

augustobt 11-29-2012 05:23 PM

Different styles.

Federer seems to be more like Zidane.

Gizo 11-29-2012 05:34 PM

Given how tennis is a completely irrelevant and minuscule sport compared to football, being the best football player of a single generation (which Messi is of this current generation) is probably more impressive than being the greatest tennis player of all-time (which Federer has a very strong claim of being).

The number of active professional football players nowadays alone is much, much greater than the number of amateur or professional players in tennis history.

NadalAgassi 11-29-2012 05:41 PM

Is Messi undisputably the best. I thought many also believed Cristiano Ronaldo was. I have seen both play but dont follow much European football anymore.

Gizo 11-29-2012 05:50 PM

Well Messi does outperform Ronaldo year after year in the Champions League which is the biggest stage in club football, and probably the highest quality football tournament in the world.

Both players score an incredible number of goals every year, although it looks likely that Messi will outscore Ronaldo again this year. However Messi creates far more goals than Ronaldo does.

BauerAlmeida 11-29-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7038870)
Is Messi undisputably the best. I thought many also believed Cristiano Ronaldo was. I have seen both play but dont follow much European football anymore.

Messi is only 25 years old and has 3 Ballon D' Or (best player in the world award that is given each year). And is probably going to win a 4th one in January.

Ronaldo is 27 and only has one.

Messi is ahead of Ronaldo. Ronaldo and Iniesta are probably the second and third best player in the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7038779)
Federer is more dominant in tennis than Messi is in soccer. Very few athletes were more dominant than Federer(ie Gretzky, Rice)

Messi is destroying records every match he plays and is only 25. It's impossible to compare because one is a team sport and the other is individual, but Messi is as dominant or more than Federer. Both are one of the most dominant in history though (with Jack Nicklaus, Kelly Slater, Michael Jordan, etc)

Goosehead 11-29-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoredge (Post 7038517)
We all know Federer was a football prodigy before playing tennis, do you think he would've been a GOAT player had he chose to play football? Better than Lionel Messi?

it isnt possible to be better than lionel messi at football,

i always watch him and barcelona play in la liga (skysports) every sat/sun,

messi is the gift that keeps on giving,

for he be the goat :) meh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eehhh.

axel89 11-29-2012 06:04 PM

i doubt federer would even make a living out of soccer the competition is 10x due to soccer being a much larger sport

forzamilan90 11-29-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7038870)

Both incredibly talented and heads and shoulders above anyone else currently. Messi's achieved more, but he's on the stronger team and scores a bit more and assists more. He's really good at what he does (Godly dribbling past defenders), but in terms of completeness I got to go with Ronaldo. In terms of the whole package he's up there. Overall though I think they are equal.

tennisMVP 11-29-2012 06:43 PM

Nadal is apparently the best golfer on the ATP tour, and was just as good at soccer as tennis. Never heard of Federer being good at sports outside of tennis.

Ronaldo 11-29-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7038803)

Who is this Ronaldo?

sureshs 11-29-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 7038972)
Who is this Ronaldo?

Isn't it Humbalito?