Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Racquets That Have "Jumped the Shark"? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446926)

SFrazeur 11-29-2012 06:56 PM

Racquets That Have "Jumped the Shark"?

I was curious to know what racquet iterations people think have declined or are just not nearly as good as before? If they have declined then what release or generation did this happen?

Ex: At what point did the 6.1 series, Prestige etc decline if at all? nCode? Ti?

-SF

Fuji 11-29-2012 07:01 PM

6.1 series stopped being awesome for me after the Hyperstaff line. Ncode was okay, but after that it all went downhill for me! :razz:

Prestiges are always nice for me though. I don't like the FXP series at all, but even the LM has it's charm with the stiffer response.

-Fuji

OHBH 11-29-2012 07:12 PM

All "O" port rackets

SFrazeur 11-29-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7038982)
6.1 series stopped being awesome for me after the Hyperstaff line. Ncode was okay, but after that it all went downhill for me! :razz:

Prestiges are always nice for me though. I don't like the FXP series at all, but even the LM has it's charm with the stiffer response.

-Fuji

For you what made the HPS awesome and the nCdode not so much?

-SF

jasonmiller 11-29-2012 07:56 PM

I probably liked the ncode better than the hps 6.1.

Babolats went downhill when they added "cortex". I highly doubt that it does anything other than annoy me when I spin the racquet in my hands while waiting for a serve.

vsbabolat 11-29-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7038982)

-Fuji

LM is garbage. It has no charm or redeeming qualities.

KFwinds 11-29-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBH (Post 7038998)
All "O" port rackets

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm surprised they have stuck around as long as they have :0

jkm07 11-29-2012 08:42 PM

All Prestiges after the i.Prestige have been disappointing. LM feels mushy... and FXP.. oh boy.

BlueB 11-29-2012 08:46 PM

O-ports

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFwinds (Post 7039132)
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm surprised they have stuck around as long as they have :0

Because they are awsome!

sargeinaz 11-29-2012 09:16 PM

The volkl 10 series. C10 Pro was/is a great frame. Tour 10 MidPlus Gen 1 is where it peaked. The Gen 2 and V-engine werent as good (but still not bad). DNX 10 and Pb10 were worse and the current Organix 10 sucks in my opinion. They should just re-release the T10Gen1 MP

cork_screw 11-29-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 7038969)
I was curious to know what racquet iterations people think have declined or are just not nearly as good as before? If they have declined then what release or generation did this happen?

Ex: At what point did the 6.1 series, Prestige etc decline if at all? nCode? Ti?

-SF

What is "jumped the shark" ???

(face palm, and eye roll). Even if I wrote that, I could identify that there would be no way anyone could come up with an idiomatic expression to make that sensible.

You mean "jumped the mark" And I know that wasn't a typo because "m" and "s" are way too far away on the keyboard (: I)

sansaephanh 11-29-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFwinds (Post 7039132)

I love my rebels =[

All in all i'd say the last good prestige was the microgel. Hefty beast. Really muted though. Reminds me of a Diablo Tour Mid. Hefty, muted, quick response off the stringbed, but nice if you're a big swinger.

Pro staff line... After the K for me. The K has such a nice feel. I actually enjoyed all the 95s in the prostaff line. Then all these muted sticks. Lost all the sharpness i enjoyed in every single previous iteration.

Favorite prostaffs. 6.0 90 & 95, 6.1 Classic, [K] 90 & 95, nCode 90 & 95. I've had a brief stint with the hyper carbon prostaff, a bit stiff for me, but i would have loved to mess around with some strings in that stick. The response was nice.

I can't quite comment on the prestiges as much siince i've only hit with each for about a day.

galain 11-29-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork_screw (Post 7039172)

(face palm, and eye roll). Even if I wrote that, I could identify that there would be no way anyone could come up with an idiomatic expression to make that sensible.

You mean "jumped the mark" And I know that wasn't a typo because "m" and "s" are way too far away on the keyboard (: I)

"Jumped the shark" is an expression that refers to an episode of the tv series Happy Days. Fonzie - one of the main characters, attempts to jump his motorcycle over a shark filled pool of water. After this, the series started going downhill, so this 'jumping the shark' episode was seen as the point at which the quality began to suffer. Since then, 'jumping the shark' has been widely used to describe any turning point at which things began to get worse.

It may not be a reference you're familiar with if you never caught the tv series.

vetinari 11-29-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

It is actually jumped the shark -- unless its too late and I'm missing your joke. Anyway, Refers to a happy days episode where fonzi jumped a shark waterskiing. The show never recovered from that bit and it became an idiom for something that has exceeded it's run, gone on past it's prime, etc. One of my favorite idioms actually.

SFrazeur 11-29-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

The idiom "Jump the shark" is derived from the episode of Happy Days when a leather jacket clad Fonz (Henry Winkler) jumps a shark while on water skis.
For something to "jump the shark" it means that the quality has deteriorated past the point of return. I'm borrowing the idiom usually applied to a TV series to that of any series of racquets.

-SF

SFrazeur 11-29-2012 09:56 PM

Additionally, there are other similar idioms: Seeing leprechauns (Bonanza); Nuke The Fridge (Indiana Jones). We need one for Tennis racquets!

-SF

NLBwell 11-29-2012 10:17 PM

Gone Big Bubba?

galain 11-29-2012 10:58 PM

Oops - of course - waterski's, not motorcycle! My mistake.

The Meat 11-29-2012 11:08 PM

Head prestiges
Head Flexpoint<Head Liquidmetal<Head Microgel<Head IG<Head Youtek<Classic(best IMO)

Wilson 6.1 90
BLX<BLX Prostaff<N-Code<K-Factor(best IMO)
Never tried hyperprostaff, need to one day

Prince
O-port<Every other racquet that came before that crap

NickJ 11-29-2012 11:18 PM

Love 'jumping the shark'. Try to use it as often as possible and love telling people how & why!! Anyway, back to rackets, Prince for me stopped being a major player when they started putting bloody big holes in the frames.